Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Negative ground slave solenoid

eric freedman

Hi James,

I believe you are referring to the Valeo Solenoid with the rubber push button on top.

You can only get that one from Amel. However you can go to any starter motor / alternator shop and purchase an isolated ground solenoid. The only difference is you will not have the push button.

With respect to your electrical problem. The tachometer wire is a separate wire that runs from the sensor on the flywheel directly to the tachometer. The solenoid is not in any way connected to it. I believe you have a short in the black ground wire which I described in a post yesterday, shorting the tach wire as well. I believe you will have to open up the harness to find the problem. Fortunately the tach wire is easy to find. Start at the sensor at the flywheel and trace it to the connectors at the side of the engine near the foam of the fuel tank and see if it is shorted to some other wire.

I have some other ideas but this is the simplest one.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376