[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Adding Bilge area pumping Capacity

Eric Freedman

Ian Park

Eric
Wow! Adds proof to the Amel recipe. It also demonstrates how well engineered the Amel rigging is. How many other boats surfing at that speed with that sail area would have kept their masts in place on impact?
Other than a submarine I can't imagine anything bigger to hit!
Thanks for posting - it's these real time episodes that help us all make good decisions.

Best wishes

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

Alan Leslie

Embarrassing to say, we hit a couple of coral bomies on the way out of the atoll of Fulaga in SE Fiji, we bounced off the reef twice before we got into the channel on the way out...bang !, bang ! it was heart wrenching...we sailed another 2000 miles through the Fijian archipelago on to New Caledonia and then to New Zealand before we hauled out
AND...other than paint scrapes on the keel....no damage at all
I've been all over the boat and cannot find anything cracked or moved ...she is perfect
What a boat !!!

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

jjjk12s@...

A mobile unattached Rule type submersible pump with a long lead with crocodile clips and a fairly long semi rigid outlet hose makes a good back up.

John Maramu, #91 Popeye

VLADIMIR SONSEV

How do you suggest to run the outlet hose? Is it OK to tee off from the manual pamp?

Vladimir Sonsev
Tel/Text: 202 258 1916

On Apr 26, 2017 4:09 PM, "jjjk12s@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

A mobile unattached Rule type submersible pump with a long lead with crocodile clips and a fairly long semi rigid outlet hose makes a good back up.

John Maramu, #91 Popeye

Eric Freedman

I believe ABYC says you must have separate hoses and through hulls for each pump. IN addition what would prevent having the water coming from one hose going back into the boat? You would also not want to put a check valve in a bilge pump hose.

I have an EDSON manual crash pump I believe it is rated at 1 gallon a stroke. It is mounted on a board with a long intake and exhaust hose. In an emergency I would just dump the water in the cockpit. The scuppers are more than sufficient to remove any water in the cockpit.

I don’t know if you ever had a cockpit full of water but it drains in less than 30 seconds.

Remember the old adage noting bails water faster than a frightened man with a bucket.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

How do you suggest to run the outlet hose? Is it OK to tee off from the manual pamp?

Vladimir Sonsev
Tel/Text: 202 258 1916

On Apr 26, 2017 4:09 PM, "jjjk12s@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

A mobile unattached Rule type submersible pump with a long lead with crocodile clips and a fairly long semi rigid outlet hose makes a good back up.

John Maramu, #91 Popeye

VLADIMIR SONSEV

Eric,

Thanks for you reply. I understand and agree.

Now there is a question about a check valve in the bilge pump hose. On my SM #345 there is a check valve on the bilge pump hose.  Bilge pump does not work if check valve failed open.
On my previous boat I have had a check valve on the bilge pump hose.
I don't see a problem with that. Please explain why you see a problem with a check valve.

Vladimir
SM #345
LIFE IS GOOD

On Apr 28, 2017 1:40 AM, "'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

> I believe ABYC says you must have separate hoses and through hulls for each pump. IN addition what would prevent having the water coming from one hose going back into the boat? You would also not want to put a check valve in a bilge pump hose.
>

> I have an EDSON manual crash pump I believe it is rated at 1 gallon a stroke. It is mounted on a board with a long intake and exhaust hose. In an emergency I would just dump the water in the cockpit. The scuppers are more than sufficient to remove any water in the cockpit.
>

> I don’t know if you ever had a cockpit full of water but it drains in less than 30 seconds.
>

> Remember the old adage noting bails water faster than a frightened man with a bucket.
>
> Fair Winds
>
> Eric
>
> Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Eric Freedman

A check valve in a bilge pump hose is just one more thing to get clogged in an emergency.