Topics

Companionway door

Patrick McAneny

I would like to apply a teak veneer on my door , 1/8 " is as thin as I have found . I would need to take off the outer layer of the door which appears to be about 1/8 " to make room for the new veneer. In a couple of places it is separating . Has anyone taken the outer layer off ? I have also thought about applying a formica product on it , may be room for that. I would paint it again , but the wood has cracks in it and would not look good.
Thanks,
Pat SM#123

Dan

I sanded down the door. Cut veneer to proper size. Glued and varnished

greatketch@...

Woodcraft can supply teak veneer in 4 foot by 8 foot sheets that is bonded to a paper backing making it much easier to handle than raw veneer and it is only 1/42" thick (0.6mm) , so be careful with your finish sanding! About US$170.

Widely available from woodworking supply houses.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Culebra, PR

greatketch@...

Danny,

Without removing the entire companionway slide, how did you get the veneer under the side rails?  Or did you just leave that "as-was"?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Culebra, PR