Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Negative ground slave solenoid

eric freedman

Hi James,

I believe you are referring to the Valeo Solenoid with the rubber push button on top.

You can only get that one from Amel. However you can go to any starter motor / alternator shop and purchase an isolated ground solenoid. The only difference is you will not have the push button.

With respect to your electrical problem. The tachometer wire is a separate wire that runs from the sensor on the flywheel directly to the tachometer. The solenoid is not in any way connected to it. I believe you have a short in the black ground wire which I described in a post yesterday, shorting the tach wire as well. I believe you will have to open up the harness to find the problem. Fortunately the tach wire is easy to find. Start at the sensor at the flywheel and trace it to the connectors at the side of the engine near the foam of the fuel tank and see if it is shorted to some other wire.

I have some other ideas but this is the simplest one.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 4:02 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Negative ground slave solenoid

Super Maramu 2000 #418
Longbow

---In amelyachtowners@..., <kimberlite@...> wrote :

James,

What boat do you have?

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 12:52 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Negative ground slave solenoid

My slave solenoid has started clicking when the generator is running.  It also interferes with the Engine tach when the engine (4jh3-HTE) and genset are running together.  Has anyone had a similar problem?  I'd like to replace the solenoid anyway.  Is there an US replacement or is this part still available from Amel?

Thanks in advance.

James

Mark Pitt

Hi James,

I bought the Valeo solenoid on French amazon (amazon.fr) a couple of year ago and had it delivered to the US.  I do not recall the price but it was not too bad.

Mark Pitt,  Sabbatical III, ASM #419, Carloforte, Italy

On 4/1/2017 12:09 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Hi James,

I believe you are referring to the Valeo Solenoid with the rubber push button on top.

You can only get that one from Amel. However you can go to any starter motor / alternator shop and purchase an isolated ground solenoid. The only difference is you will not have the push button.

With respect to your electrical problem. The tachometer wire is a separate wire that runs from the sensor on the flywheel directly to the tachometer. The solenoid is not in any way connected to it. I believe you have a short in the black ground wire which I described in a post yesterday, shorting the tach wire as well. I believe you will have to open up the harness to find the problem. Fortunately the tach wire is easy to find. Start at the sensor at the flywheel and trace it to the connectors at the side of the engine near the foam of the fuel tank and see if it is shorted to some other wire.

I have some other ideas but this is the simplest one.

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 4:02 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Negative ground slave solenoid

Super Maramu 2000 #418
Longbow

---In amelyachtowners@..., <kimberlite@...> wrote :

James,

What boat do you have?

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 12:52 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Negative ground slave solenoid

My slave solenoid has started clicking when the generator is running.  It also interferes with the Engine tach when the engine (4jh3-HTE) and genset are running together.  Has anyone had a similar problem?  I'd like to replace the solenoid anyway.  Is there an US replacement or is this part still available from Amel?

Thanks in advance.

James