Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] New Kind of Bow Thruster problem.

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good afternoon,

Friday, I hear similar (high pitch) sound to a lost propeller on the bow thruster (happened to me 1 year ago).
This morning I dive to inspect the bow thruster, I was expecting to see the propeller missing, but it was on…

It felt strange that I could manually rotate the propeller in the water, I do not remember I could that before… but I could be wrong…

So, I thought may be something was disconnected or broken inside the foot of the bow thruster.
Retrieving it from the water, when I turn the propeller it turns the shaft (connected to the electric motor).

So what could be the cause of the electric motor turning and not the propeller?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Island Water World Marina, Sint Maarten, NA

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Alex,

It could spin at high speed and torque, but not when you turn it by hand.

1. Spin because the pin is broken
2. Spin because gear inside foot has come loose
3. Spin because the splines where the motor shaft and the thruster shaft meet are stripped.
4. Spin because the gears inside the foot are stripped

I would think the most likely is #1 above...and the least likely is #4 above. Oh yes, and it is normal to be able to turn the motor shaft by turning the propeller...It should feel like gears turning

But, it could have been floating plastic causing the prop to temporarily cavitate and the plastic has floated away.

Bill Rouse
X-BeBe

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good afternoon,

Friday, I hear similar (high pitch) sound to a lost propeller on the bow thruster (happened to me 1 year ago).
This morning I dive to inspect the bow thruster, I was expecting to see the propeller missing, but it was on…

It felt strange that I could manually rotate the propeller in the water, I do not remember I could that before… but I could be wrong…

So, I thought may be something was disconnected or broken inside the foot of the bow thruster.
Retrieving it from the water, when I turn the propeller it turns the shaft (connected to the electric motor).

So what could be the cause of the electric motor turning and not the propeller?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Island Water World Marina, Sint Maarten, NA

luvkante

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Bill,
Thanks again for replying.
If you don’t mind, I would love if you could please look at the 11 pictures.
http://nikimat.com/bow_thruster_spin.html

8 months ago, I happened to order from Amel a spare tufnol shaft with the small and large wheels.
Here are some side by side pictures.
There is an obvious wear on the teeth of old one, it is not as smooth for the wheels to rotate against each other, but could this is enough to slip when the electric motor is turning???

The other option, as you mentioned, is the splines of the shaft and electric motor.
On FB, Conn Williamson said that they didn’t look stripped… quite frankly I don’t know anymore…

I would prefer some opinion before I start to rebuilt it…

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Kind of Bow Thruster problem.
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Monday, April 10, 2017, 11:16 AM

PM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com
wrote:

[...]

Hello Martin,
The “electric motor” of the bow thruster is working, but the propeller is not turning.
So obviously something in between.

The 54 is unfortunately or fortunately different than the Super Maramu.
If you click on the below link, you can see all the details (complete overhauling) of the bow thruster on the SM2K.
http://nikimat.com/bow_thruster_overhaul.html

Thanks for helping. Sincerely, Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, April 10, 2017, 12:12 PM

Alexandre,
Is
your bowthruster WORKING OR NOT?
On my AMEL 54 there is a rubber
clutch connected between prop and motor. When it breaks, you
can not transfer any torque. Don`t know about your
SM.
Best
regards,
Martin AMEL54 #149
CHIARA

--
Martin Komischke Am 10.
April 2017 um 18:16:23, 'Bill & Judy Rouse'

#4 above. Oh yes, and it is normal to be able to turn the

wrote:

[...]

I agree. I do not see any excessive wear that would cause any of the gears you photographed to slip.
What was the condition of the two pins that go through the two holes in the large steel gear to hold it in place. I do not see those.

Bill

To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Monday, April 10, 2017, 11:16 AM

wrote:

[...]

What about these pins circled in red on the attached photo?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School for New-to-Amel Owners
Galveston Island
Sent using Google Fi

To: "amelyachtowners@...om" <amelyachtowners@...om>
Date: Monday, April 10, 2017, 11:16 AM

wrote:

[...]

Good afternoon Bill,

I didn’t know about these 2 pins…
I took some additional pictures and post them on a different page:
http://nikimat.com/bow_thruster_spin_2.html

The key on the shaft that hold the small wheel is normal.

Thanks again!!! Sincerely, Alexandre

To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Monday, April 10, 2017, 3:31 PM

3:16 PM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com

------------------------------ --------------

On Mon, 4/10/17, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@svbebe.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Kind of Bow Thruster
problem.

To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com>

Date: Monday, April 10, 2017, 11:16 AM

wrote:

[...]

I have never changed the gears. However I know from photos and the drawing that the small gear is held in place by a key. I know from the drawing that there are pins shown that keep the large gear from spinning. One of your photos shows what appears to be a hole for a pin, but no pin.

If there isn't a key, or the pins, what do you think would keep the large gear from spinning. I think this is your problem.

Additionally, it makes sense that Amel would use pins because a key would never work on the composite shaft.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

[...]