[Amel Yacht Owners] Caribbean Customs and Immigration


Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Mark,

"The Caribbean" is a combination of about 15 independent countries, each with different rules. 

You should register with US SVRS, if you haven't. SVRS allows US citizens clear electronically. SailClear is helpful, but you still have to physically report to officials. SailClear will help you prepare documents. 

As you know, noonsite.com is the best information available. 

The best tool we used to clear into 58 countries was a 1 page Crew List, which we printed on arrival. It included a photo of the boat and about 12 specifications including measurements, engine hp, dinghy info, etc. Also, included was a photo of the photo-page of our passports and all of the identifying information. This crew list accomplished two things: it communicates that you are professional, and it makes the official's job easy. When we checked into a country that needed another piece of information, we added it to our Crew List form. In more than half of the countries, the officials used our Crew List as the official clearance document and we did not have to fill out any form. But, even if you have to fill out their form, the Crew List makes it easy. 

I can email it to you. 


CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Galveston Island
Sent using Google Fi
+1(832) 380-4970

   


On Mar 8, 2017 07:34, "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Does anyone have recommendations for on-line tools such as SailClear for the check-in procedures in the Caribbean? Do they help? Any suggestions on what to use, speed the process and make it easier?

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currenlty cruising – Black Point – Exuma Islands, Bahamas

www.creampuff.us

 



Mark Erdos
 

Thanks Bill. The Crew List is a good idea. I’ll look forward to seeing yours and will most likely plagiarize.

 

We cannot do SVRS since I am British, Cindy is American and Cream Puff is BVI.

 

I do use noonsite but find it is lacking in details for vessels other than USA or American travelers. Most often we check with the “official” government C&I site to get the info we need.

 

I thought SailClear sounded too good to be true. And, there is also the concern of website security etc.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currenlty cruising - Black Point – Exuma Islands, Bahamas

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 8:59 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Caribbean Customs and Immigration

 

 

Mark,

 

"The Caribbean" is a combination of about 15 independent countries, each with different rules. 

 

You should register with US SVRS, if you haven't. SVRS allows US citizens clear electronically. SailClear is helpful, but you still have to physically report to officials. SailClear will help you prepare documents. 

 

As you know, noonsite.com is the best information available. 

 

The best tool we used to clear into 58 countries was a 1 page Crew List, which we printed on arrival. It included a photo of the boat and about 12 specifications including measurements, engine hp, dinghy info, etc. Also, included was a photo of the photo-page of our passports and all of the identifying information. This crew list accomplished two things: it communicates that you are professional, and it makes the official's job easy. When we checked into a country that needed another piece of information, we added it to our Crew List form. In more than half of the countries, the officials used our Crew List as the official clearance document and we did not have to fill out any form. But, even if you have to fill out their form, the Crew List makes it easy. 

 

I can email it to you. 


CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Galveston Island
Sent using Google Fi
+1(832) 380-4970

   

 

 

On Mar 8, 2017 07:34, "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Does anyone have recommendations for on-line tools such as SailClear for the check-in procedures in the Caribbean? Do they help? Any suggestions on what to use, speed the process and make it easier?

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currenlty cruising – Black Point – Exuma Islands, Bahamas

www.creampuff.us

 

 


greatketch@...
 

We found Noonsite to be good place to start our research.  It is comprehensive and you will find an answer. 

Unfortunately, while it might be "best available", the information on Noonsite can be quite out of date, and is very infrequently updated.  For example, they have the check-in requirements for Puerto Rico quite wrong.  Not disastrously so, but obviously several years behind the real world and not in accordance with current regulations.  Just look at the dates for the posted comments.  There is very little website traffic on Noonsite these days. Official vetted and edited updates of the detailed pages come very infrequently. The PR clearance  information was last updated in 2014, despite well publicized changes to small boat clearance procedures in the meantime. In my opinion, Noonsite is "coasting" on name and reputation, and is getting less useful by the year.

Unfortunately, there is no source I have found to have an update cycle fast enough to recommend as really uniformly  authoritative. Even the e-book cruising guides that claim to have annual updates we have found to be years behind changes on the ground.

We always check as many sources as possible for information, usually, but not always, finding the website for the national government involved to be the most useful with current requirements, if not always the clearest explanations!  Who does the US Customs and Border Patrol get to write the text on their website?  I think they farm it out to the same people who wrote the manual for that last electronic gadget I bought from China...

I see so much information posted on web forums and such that is just plain wrong, or at least presenting a highly exceptional case as a generality, that postings of unknown provenance I tend to deeply discount.

We have found SailClear to be a good idea, that isn't actually used by the local officials.  Are there any countries that people have found it to actually be used as advertised?

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
La Perguera, Puerto Rico


karkauai
 

Please, Bill, post it in the files section.  What a great idea!

Kent
Kristy SM243


Stephen Davis
 

Sail Clear works at least part time in the countries listed on the site. It really depends on whether or not the computer system is up and running that day. I successfully used the system at St Lucia in December 2016. 

Steve
Aloha SM72
Sint Maarten 

On Mar 8, 2017, at 09:40, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

We found Noonsite to be good place to start our research.  It is comprehensive and you will find an answer. 


Unfortunately, while it might be "best available", the information on Noonsite can be quite out of date, and is very infrequently updated.  For example, they have the check-in requirements for Puerto Rico quite wrong.  Not disastrously so, but obviously several years behind the real world and not in accordance with current regulations.  Just look at the dates for the posted comments.  There is very little website traffic on Noonsite these days. Official vetted and edited updates of the detailed pages come very infrequently. The PR clearance  information was last updated in 2014, despite well publicized changes to small boat clearance procedures in the meantime. In my opinion, Noonsite is "coasting" on name and reputation, and is getting less useful by the year.

Unfortunately, there is no source I have found to have an update cycle fast enough to recommend as really uniformly  authoritative. Even the e-book cruising guides that claim to have annual updates we have found to be years behind changes on the ground.

We always check as many sources as possible for information, usually, but not always, finding the website for the national government involved to be the most useful with current requirements, if not always the clearest explanations!  Who does the US Customs and Border Patrol get to write the text on their website?  I think they farm it out to the same people who wrote the manual for that last electronic gadget I bought from China...

I see so much information posted on web forums and such that is just plain wrong, or at least presenting a highly exceptional case as a generality, that postings of unknown provenance I tend to deeply discount.

We have found SailClear to be a good idea, that isn't actually used by the local officials.  Are there any countries that people have found it to actually be used as advertised?

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
La Perguera, Puerto Rico


Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Kent, 

Our Crew List has information on it that we would not want to publicly share, but I will modify it and place it in the files section.

Bill

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Please, Bill, post it in the files section.  What a great idea!

Kent
Kristy SM243



karkauai
 

Thanks, Bill!
Kent


Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

I assume that you saw the Word file that I uploaded to the files section.

Bill

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Thanks, Bill!
Kent



Mark Erdos
 

Bill,

 

Thanks for sharing this.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 4:04 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Caribbean Customs and Immigration

 

 

I assume that you saw the Word file that I uploaded to the files section.

 

Bill

 

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Thanks, Bill!

Kent

 


Alejandro Paquin
 

Hello Bill,
I would also be interested in this document, to see how you put it together.
Best regards,
Alex Paquin
s/v SIMPATICO
Maramu 1981
alex.paquin at usa.net


Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Alex,

Here is the link to the Word File:

File : /Crew List Form.doc
Uploaded by : svbebe <yahoogroups@...>
Description : You can use this form for entering new countries, scan and insert passport images and enter specific information

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/files/Crew%20List%20Form.doc

Bill
X-BeBe
Galveston Island

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 5:09 PM, alex.paquin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hello Bill,

I would also be interested in this document, to see how you put it together.
Best regards,
Alex Paquin
s/v SIMPATICO
Maramu 1981
alex.paquin at usa.net



karkauai
 

Got it, thanks again!
Kent

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
Panama cell: +507-61171896
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Mar 8, 2017, at 4:03 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

I assume that you saw the Word file that I uploaded to the files section.

Bill

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Thanks, Bill!
Kent