Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Painting deck stripes - how much paint is needed??

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Between 1 & 2 liters for 2 coats, if applied by a striping tool. I really suggest cream color which will take 2 coats. Be sure to sand the old paint.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Apr 14, 2017 6:09 PM, "joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Soon I will my painting my deck stripes.  I'm using a mono-urethane paint.  Can anyone provide an estimate of quantity needed to complete the job?

Ben

Ben and Gayle

La Bella Vita

SM2K #347

Puerto Del Rey, PR

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Bill
We love the look of your decks with the cream colour stripes and will do the sams on Island Pearl II as soon as we get a chance, possibly in Thailand. What type of paint did you use and was there a specific colour / code?
Cin & Lauren Streeter
Island Pearl Ii. SM#332  Brisbane

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S6 on the Telstra Mobile Network

Between 1 & 2 liters for 2 coats, if applied by a striping tool. I really suggest cream color which will take 2 coats. Be sure to sand the old paint.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Apr 14, 2017 6:09 PM, "joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Soon I will my painting my deck stripes.  I'm using a mono-urethane paint.  Can anyone provide an estimate of quantity needed to complete the job?

Ben

Ben and Gayle

La Bella Vita

SM2K #347

Puerto Del Rey, PR

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

Thanks Bill.  I'm using cream color.
Ben

Ben and Gayle
La Bella Vita
SM #347
Currently Le Marin
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Friday, April 14, 2017, 7:31 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

[...]

Colin,

I had a single part marine quality paint mixed to match the AwlGrip cream color. Pick a brand available in Australia and have them match the color.

I did not use AwlGrip because they only make 2 part paint and I was concerned that the 2 part might set up while applying with the striping tool. I am not sure if this is correct.

If you color the faux caulking cream, it will take two coats. Be sure to buy at least 1 liter of lacquer thinner to clean tools and mistakes. There is a learning process with the tool and getting the correct amount of thinner. If it is too thick, it will not work well with a striping tool.

Judy and I believe that this is the very best appearance job that you can do on a Super Maramu. Second would be changing the color of the boot stripe and rub rail to desert sand.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Apr 14, 2017 6:09 PM, "joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Soon I will my painting my deck stripes.  I'm using a mono-urethane paint.  Can anyone provide an estimate of quantity needed to complete the job?

Ben

Ben and Gayle

La Bella Vita

SM2K #347

Puerto Del Rey, PR

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Thanks Bill

Pardon my dumb question now but what is a striping tool? Is it a roller the size of the stripes and then, to get the perfect quality as on your boat, did you need to tape up all the brown along the edges of each stripe?

I am planning to purchase all the required bits and pieces before we depart Brisbane within the next fortnight, so want to ensure I have all the required paint, tools and equipment on board.

Colin Streeter
Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332
Brisbane

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Colin,

There are others available...google "striping tool"

Hint,
  1. Sand the gaps and wipe with a dry lint free cloth
  2. Select a roller that is 1/2 to 2/3rds the size of the gap between the faux teak boards.
  3. Mix about 25cl of the paint using about 5% thinner...you may need more thinner later, but start with about 5%
  4. Use a tiny funnel to fill the paint reservoir on the tool.
  5. With the roller against the left side of the gap, roll forward about 1/2 meter, or what ever is comfortable to reach
  6. With the roller against the right side of the gap, roll back toward you
  7. Repeat until you have finished all gaps in that section...now, it will likely be time to fill the paint reservoir on the tool.
Also:
  1. You should start where you will least see your work because your quality will improve after about an hour.
  2. If you have direct sunlight, have someone else hold something to shade you and the immediate work area
  3. Have lacquer thinner to clean mistakes and to clean the tool...soaking it overnight, then rinsing with paint thinner and drying before use again.
Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Hi Bill

Once again thank you for your incredibly kind assistance. We will measure the stripe gaps today and order the same tool and equipment.

Best regards

Colin & Lauren Streeter
SV Island Pearl II, SM#332
Brisbane

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 1:23 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Hi Collin and Laureen
We are in the middle of re-painting the stripes and have noticed that the width of the stripes varies between 4,5 and 5,5 mm. So meassure on several places. In the cockpit there is most variations.

Regards
Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM2, 1998

Skickat från min iPad

16 apr. 2017 kl. 01:25 skrev Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

[...]

Hi Ann-Sofie

Thank you for this information, very helpful. We have ordered the same tool as Bill advised.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332
Brisbane

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 1:23 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Gary Silver

Edited

Hi Bill and all:

I am preparing to re-paint my deck stripes "AGAIN".  This will be my third time (have owned the boat since new in 2001).  I previously used Interlux Brightside paint and it just does not hold up to Caribbean sun.  About 4-5 years before it oxidizes and starts to look shabby.  I am considering using Awlgrip this go round but it will be much more work and I am investigating the "pot life" (i.e. useful working time) to see if it is practical to use in the pin-striping tool.

I would appreciate any feedback on the durability of the various types of paint and also others thoughts about the cosmetics of switching to the cream color for the stripes.  Changing things on Liahona is a heavy lift for me, yet that said, having just changed the boot-stripe to Desert Sand has been a great change that improved the appearance of the boat both to myself and many others who have commented on the appearance.  Wise advice to me a long time ago was, "never be the first to adopt a change and never be the last".

Opinions and experiences of all types are invited.

Gary S Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
lying Puerto Del Rey marina, Puerto Rico

Mark Erdos

Were the original stripes done with gelcoat or resin?

Cream Puff needs this too but it keeps getting pushed back down the project list because “having fun” trumps it every time. It has been on the list since we purchase here in 2011 J

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

[...]

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Gary,

I did my deck stripes in white: makes deck somewhat cooler underfoot, reduces heat down below too.

However, mine being an old girl, I’ll grind down the entire deck to make it level with the bottom of the stripes, then an epoxy coat in white with an anti slip on the top.  Just as Steve Davis did on Aloha.  It is gorgeous.

(Disclaimer:  I’ll pay a yard in Malaysia to do the work)

:-)

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM007

On 28 Feb 2019, at 05:12, Gary Silver via Groups.Io <garysilver@...> wrote:

Hi Bill and all:

I am preparing to re-paint my deck stripes "AGAIN".  This will be my third time (have owned the boat since new in 2001).  I previously used Brightside Perfection paint and it just does not hold up to Caribbean sun.  About 4-5 years before it oxidizes and starts to look shabby.  I am considering using Awlgrip this go round but it will be much more work and I am investigating the "pot life" (i.e. useful working time) to see if it is practical to use in the pin-striping tool.

I would appreciate any feedback on the durability of the various types of paint and also others thoughts about the cosmetics of switching to the cream color for the stripes.  Changing things on Liahona is a heavy lift for me, yet that said, having just changed the boot-stripe to Desert Sand has been a great change that improved the appearance of the boat both to myself and many others who have commented on the appearance.  Wise advice to me a long time ago was, "never be the first to adopt a change and never be the last".

Opinions and experiences of all types are invited.

Gary S Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
lying Puerto Del Rey marina, Puerto Rico

seagasm <seagasm@...>

I too have a couple of questions, who have used the slip resistant deck paint product and if you have, how have you found cleaning the deck from dust, salt or even spills from fish cleaning. There are a couple of products here in Australia, Norglass and AWLGrip worth consideration however, their options do offer non-slip or otherwise.

Best Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Barry and Robyn,

AFAIK, Steve (Aloha) is the only SM to have done this.  We know his boat and we can assure you it looks and feel great underfoot.

However, if you wait until Steve sees this post, I’m certain he’ll chime in with his 2 year long experience.

Cheers,

On 28 Feb 2019, at 10:27, seagasm <seagasm@...> wrote:

I too have a couple of questions, who have used the slip resistant deck paint product and if you have, how have you found cleaning the deck from dust, salt or even spills from fish cleaning. There are a couple of products here in Australia, Norglass and AWLGrip worth consideration however, their options do offer non-slip or otherwise.

Best Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171

amelforme

The original stripes are polyester resin/gel- coat. They were painstakingly applied by hand with paint brushes. Throughout the production of the Sharki, Maramu, Mango, Fango, Santorin and Super Maramu, these stipes were applied by a mainly female crew who were deemed to have more patience and manual dexterity than their male counterparts. These were considered the primary requirements for this job. Back then, political correctness wasn’t even a consideration, especially in France.

All The Best, Joel

          JOEL F. POTTER-CRUISING YACHT SPECIALIST~L.L.C.

                                           THE  EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY

UNSURPASSED AMEL MARKETING EXPERIENCE AND PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE

                                   Office 954-462-5869  Cell 954-812-2485

[...]

Joel,

Oh good to know!!! I adding this to Cindy’s list J

[...]

Craig Briggs

Mark,
Uh, have you thought about where you may be sleeping tonight?
Craig SN68 Sangaris

Ian Townsend

We applied Brightside Hatteras White in late 2017.

What we learned.
1. We love the color and the match is very good. It's one of those things that really revitalizes the look of the SM, helping to defy its age.
2. We could not get the pinstripe tool to perform as advertised, despite watching video, experimenting and using varying amounts of thickening agent. Over time, we developed our own method to avoid sloppy lines. You'll also need artist brushes as there several areas the tool cannot reach.
3. We used less than a quart of Brightside for one coat.
4. It took about 60 hours for the first coat. WeAs Joel says, it takes patience and my wife definitely had more than me.
5. Not a lot of difference underfoot in terms of 'cooler' decks.
6. It's been on for only 15 months and thus far we've only put on one coat (like Mark says, we opt for fun!). Can't predict how long it will last but it's wearing well so far. Eventually we will get around to that second coat!

Note that we spend most of our time in Florida and the Bahamas.

Good luck!

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
Exumas, Bahamas

On Feb 27, 2019, at 11:12 AM, Gary Silver via Groups.Io <garysilver@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Rouse:

 This is the Awlgrip "Cream" color.  Does this appear correct for what you painted your deck stripes?  The photo I have seen of your stripes appeared to be more white colored.

Thanks,

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Puerto Del Rey Puerto Rico
SM 2000 #335

Gary,

As you probably know, I used the same paint and tool that you used the first time around. The second time, I had 1-part marine paint mixed in Trinidad to match the AwlGrip Cream color, which is exactly the color you posted. We used 1 quart to apply 2 coats. We sanded much of the old off before applying the new color. The cream color did not cover as good as the chocolate brown, hence the 2nd coat.

I could not get a clear answer on the 2-part paint, so I elected to go with 1 part. These get a lot of UV in the tropics and probably 5-6 years will be the lifetime. BTW, when we sold BeBe we gave Dan two fingernail polish bottles filled with the paint for future touch-up. The 2-part would not have worked for that.

Lastly, when we were in Trinidad, we trained a local boat wash/wax guy to do this job. He got very good at it. I can give you his name if you want it. It took him 5 days for the complete job.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550