Topics

Increasing fuel capacity - Maramu #178

Dennis Campbell

Hello All,

I appreciate and welcome everyones feedback on my issue with faux deck cracking and restoration/refurbishment.

My next query relates to increasing the internal fuel storage capacity - reason being that our future sailing plans will take us east from Malaysia through and into areas where extended motor/sailing may be required.

I understand the Perkins 60hp on Pegasus uses around 3 l/hr @ 5kts in calm seas ... 450 litres provides a theoretical range of 750nm (or 6 days), much less range if seas are boisterous or we are running away from a late season cyclone.

If we install a desalinator is it feasible to sacrifice around 400 litres of the water storage and reallocate it to diesel. I understand there is a tradeoff by running a generator to make water. Potential contamination has crossed my mind but as it stands if the current fuel tank fails, there'll be 450 litres of diesel sitting on top of the water storage tanks.Has anyone done this without resorting to jerry cans or containers?

As an afterthought, and probably a dumb question ... why aren't the fuel tanks on the Maramu positioned in the keel/bilge area?

Best regards

Dennis (Pegasus - Maramu #178)

Dan

Maybe because the tank are located in a place easier to remove and easier to inspect. Maybe gravity fed. Also a think the fresh water tanks are insulated from the boat so if you were to loose your keel and fracture the tanks you loose your water but not the diesel. Please correct me if wrong The mango in 82 was sold with one tank. With option to a second tank. With both tanks the range is 1000 miles. 220 gal. Find out if the maramu had same option and were it would go. On the mango it's port of engine. Just thoughts by