Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] C-Drive Wear Bushiing Seal Removal trick by Amel

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Ian,

If you look in the FILES section you will find Wear Bushing and Seal Replacement instructions by Amel. I posted this several months ago.

The instructions in French and English say to use a flat blade screwdriver and pry each seal out one at a time. It does not fully describe what I saw Jean and Franc at Amel Martinique do. I will try to describe what I saw:
Using a flat blade skinny screwdriver with a shaft if 10-12", position the blade end at nine o'clock and the handle end at three o'clock. Push the blade end under the first seal, then using the shaft hub, briskly push forward on the handle end of the screw driver and the seal pops out. There is some art involved because if you push the blade end too far you will scratch the inside wall. Jean and Franc were very careful to smooth the inside wall of the seal cavity so that the outside of the seal would not leak water. They were using 600 sandpaper and a soft cloth, cleaning as much as they sanded.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
Currently St John USVI
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

Giovanni TESTA

Hi Ian

,,,other solution :

with a strong drill make two little holes ( the seals have a metal stripe in side) at 180° than screw two long screws, little by little, to fix them at the first seal ( than the second,,,).

Than clamp them with a long pliers.( NOT pull them, to hard job, but possible). You have only to exert a lateral leverage on the borders.

Very easy.

Enyoj.

Giovanni TESTA

sv EUTIKIA

Richard Bay

South Africa

Il 21/12/2016 16:40, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] ha scritto:

[...]

Avast logo

greatketch@...

Or...  use a real seal puller...

Amazon.com: Lisle 58430 Shaft Type Seal Puller: Automotive

Much easier and less likely to damage the seal housing than using screwdrivers or other improvised solutions.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Hollywood FL

Bill,    Thanks. That is also what I was shown in La Rochelle. As you say, care is needed not to scratch the side, but it does work.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Hyeres

On 21 Dec 2016, at 15:41, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

eric freedman

I have been removing my lip seals that way every year since 2002 and it works great.

You just have to be careful to not go too close to the wall of the outer aspect of the hub.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Stephen Davis

Hi Bill,

Do you have this puller, and how well did it work at pulling your seals out? Seems like an easy solution if it will work in our application.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Martinique

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 4:42 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Or...  use a real seal puller...

Amazon.com: Lisle 58430 Shaft Type Seal Puller: Automotive

Much easier and less likely to damage the seal housing than using screwdrivers or other improvised solutions.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Hollywood FL

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Steve,

My first time I was helped by an "expert mechanic" who knew Amels...NOT!

He had 2 or 3 seal pullers, all of which broke. After about 3 hours the prop was off and another 3 hours and the seals were out.

Before my next haulout I received very well-written procedure from Gary Silver whose Amel knowledge I very much respect. I have used his original instructions since. His instructions call for drilling a small hole in the seal, then screwing a metal screw into the hole and pulling on the metal screw.

So, I was initiated to seal pulling devices by probably the wrong person, who BTW, called himself an expert and charged $90 an hour for 7 hours for a job that takes me about 1-2 hours. It was a great education, but unfortunately I developed certain prejudices from it.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 4:42 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Or...  use a real seal puller...

Amazon.com: Lisle 58430 Shaft Type Seal Puller: Automotive

Much easier and less likely to damage the seal housing than using screwdrivers or other improvised solutions.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Hollywood FL

Stephen Davis

Bill,

I've always used Gary's excellent instructions, and also the technique of drilling a small hole in the seal and using a screw to extract the seal with no issues. Between Aloha and others I've assisted, I've done the Cdrive service 5 times in the last 3 years. The most difficult extraction was another boat with very old and deteriorated seals, and it was a bit difficult to get the screw to hold. With that said, it was still done in an hour. If there were a seal puller which would extract the deepest seals, I'd use it, but nothing wrong with the screw technique.

You and Judy enjoy your holiday, and hope to catch up with you guys one of these days.

Steve
Aloha SM72