Hauling the boat - strap locations

Duane Siegfri

The Amel Manual doesn't specifically note the recommended locations of the lifting straps (when under the hull).  The last time I had it hauled that's where we put the straps though.

Is there a better location for them?

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

greatketch@...

The exact location isn't  very critical--unless you put it somewhere that damages a transducer or thru-hull fitting.

Amel's recommendation is at the mizzen upper chainplates for the aft strap. The only thing that can go bad here is if it got hung up on the prop, but that would be very unlikely.

The forward strap goes FORWARD of the main upper chainplates, about even with the hatch over the forward head to avoid interference with the sonic speed sensor which is about even with the main upper shroud chainplates and depth transducer which is just aft of that overhead hatch. (at least on my boat!)

The last time we were lifted, the boat wouldn't quite fit that way in the lift, so we put the forward strap just forward of the keel, and aft of the upper chainplate.  Cleared the speed sensor and it worked fine.

Our boat came with some great drawings of the hull with strap locations indicated, and just as important, places where the straps would be a problem are clearly marked. Handing a copy of that to the lift operator makes it easy even if we lack a common spoken language.  Lacking such a drawing, a photo of the boat safely in the slings is a good idea for the next time.

If you avoid the sensors forward of the keel, everything else is really quite simple.

The SM2K manual has a photo of the boat with the thru-hull locations marked.  That is a good start.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands.

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sailor63109@...> wrote :

The Amel Manual doesn't specifically note the recommended locations of the lifting straps (when under the hull).  The last time I had it hauled that's where we put the straps though.

Is there a better location for them?

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Duane Siegfri

Thanks for the reply Bill and Joel.  The lift went fine.

On #477 the sonic speed transducer is about even with the back of the forward lifting plate, and the depth transducer is two feet forward of that, about at the back of the fwd head hatch.  It seems the right place for the forward strap is at the fwd lower shroud for the main mast so it doesn't lift on either of those transducers.

I can see how you could put the fwd strap at the root of the keel, but I would have the operator incline the strap aft so it doesn't try to ride against the sonic speed transducer.

Duane

greatketch@...

Lifting with the strap as far back against the keel as it could go worked for us and cleared both the sonic speed transducers.

To be honest, I actually wasn't all that worried about the sonic speed. It had become quite unreliable. One of the projects for that haulout was to install a backup speed device-- has now become our primary speed and log as the sonic has become so flaky as to be worthless as a practical navigation tool.

Our next haulout will see the sonic speed log removed and the holes in the hull patched. It was one of those things that was just awesome--when it worked.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands
Ready to move south and east...

Alan Leslie

Hi Bill,

We get the travel lift slings placed in line with the masts.

re the sonic speed....mine is totally unreliable also...I was thinking of putting in an Airmar thru hull sonic sensor....I believe B&G once offered this device in their options for Hydra / Hercules.

What did you replace the B&G sonic system with ?

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437