Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Dessalator pump not working

Tony Robinson <tonywrobinson51@...>

Just in case you didn't see my response under Dessalator 60, here it is again :

When my dessalotor 100 failed I called Dessalator in France. They put me in touch with their technician, a South African who lives in Spain. He was a real expert and instantly diagnosed the problem. In fact  the "clutched" wheel on the 24V motor had failed - that's why the system still worked on the 230V motor. The wheel spun both ways - it should only turn one way.

Anyway the technician's phone number is +34 637 89 03 33.

It's well worth giving him a call.....

Tony Robinson - Catriona R Amel 54 #102

To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:56 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Dessalator pump not working

Hi again,

It seems that the problem is that for the 24v motor the solenoid has failed, and for the 220v motor the capacitor has failed. Its seems quite coincidental, andI can only speculate that the problem for both was caused by a blocked pre-filter. I wonder if anyone could confirm?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

ya_fohi

Tony,

Yes I am in touch with Martin and as you say he is very helpful. My 24v motor is running as I write this, but with the solenoid bypassed. I think I have now fixed the solenoid - it was not making contact inside, so will try it again once the engine room as cooled down. As for the 220v one I need a new starting capacitor which is proving to be difficult to find here in Grenada.

Cheers,
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Mark & Debbie Mueller

Did you come up with the correct size capacitor for your watermaker?  I have a 160 liter per hour version and the capicator is painted obstructing the name plate.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Mark Mueller
A54 - 68 
Brass Ring
Ft. Lauderdale

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Mark

On our high pressure pump there are two capacitors.

• One is black 180 microfarad -0-20%, 220VAC, 40-60HZ FACON 70906.1412
  • One is white 70 microfarad +/-5% AC400V B, AC 450V C, 40/085/21 50-60 Hz ICAR Ecofill R-06-49A.

Let me  know if I can be of any other help.

Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 7:54 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Dessalator pump not working

Did you come up with the correct size capacitor for your watermaker?  I have a 160 liter per hour version and the capicator is painted obstructing the name plate.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Mark Mueller
A54 - 68 
Brass Ring
Ft. Lauderdale

Mark & Debbie Mueller

Hi Mohammad,

I removed the two capacitors on the high-pressure pump and measured their capacitance.  The first was 18mfd and the second measured 25mfd.  I assumed they should have been 30mfd each.  I replaced them with two new 30mfd and the pump started.  Subsequently, I looked through the owners group data and found a reference to 2-30mfd for the high-pressure pump.  I believe the posting was from Bill Rouse, however I went back to find the data to give proper credit and cannot find it again.

With those two large capacitors on your high-pressure pump you may want to check the amp draw and verify it is within the nameplate rating on the motor.  Thanks for your earlier reply.

Mark Mueller
A 54 – 68, Brass Ring
Fort Lauderdale

Paul,

That posting about 2 each 30mfd was me, but it was for a Dessalator 160. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018, 19:15 brass.ring@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Mohammad,

I removed the two capacitors on the high-pressure pump and measured their capacitance.  The first was 18mfd and the second measured 25mfd.  I assumed they should have been 30mfd each.  I replaced them with two new 30mfd and the pump started.  Subsequently, I looked through the owners group data and found a reference to 2-30mfd for the high-pressure pump.  I believe the posting was from Bill Rouse, however I went back to find the data to give proper credit and cannot find it again.

With those two large capacitors on your high-pressure pump you may want to check the amp draw and verify it is within the nameplate rating on the motor.  Thanks for your earlier reply.

Mark Mueller
A 54 – 68, Brass Ring
Fort Lauderdale