[Amel Yacht Owners] Batteries with different voltages

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Olivier,

Are your connectors clean?
A few months ago, I also had 1 battery with lower voltage, I neglected to take it seriously, the result end up cooking 6 out of my 8 house batteries…
If this was to happened again, I would disconnect the bad batteries and only run with 6 or 4 until you get new ones.
As I don’t want the domino effect to happened again…
Wish I was more help.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Harbor View Marina, Tortola, BVI

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Batteries with different voltages
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, January 30, 2017, 10:21 AM

Hello,
on our
Amel SM 2000 we have a batterie
problem.The voltges of one of the two parallel
connected batteries get down, that means one has 13,2V the
other one 10,8. It is the same for all the working
batteries. I already changed the low voltage batteries and
connected just the high voltage batteries together. After
two days I had the same effect. One of the parallel
connected batterie has around 13 voltage and the other one
around 10.I spoke to many people but no one has an
idea how that could be.Looking forward to an
answer.
All the best
OliverSV JoEmi

Oliver Buhlert

Hello Alxandre,

thank you for your answer. Yes I cleaned the connection which were nearly black. I already put the good batteries together and disconnect the bad ones, but after two days the same effect, one batterie with lower and one with normal voltage.

All the best

Oliver

To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, January 30, 2017, 10:21 AM

Hello,
on our
Amel SM 2000 we have a batterie
problem.The voltges of one of the two parallel
connected batteries get down, that means one has 13,2V the
other one 10,8. It is the same for all the working
batteries. I already changed the low voltage batteries and
connected just the high voltage batteries together. After
two days I had the same effect. One of the parallel
connected batterie has around 13 voltage and the other one
around 10.I spoke to many people but no one has an
idea how that could be.Looking forward to an
answer.
All the best
OliverSV JoEmi

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Very strange…
Are the batteries becoming low voltage constantly on the same side (i.e. negative) to the house bank or random?
Is that accros the entire battery bank? Or more consistently on the same connection…

Out of curiosity, what type of batteries are you using? Flooded? AGM?

Sincerely, Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, January 30, 2017, 11:05 AM

von Baar uster@rocketmail.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>:

Good morning Olivier,

Are your connectors clean?

A few months ago, I also had 1 battery with lower voltage, I
neglected to take it seriously, the result end up cooking 6
out of my 8 house batteries…

If this was to happened again, I would disconnect the bad
batteries and only run with 6 or 4 until you get new ones.

As I don’t want the domino effect to happened again…

Wish I was more help.

Sincerely, Alexandre

SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

Harbor View Marina, Tortola, BVI

On Mon, 1/30/17, qmvwv3fna4dth3r32bdwtz3bpy7meopg2s2xlnuq@yahoo.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Batteries with different
voltages

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

Date: Monday, January 30, 2017, 10:21 AM

Hello,

on our

Amel SM 2000 we have a batterie

problem.The voltges of one of the two parallel

connected batteries get down, that means one has 13,2V
the

other one 10,8. It is the same for all the working

batteries. I already changed the low voltage batteries
and

connected just the high voltage batteries together.
After

two days I had the same effect. One of the parallel

connected batterie has around 13 voltage and the other
one

around 10.I spoke to many people but no one has an

idea how that could be.Looking forward to an

answer.

All the best

OliverSV JoEmi

qmvwv3fna4dth3r32bdwtz3bpy7meopg2s2xlnuq@...

Well, I already took out the low voltage ones and just connected the high voltage ones with over 13,2 V - all the same age and the same brand. After two days I had the same effect one of the parallel connected batterie has around 13 voltage and the other one around 10.
It was not only one pair of batteries with this problem, it was the entire batterie bank. One of the pair with high and one with low voltage.

All the covers of the cables has not any more the original color, the red one looks almost like the black ones. The owner changed 2 years ago one pair of batteries - for sure that was a mistake.

Oliver

SV JoEmi

Oliver Buhlert

It's random and across the entire battery bank. The batteries are flooded.

All the best

Oliver
SV JoEmi

To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Monday, January 30, 2017, 10:21 AM

Hello,

on our

Amel SM 2000 we have a batterie

problem.The voltges of one of the two parallel

connected batteries get down, that means one has 13,2V
the

other one 10,8. It is the same for all the working

batteries. I already changed the low voltage batteries
and

connected just the high voltage batteries together.
After

two days I had the same effect. One of the parallel

connected batterie has around 13 voltage and the other
one

around 10.I spoke to many people but no one has an

idea how that could be.Looking forward to an

answer.

All the best

OliverSV JoEmi

Symphony

Here are some simple ideas for gaining information before spending money or changing wiring, Oliver

can you do without electricity for a bit, long enough to disconnect the batteries?  then

1) Use a a good Ohm meter to check the resistance in each connecting wire used to parallel and series the batteries

if all the wires from terminal to terminal show 0 resistance then

2) check individual resting voltage of each isolated battery
3) do you have a modern load tester? test the isolated batteries with this instrument.
4) is there anything under the batteries that could provide a hidden ground connection?

This may give you an idea of how to proceed with this unusual problem that does not seem to be Amel-related.

Richard
Tartan 4100 in Connecticut

Well, I already took out the low voltage ones and just connected the high voltage ones with over 13,2 V - all the same age and the same brand. After two days I had the same effect one of the parallel connected batterie has around 13 voltage and the other one around 10.
It was not only one pair of batteries with this problem, it was the entire batterie bank. One of the pair with high and one with low voltage.

All the covers of the cables has not any more the original color, the red one looks almost like the black ones. The owner changed 2 years ago one pair of batteries - for sure that was a mistake.
Oliver
SV JoEmi

Alan Leslie

As Bill said previously, if you have a shorted cell in one of the pair it will be low voltage and because you have 24V across each pair, the not so bad one will rise up in voltage....and its more likely to be the one on the +ve end.
Sounds to me that all the batteries are dead / dying, some worse than others but all on the way out.
I would say that all the batteries should be replaced and also, it seems, the cabling.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

---In amelyachtowners@..., <qmvwv3fna4dth3r32bdwtz3bpy7meopg2s2xlnuq@...> wrote :

Well, I already took out the low voltage ones and just connected the high voltage ones with over 13,2 V - all the same age and the same brand. After two days I had the same effect one of the parallel connected batterie has around 13 voltage and the other one around 10.
It was not only one pair of batteries with this problem, it was the entire batterie bank. One of the pair with high and one with low voltage.

All the covers of the cables has not any more the original color, the red one looks almost like the black ones. The owner changed 2 years ago one pair of batteries - for sure that was a mistake.

Oliver

SV JoEmi

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

Hi,

Did you check each battery separately with an electronic battery tester after letting them run under load after charging  for 15 minutes?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Hello Oliver,

I think you will have to face the fact that your batteries need replacing.

From what you have told us, one battery in a pair reads 10.8 volts right ?

That is a dead battery...it has one cell not functioning.....ie shorted out, probably because of deposits in the bottom of the battery case caused by not regularly recharging the batteries to full charge.

This can be sometimes temporarily fixed by desulphating or equalising the batteries...you need a battery charger with an equalise function to do this...if your battery charge has this function, you should try it, BUT be sure to have all your 24V devices switched off as the equalising voltage will be around 32V which can damage some electronics.

Back to the batteries.....
10.8 / 5 = 2.16 volts per cell...OK?....so if that battery had 6 functioning cells it would be 6 x 2.16 = 12.96V...not bad!

Your batteries are in series pairs, so if one battery in that pair never reaches more than 10.8 volts (because of a shorted out cell), the other battery in the pair will have around 13.2 volts on it (the 13 volt battery may also be failing but not yet as bad as the 10.8 volt battery) 24 - 10.8 = 13.2

In any event ALL of the batteries that only read 10.8 volts are in big trouble and need replacing....but you shouldn't just replace those, you should replace all of them to be sure all the batteries in the bank are the same brand, same size, same age, and make sure that all the battery connections are clean and tight, and all the cables in good condition.

Another hint....buy a copy of Nigel Calder's "Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual",

Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual : Nigel Calder : 9780071790338

it will help you immeasurably with problems like this.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Monday, January 30, 2017, 10:21 AM

Hello,

on our

Amel SM 2000 we have a batterie

problem.The voltges of one of the two parallel

connected batteries get down, that means one has 13,2V
the

other one 10,8. It is the same for all the working

batteries. I already changed the low voltage batteries
and

connected just the high voltage batteries together.
After

two days I had the same effect. One of the parallel

connected batterie has around 13 voltage and the other
one

around 10.I spoke to many people but no one has an

idea how that could be.Looking forward to an

answer.

All the best

OliverSV JoEmi

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Check the batteries at delivery. Sometimes they can be damage from the beginning.

/Annsofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPad

31 jan. 2017 kl. 09:09 skrev divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Hello Oliver,

I think you will have to face the fact that your batteries need replacing.

From what you have told us, one battery in a pair reads 10.8 volts right ?

To: amelyachtowners@...