[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Insurance - More comments & Group Insurance Question

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

In my experience we all compare prices of insurance without really being able to completely compare everything we are buying. So, in most cases we wind up buying from the low-cost provider, and/or because the policy has clauses that are meaningful to us, such as hurricane coverage.

We certainly did not buy our Amels based on Amel being a low-priced boat that does one thing. Also, most of us really will not know what we have bought until we have to make a claim. I never had to make a claim. So, in my 16+ years experience all of the carriers I had were great...they accepted my money.

Regarding "single handed" coverage, I believe that regardless of whether the vessel has 1 or 6 crew, if there is any indication that an accident occurs because of crew not maintaining a proper watch, or if there is any indication that the boat is not being operated safely and maintained properly, your insurance company will refuse to pay a claim.

It is too bad that there is not a member of this group that could leverage the reliability and safety record of Amel and the power of this group's membership to provide a policy written just for Amel owners. Is there someone in this group that has the experience to put this together?

Bill
X-BeBe
Galveston

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 6:56 AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good morning Bill,

The liability is for 3 million Euro (mu current insurance is 7 million euro).

Ho yes, I can’t believe the difference between Pantaenius that quoted me for 7.000 Euro (or $7500)
My current insurance which is 3700 Euro (or $3900)
And Y Yacht insurance which 2400 Euro (or $2600).

Therefore Y Insurance is the strictest regarding coverage during named storm, there is no coverage unless you are on a crate in specific location.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Insurance (2016/7) - Single handed coverage??
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017, 6:45 AM

Alexandre,
Was
that quote for hull insurance only?  or did it include
liability coverage as well?
That is about what we pay for our
Pantaneous policy, just for hull insurance.  US$3M
liability adds another $1200 per annum.
It is fascinating to me to see the
differences in terms and pricing even between policies
written by the same company.  It just reinforces the advice
to shop and negotiate for your own situation, and not rely
on anecdotal comments from others to decide what works for
you.  Although those anecdotes can sure help with the
negotiation :)
Bill KinneySM#160
HarmonieMayaguez, Puerto

Rico

---In
amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote
:

Good morning,

Just to add information to the subject.

I requested a quote from Y Yacht Insurance.

for 280.000 Euro vessel ($300.000) the premium is 2400 Euro
($2600) for cruising area (Easter) Caribbean Lat 9N to 19N
and Long 58W to 68W PLUS the ABC (Aruba, Bonaire and
Curacao).

There is NO coverage between June and November during
windstorm name, unless the vessel is:

-In the water Chaguaramas (Trinidad) or the ABC

-Ashore in Grenada or Antigua on the One piece purpose built
crate (deductible is increase to 6000 Euro)

-In the new Marina in Fort De France, in double slip with
all lines double (deductible is increase to 6000 Euro)

-Solo is limited to 18 hours.

We have been talking back and forth, I mentioned my lines
are always double, explain how many fenders I use, etc. so
they would consider adding the Anse Marcel with triple dock
lines.

I am seriously considering using them once my current
insurance expires.

Sincerely, Alexandre

SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

Harbor View Marina, Tortola, BVI

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Definitely true.

I can’t resist mention I purchased my insurance from DeLassee base on the forum, if I never had a claim I would have advertise them.
But I had an accident (my boat is ins its slip at the marina - another boat looses control hit me, then he owner panic put full reverse and destroyed the bow pulpit).
While “my” insurance recognized I was a “zero” fault, they deem not worth pursing the other insurance…
They also never sent an expert to help assessing the damaged (while the other insurance did for the other boat).
At the end between the “vetuste” (not being new) I received 1/4 of the total damages.
Not to mention, they said the estimate for the repair quote ($20.000) was too much, took them 3 months to get me someone else for the same amount… (delay and cost at my expense).

I was told nowadays insurers are more like “lawyers” with the way they handle cases, will always find something somewhere not to reimbursed.
And I totally believe that even with several crews onboard, insurance will find ways to justify less reimbursement.

Talking with Y Yacht insurance, I told them I was often make fun of because I have “30” fenders onboard racing from 8” to 21” diameter which I use in marina as well as anchor (if I have neighbors).
My reason is simple: too many times I see people not knowing what they do, plus the so called “local captain” (smelling beer 3ft away) delivering boat and who couldn’t care less (not too long ago, one used the corner of the concrete dock to pivot/rotate the boat…), and of course there is always the possibility that “I” will be at fault because current or wind are against me.
Fenders are a lot less expensive than deductible or/and repairs.

Alexandre

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Insurance - More comments & Group Insurance Question
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017, 7:38 AM

6:56 AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com

------------------------------ --------------

On Thu, 2/23/17, greatketch@yahoo.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Insurance (2016/7) - Single
handed coverage??

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com

Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017, 6:45 AM

com, <uster@...> wrote

:

[...]

JEFFREY KRAUS

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good afternoon Jeff,

Do you happen to have direct links to the articles on “Marine Law” or “Maritime Law”, as I am a bit short on time (have to work) an on top of that have serious back pain…
I am also considering only taking Liability.

Sincerely, Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017, 12:08 PM

Alexandra,If you have some free time, and
the inclination to verify your paragraph regarding lawyers
and insurance companies trying to justify less reimbersment,
google marine law, limitation of liability. You'll learn
why maritime insurance companies are protected in many ways
that most would find outrageous. It will discuss the
historical precedents and the "why" limited
liability exists.In
the Maritime legal world, there is no such thing as a slam
dunk situation (you seem to have found out, unfortunately),
regardless of what the circumstances would appear to reveal
to the rational mind, and a reasonable person.There aren't a lot of poor
insurance brokers. I wonder why? They're selling you peace
of mind, but when you need them, often the payoff is nothing
but disappointment.My insurance is coming up for
renewal, and the thread you good folks have engaged in will
get a renewed focus from me. I saved it for later digestion.
It's a topic that, for me, is like going to get a tooth
pulled. You know you gotta get it done, but you would rather
not go there.Fair
Winds to All,Jeff
Spirit Amel 54 #14

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Alexandre
Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com [amelyachtowners]
wrote:

[...]

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Insurance - More
comments & Group Insurance Question

To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com"
<amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>

Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017, 7:38 AM

wrote:

Good morning Bill,

The liability is for 3 million Euro (mu current insurance
is

7 million euro).

Ho yes, I can’t believe the difference between
Pantaenius

that quoted me for 7.000 Euro (or $7500)

My current insurance which is 3700 Euro (or $3900)

And Y Yacht insurance which 2400 Euro (or $2600).

Therefore Y Insurance is the strictest regarding
coverage

during named storm, there is no coverage unless you are on

crate in specific location.

Sincerely, Alexandre

------------------------------ --------------

On Thu, 2/23/17, greatketch@yahoo.com

[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.

com> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Insurance (2016/7) -
Single

handed coverage??

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.

com

Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017, 6:45 AM

[...]

Dominique Guenot

I insured S/V Viva with Panteanius 20 months ago after trying to work with French Insurance brokers/ French insurance companies to no avail. I always felt I was not insured. In addition there was so many limitations in the geographical scope for a round the world tour.

As far as I know by reading contracts and internet:

Insurance laws and markets are historically very different in France than in Germany [Pantaenius].

As a key example in France for Yatchs you are insured in "valeur d'usage" [used value hence "vetuste" will reduce the amount of your claim] while in Germany Pantaenius will insure you for "valeur a neuf" - new value or value to replace.

I requested upfront quotes for round the world and I ended up with 3 prices: Med, Atlantic including Caribbean and then Pacific.

So far so good with no claim to test my choice.

Dominique Guenot

S/V Viva

Opua, New Zealand

Duane Siegfri

I'll tell you all, Pantaenius does not get my recommendation.

We were struck by another boat, while both were at anchor during a windstorm.  I had asked the other boat to move days before and they refused saying they would "keep and eye on it".  The anchorage got very crowded and there was nowhere to go when we were expecting heavy winds.  The night of the heavy winds (35 to 40 knots) they approached my port very close by and I set out fenders in anticipation of a collision.  The next thing we knew they were on our starboard bearing down on us and dragging anchor.  We had a collision on our starboard, the fenders were on port...

It took 3 weeks for Pantaenius to send a surveyor, and now at 6 weeks I'm in a boatyard with the "investigation" phase over (to see if there was structural damage to the hull laminate).  Now, I can't get the claims agent to call me back to schedule the surveyor that the may or may not want to review the hull laminate.  On top of that they won't even state whether this is a covered event!!!  I pasted their letter below.  Would this give you any confidence that they are going to pay the claim?

Duane:

We acknowledge receipt of your two emails dated February 13th and February 20th, 2017.

We review your comments set forth in your email along with the estimate you provided from Rybovich to determine if the charges are fair, reasonable, loss-related, and covered in accordance with the terms and conditions of your Pantaenius America Yacht Policy.  We have cc’d our assigned surveyor on this matter who will advise as to whether or not a follow-up inspection of the reported damages is required.

I am presently out of the office traveling for work until Friday, February 24th, 2017, but will be occasionally checking my emails from a remote location.

Our claim file remains open, active, and under investigation. The foregoing request and steps taken during our investigation are not intended to be and shall not be construed as an indication or guarantee of coverage.  The foregoing is not an admission of liability and is strictly without prejudice, and all rights , exclusions, and defenses available under the policy and the law are hereby reserved.

Thomas Mullady | Claims
Pantaenius America
500 Mamaroneck Avenue|Harrison, NY 10528|United States of America

Dear Tom,

Attached is the estimate for the repairs.  Note that the attached firm price Additional Work Authorization (AWA) is in addition to the previous estimate.

The repair company noted there was some structural laminate delamination, but it was limited to a few square inches.  They are more than willing to talk to the Surveyor or you if that would be desireable.

This  does not include the yard charges, electric, and holding tank and holding tank connections costs.  We decided to stay on the boat, so that will help keep the insurance claim down.

Please let me know whether:

1.) The charges are reasonable per the insurance policy, and;
2.) If the surveyor needs to review the damage with the gel coat removed prior to repairs proceeding.  We would like this to happen as immediate as possible to reduce the time in the yard.

Thank you,

Duane

==============================

I thought Pantaenius was one of the best in the industry, but their not earning that reputation for me.

Duane

Wanderer SM#477

jandrkennedy@...

Interesting article from another source on Insurance - with some basics.

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Hello Duane,

Last time I anchored (a month ago), I was just thinking of your accident and (since a boat anchoring too closed) I put out all my 30 fenders.
And this is unfair that “we” care about our vessels and other just don’t care…

Really sorry Pantaenius is treating like that as well…

I wish we could create our own insurance.

Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017, 4:21 PM

[...]

Ian Park

Thought I would just add a couple of excerpts from my correspondence with Y Yachts last year when I changed Ocean Hobo's insurance to them. Perhaps colleagues currently using them might inquire from Barrie how the special Amel policy is coming along? Mine renews in May and I will inquire then.

Ian

Ocean Hobo - currently missing this season with senior family illness.

FROM Y YACHTS

It is normal when purchasing insurance to give a low premium priority, and to assume the cover provided and the service given by yacht insurers to all be the same. Yacht insurers provide very different cover and very different services!

It is also normal to assume that you will never make a claim. However, the premium you pay should ensure you get the best treatment should such an unfortunate event occur. It is better if the claims department of your insurance provider represents you rather than the underwriters.

We would be most grateful if you would acknowledge receipt of this email and your reaction to it would be much appreciated.

With best wishes,

Claire

Miss Claire Froggatt Dip CII

(Business Coordinator)

www.yyachtinsurance.com

FROM ME TO Y YACHTS

I read with interest the separate policies for Gunfleet and Oyster yachts, based on the build quality of the marque. It might be worth looking also at Amels. They are still totally hand built in La Rochelle. Their build quality is at least equal to Oyster, with the addition of watertight forward and aft cabin doors. The boats are designed to be sailed by a cruising couple and repairable anywhere in the world. The majority are cruised by couples who know, understand and maintain the boats themselves. The Amel owners website on Yahoo is a continuous source of self help amongst owners and a testimony to the almost over engineered quality of the boats.

I will mention Y Yachts on the Amel site as there are periodic queries about insurance.

Best wishes

Ian

REPLY FROM MD ON SAME DAY

Good morning Ian from where I call our French Office (my second home only 80 miles E.S.E. of La Rochelle and the Amel factory)!

Many thanks for your email and welcome on board.

I had an Amel Maramu for more than ten years in the Caribbean and did two Atlantic crossings one a bit early in March with 35kts for 24 hours with gusts of 45kts when my daughter managed 12.5kts down a wave whilst on the helm. She thought she was sailing a dinghy! I have never felt safer on any yacht.

The plan is to have an Amel policy but over the next six months we are going to improve the Oyster and Gunfleet policies and there will also be a Y Yacht Insurance policy 2A.e  The Amel policy will be announced when the even wider cover is available.

My team will be in touch very soon and I send my best wishes -

Barrie Sullivan  (Managing Director)

Patrick McAneny

Duane, I would not be overly concerned about Pantaenius covering your damages at this point , it appears that your emails were only sent about ten days ago and were acknowledged . I found that it was the surveyors schedule that held things up , although overall I was not unhappy with the coverage / service I received from Pantaenius and Tom Mullady. I know that when I had a claim ( lightning damage) that I was anxious and eager to have the insurance co. look at the damage and accept responsibility for it . Tom did take a day or two to respond to emails sometimes , I think he is overworked and could use some help. The email he sent you has the same boilerplate language about coverage , don't read anything into that. I hope your  damages/claim are resolved soon to your satisfaction.
Pat
SM Shenanigans