From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:46 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rub Rail

The rub rail suffered damage due to being struck by another boat while at anchor.  I've read about how this is a rubber strip applied to the hull.  On my boat (2005 Amel Super Maramu) it appears to be fiberglass.  Am I mistaken?  I can't feel any seam below the rub rail, it feels like and appears to be composite with the hull.  The gutter is a separate piece that sets on top of the rub rail and there is a seam there.

It's frustrating because I went to the other boat after they anchored and politely told them I had 100' of chain out (a 4:1 scope) and they were too close.  They said they would "keep an eye on it".  We should have moved then, but there are very few choices right now.  The collision occured due to wind adverse to current and the propensity for their Cabo Rico to "sail" on the anchor.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Duane Siegfri

Hi Mike,

That drawing is interesting.  It appears not to distinguish between the hull below the rubrail, and the rubrail.  But the rubrail isn't fiberglass, at least I think it's not based on the gouges I see.  It does look like thermoplastic though.  The sketch does not infer a joint at the bottom of the rubrail, and my finger doesn't find a joint there either.  I wonder if they put the rubrail in the mold and fiberglassed to it?  Or is it just part of the hull???

Duane
Wanderer, SM #477  The penultimate SM.

Mike Ondra

Duane,

I cannot speak to your hull rubrail details, only our SM#240. They may have changed, which is why it is so important to always include hull #’s in these postings.

As you saw in the drawing, the rub rail proper is a continuation of the hull turning out, then up, and then turned back towards the boat. It is the same stuff as the hull, fiberglass, the sketch even showing the special mold that is used when laying it up. There is no joint between the rub rail protrusion and the hull . It appears that after attaching the deck/cabin house to the hull, they are glassed together on the inside to form a structural monocoque hull.  The rubber gutter insert simply closes the exposed gap between the 2 parts. We have had our rubrail repaired by a fiberglass shop.

Hope that helps.

Mike

ALETES SM#240

That drawing is interesting.  It appears not to distinguish between the hull below the rubrail, and the rubrail.  But the rubrail isn't fiberglass, at least I think it's not based on the gouges I see.  It does look like thermoplastic though.  The sketch does not infer a joint at the bottom of the rubrail, and my finger doesn't find a joint there either.  I wonder if they put the rubrail in the mold and fiberglassed to it?  Or is it just part of the hull???

Duane

Wanderer, SM #477  The penultimate SM.

Duane Siegfri

Thanks Mike.