Topics

Port and Door Holders...

greatketch@...

On older SM's the portlights and some of the cabin doors were held open with black rubber "mushrooms".  After 20 years ours are starting to degrade.  I have never seen them available from Goiot (the original manufacturer) and Maude says Amel has none left in stock.

Anybody else already solve this problem and care to share?  I have a couple ideas of varying degrees of elegance but haven't finalized my thoughts yet...

Bill Kinney

SM#160 Harmonie

Ponce, PR

Alan Leslie

Hello Bill,

I think all the SMs have them. Ours is 2004 and we have them.
If you find an elegant solution for replacement it would be handy to have on file for the future
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Ian Park

BI'll
I bought a couple two years ago from Amel Martinique. They were in a Goiot plastic box.
Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

Mark Pitt

Hi Bill,

i have the same issue with degraded black rubber mushrooms.  Did you find a solution?

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, SM 419
Rockland,  Maine

Mark McGovern

Mark,

We had several of these mushrooms completely missing when we bought our SM ~2 years ago and could not find replacements anywhere.  My extremely clever wife Denise came up with a "temporary" solution that is still working to this day.  She used Sugru Mouldable Glue to make her own mushrooms and they have been working great for 2 years now.

In the USA it's available online at Amazon, Target, Walmart, eBay, etc. However, its a UK based company so I am sure it available in the EU/UK as well.

Some pics of one of her handmade mushrooms as well as the Sugru box are attached below:

We have also have had surprisingly good success using this to fix some broken "fingers" on cabin top lockers. It really is great stuff to have around the boat!

Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

I bought 8 from Amel while they still had them. I suspect some are still aboard BeBe.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019, 7:59 PM Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,

i have the same issue with degraded black rubber mushrooms.  Did you find a solution?

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, SM 419
Rockland,  Maine

eric freedman

What are you referring to with respect to “ mushrooms”?

I bought 8 from Amel while they still had them. I suspect some are still aboard BeBe.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019, 7:59 PM Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

i have the same issue with degraded black rubber mushrooms.  Did you find a solution?

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, SM 419
Rockland,  Maine

JOHN HAYES

Snap

If anyone can find a source I’d like to buy a couple

Eric they are rubber mushrooms screwed into the inside back wall of a Santorin into which the toilet door clicks and can be held open.

John Hayes
Nga Waka

Sn41

Currently in Vava’u

On 3/08/2019, at 3:11 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

What are you referring to with respect to “ mushrooms”?

I bought 8 from Amel while they still had them. I suspect some are still aboard BeBe.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019, 7:59 PM Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

i have the same issue with degraded black rubber mushrooms.  Did you find a solution?

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, SM 419
Rockland,  Maine

eric freedman

Thanks John,

I wondered why I did not know of them they are not on the sm

I bought 8 from Amel while they still had them. I suspect some are still aboard BeBe.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019, 7:59 PM Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

i have the same issue with degraded black rubber mushrooms.  Did you find a solution?

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, SM 419
Rockland,  Maine

Ian Park

I got some in a chandlery in Martinique made by Goiot.
Ian
Ocean Hobo

karkauai

Eric, I have them on Kristy.  They hold open the portlites and double doors to the forward cabin

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Aug 3, 2019, at 2:39 AM, Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:

I got some in a chandlery in Martinique made by Goiot.
Ian
Ocean Hobo

Eric,

The rubber things that hold the ports open. They also hold the V berth doors open.

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019, 9:13 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

What are you referring to with respect to “ mushrooms”?

I bought 8 from Amel while they still had them. I suspect some are still aboard BeBe.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019, 7:59 PM Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

i have the same issue with degraded black rubber mushrooms.  Did you find a solution?

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, SM 419
Rockland,  Maine

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Ian, well done, I contacted Goiot directly a couple of years ago and was told they did not have any.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 03 August 2019 at 18:39 Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:

I got some in a chandlery in Martinique made by Goiot.
Ian
Ocean Hobo

I also contacted Goiot directly 8 years ago and was told that it was not a Goiot part.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550