Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Increasing fuel capacity - Maramu #178

James Alton

Dennis,

   If the fuel tank or fuel lines on my Maramu ever fails, it appears the the fuel will end up in the sump, not on top of the freshwater tanks.   I also really like the gravity feed aspect.  I have been able to change the fuel filters on my Perkins,  bleed the air and run the engine without ever touching the lift pump.  Amel has thought every system through quite well and the longer I own my boat the less inclined I am to change anything.  My boat has the original fuel tank on the str. side in the pass thru and it seems fine.

   With regards to adding an additional fuel tank, from a design consideration, it is always nice to keep the tankage as symmetrical as possible so that refuelling or fuel consumption does not cause a trim change in the boat.  This is one of the reasons why the water tank location in the bilge at the center of the boat is so wonderful.   I think that a lot of people carry diesel in fuel jugs in the Port locker to help balance things out and extend the range.  There is a good argument to be made to have plenty of fuel jugs on board to ferry it when needed but I do worry about the leakage possibility of carrying a lot of fuel below decks in jugs.

James Alton

SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Apr 21, 2017, at 9:48 AM, dennis@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I appreciate and welcome everyones feedback on my issue with faux deck cracking and restoration/refurbishment.

My next query relates to increasing the internal fuel storage capacity - reason being that our future sailing plans will take us east from Malaysia through and into areas where extended motor/sailing may be required.

I understand the Perkins 60hp on Pegasus uses around 3 l/hr @ 5kts in calm seas ... 450 litres provides a theoretical range of 750nm (or 6 days), much less range if seas are boisterous or we are running away from a late season cyclone.

If we install a desalinator is it feasible to sacrifice around 400 litres of the water storage and reallocate it to diesel. I understand there is a tradeoff by running a generator to make water. Potential contamin ation has crossed my mind but as it stands if the current fuel tank fails, there'll be 450 litres of diesel sitting on top of the water storage tanks.Has anyone done this without resorting to jerry cans or containers?

As an afterthought, and probably a dumb question ... why aren't the fuel tanks on the Maramu positioned in the keel/bilge area?

Best regards

Dennis (Pegasus - Maramu #178)

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Dennis,

One other consideration, and for what it is worth...although we carried extra fuel on our circumnavigation in a Super Maramu, the most we ever used on a passage was 405 liters and that was on a 1,000 mile passage from the Panama Canal to Galapagos. Our longest passage was 3 times that, with only about 250 liters used.

One person's experience is not statistically significant, but our fuel consumption experience was generally higher than the other cruisers we know.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus