Starboard electric genoa winch got lazy

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Hello,

We started a trip about 30 hours ago and the starboard winch performed as usual.  It's been an uneventful trip, no rain, no waves, little humidity.  Have done a couple of easy tacks or jives all along the way in 6-12 knot winds.

Just now we jived and... found out the starboard electric winch makes about one turn and stops, even with no load.  It just stops as if one had taken one's hand off of the switch, no strain, no clicks.  Same behavior whether using the winch's adjacent switch or the pilot's panel switch.

The winch works manually when using a winch handle; all perfect.

Suggestions?  Comments?  In for a new Lewmar electric motor?

Cheerio,

Peregrinus

SM2K Nr. 350 (2002)

En route, Venice to Ortona (Italy)

greatketch@...

A new motor is most likely NOT in your immediate future...

First, check to be sure that the motor has power to its terminals when the switch is activated.  If NO then the problem is in the control circuit.

If YES, the motor has full voltage at its terminals and still does not turn, based on your symptoms, I's check the brushes first.  They could be stuck, or worn.

If that is not something you are comfortable doing, remove the motor and take it to any electric motor shop. Short of catastrophic damage from water or other cause, they will almost certainly set it right for way less than the cost of a new motor.

What ever you find wrong with this one, assume the port side winch needs the same treatment. Most likely they have very similar usage hours!

Bill Kinney
SM #160 Harmonie
Punta Montalva, Puerto Rico

---In amelyachtowners@..., <svperegrinus@...> wrote :

Hello,

We started a trip about 30 hours ago and the starboard winch performed as usual.  It's been an uneventful trip, no rain, no waves, little humidity.  Have done a couple of easy tacks or jives all along the way in 6-12 knot winds.

Just now we jived and... found out the starboard electric winch makes about one turn and stops, even with no load.  It just stops as if one had taken one's hand off of the switch, no strain, no clicks.  Same behavior whether using the winch's adjacent switch or the pilot's panel switch.

The winch works manually when using a winch handle; all perfect.

Suggestions?  Comments?  In for a new Lewmar electric motor?

Cheerio,

Peregrinus

SM2K Nr. 350 (2002)

En route, Venice to Ortona (Italy)

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Thank you Bill,

Will test voltage tomorrow morning after we arrive.  Am terrified of attempting to remove the electric motor, as I remember Eric of Kimberlite mentioning his was very, very stuck due to not doing a periodic maintenance Lewmar told him is mandatory, yet which does not show on our Lewmar manual that came with the boats.  Of course this maintenance has never been done on Peregrinus!

Will post here on any follow-ups.

Cheerio,

SM2K N. 350
Underway, Venice to Ortona

greatketch@...

I think Olivier's suggestion for distinguishing between a motor problem and a control box problem is probably easier than mine.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie

---In amelyachtowners@..., <svperegrinus@...> wrote :

Thank you Bill,

Will test voltage tomorrow morning after we arrive.  Am terrified of attempting to remove the electric motor, as I remember Eric of Kimberlite mentioning his was very, very stuck due to not doing a periodic maintenance Lewmar told him is mandatory, yet which does not show on our Lewmar manual that came with the boats.  Of course this maintenance has never been done on Peregrinus!

Will post here on any follow-ups.

Cheerio,

SM2K N. 350
Underway, Venice to Ortona

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Hello Olivier and Bill,

The problem "fixed itself" a couple of days later, about two weeks ago.

Again, the problem lasted for about 3 days, humidity was low, it had not rained for weeks, we had not taken any waves, we had not stressed the winches, seas were nearly flat, winds were very modest.

On the Amp use scale, no load on winches:

Starboard winch ("was problem"): starts at 43 amp, then 42, then 41.9, 41.8, 41.7...

Port winch ("perfect"): starts at 48 amp, drops quickly to 42, then 41.9, 41.8, 41.7...

Port "sounds" stronger.  Both now pull the genoa just as well under load.  We sail almost every day.

Thanks again,

Peregrinus
SM2K #350 (2002)
At anchor, near Budva, Montenegro

---In amelyachtowners@..., <greatketch@...> wrote :

I think Olivier's suggestion for distinguishing between a motor problem and a control box problem is probably easier than mine.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie

---In amelyachtowners@..., <svperegrinus@...> wrote :

Thank you Bill,

Will test voltage tomorrow morning after we arrive.  Am terrified of attempting to remove the electric motor, as I remember Eric of Kimberlite mentioning his was very, very stuck due to not doing a periodic maintenance Lewmar told him is mandatory, yet which does not show on our Lewmar manual that came with the boats.  Of course this maintenance has never been done on Peregrinus!

Will post here on any follow-ups.

Cheerio,

SM2K N. 350
Underway, Venice to Ortona

greatketch@...

I do hate it when problems "fix" themselves.

You can't reproduce it to troubleshoot, but you KNOW it's going to happen again.

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Ponce, PR

---In amelyachtowners@..., <svperegrinus@...> wrote :

Hello Olivier and Bill,

The problem "fixed itself" a couple of days later, about two weeks ago.

Again, the problem lasted for about 3 days, humidity was low, it had not rained for weeks, we had not taken any waves, we had not stressed the winches, seas were nearly flat, winds were very modest.

On the Amp use scale, no load on winches:

Starboard winch ("was problem"): starts at 43 amp, then 42, then 41.9, 41.8, 41.7...

Port winch ("perfect"): starts at 48 amp, drops quickly to 42, then 41.9, 41.8, 41.7...

Port "sounds" stronger.  Both now pull the genoa just as well under load.  We sail almost every day.

Thanks again,

Peregrinus
SM2K #350 (2002)
At anchor, near Budva, Montenegro

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

My experience with this sort of intermittent or under-powered performance of DC (direct current) motors is that is virtually always dirty brushes & dirty commutator.  Generally easily fixed at minimal expense.  While I haven't done this service on my Lewmar 58 Jib Sheet winches, I know where they are mounted and that access may be limited to do that service in situ.  I fear you will need to remove the motor but once the motor is on the workbench it is a simple fix.  I did have virtually identical symptoms recently on my main sail furling motor, it took about an hour to fix but access was relatively easy.
Dirty commutators/worn brushes never fix themselves for long.

Let us know how it works out.

Gary Silver  Amel SM 2K sv Liahona   Puerto Rico