Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Onan Generator strange issue

Mark Erdos

Duane,

I think I would get a second opinion from another mechanic. I have really thought about this and struggle to see how fresh water can mix with your oil when there is no connection to fresh water. This is about as absurd as finding engine oil in your drinking water.

While I can’t think of any cause for fresh water, if the muffler failed it would still be saltwater. So, the mechanic is talking out of both sides. And, if someone stuck a water hose in the exhaust hole to sabotage the boat then wouldn’t the engine also have water in it as it uses the same exhaust? Is it possible the mechanic lacked taste buds and couldn’t tell the difference from salt water and fresh water? If so, was the generator cranked without starting (the easiest way to fill the generator with saltwater)?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currenlty cruising – Turks and Caicos Islands

www.creampuff.us