[Amel Yacht Owners] Plugged cable ducts in main mast - Maramu

James Alton

Is it possible to apply either air or water pressure to the PVC in the opposite direction that caused the jam?  Perhaps with the pressure applied to you can tug on the leader lines and cables one at a time to see if you can find a combination that works.

   One simple thing that has often helped me with this type of rewiring is to coat the pull lines, wires and tube with talcum powder.  It can greatly reduce the friction and thereby the risk of a jam or damage to a wire.  I don’t think that the talc causes any problems other than being a little messy.

Best of luck,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Apr 27, 2017, at 11:54 AM, calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

what happens when foam plugs & cables & leader lines meet & pool together to block a cable guide duct in the main mast is a thick, tight plug which does not budge neither under pressure or pull.

Happens on my main mast (similar o, mizzen but easier to solve); we have been strugling for the last 3 days & managed a picture & video of the culprit after buying (35 Euros) the much needed chinese made endoscope - (will post pictures next).

Decided on drilling out the plug, attacking the foam plug, to disorganise the loops & blocks stuck into the PVC split duct. Made & 6 meters drill with wooden drill welded one end & a steel eye the other end. Will ease drilling with pressurized water to soften material & circulate dirt .

wish me luck, might find petrol or gas if insisting.

Anyone met a similar condition when replacing cables ?

Any other solution to displace a plug Inside a duct without getting stuck on rivets heads or joint in pipes ?

I am all ears.

Note : Mast is Hz on ground (changing rigging)

fair winds

christian Alby on Désirade VIII - Maramu 168 - Now in Port Leucate Med sea

christian alby <calbyy@...>

point taken
talcum powder added to ship supplies
will powder the 'babies bums' to ease passage

otherwise tried pressure with no avail; just adds up to pressure both ways & pressurises nylon & foam to build up strength (volume compressed = added density)

thanks for tip anyway

christian alby - Maramu 168 Désirade VIII now in Western Med Port Leucate

Christian Alby - France home fixe +33 (0)5 34 39 06 02 home Internet +33 (0)9 60 37 22 72 mobile +33 (0)6 42 69 07 80

De : "James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners]"
À : amelyachtowners@...
Envoyé le : Jeudi 27 avril 2017 19h39
Objet : Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Plugged cable ducts in main mast - Maramu

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi all,
when we bought Ocean Pearl there was a litre bottle of a product called "cable lube" on board. It is a very slimy slippery product and applying it to cables that need to be drawn though tight spaces or long distances makes a big difference. It is remarkable how easy it makes pulling a cable and doesn't leave a messy residue. As to removing a tangle, I would try to stop pulling before my tangle became a knot, once it becomes a knot its not easy. (pun intended). Reverse the pull and try for a jiggle and shake and back and forth pull before there is a total lock up.
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 28 April 2017 at 05:39 "James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

too late as I went already for the pulling & shoving & applying too much pressure on this tight knot of cables, foam plugs & leader lines. They were already in a bundle about halway down the mast when I tried my luck; all coaxial cables went thru easy, the electrical power cord (od 10 mm for 3 x 1.5mm wire) used to feed the mooring light was just a mite too fat to go thru.
will get some of the gooied stuff for my new wires though, seems to be worth  the purchase.
I wil test my 6 M drill tomorrow & will leave it here in Port Leucate for all rady sailors who do not believe in patient & mild handling of knots which resist untangling,
fair winds

christian alby - Maramu 168 Désirade VIII - still in Port Leucate Western Med

Christian Alby - France home fixe +33 (0)5 34 39 06 02 home Internet +33 (0)9 60 37 22 72 mobile +33 (0)6 42 69 07 80

tangle;

De : "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners]"
À : amelyachtowners@...
Envoyé le : Jeudi 27 avril 2017 21h11

On 28 April 2017 at 05:39 "James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

[...]

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Christian,

I am not sure I know what you refer to when you say, "foam plugs."

But, let me tell you what I do know about and maybe this will help you:
The extra "leader lines will have a small piece of foam tied to them every 2 meters or so. This is to keep them from wrapping around other leaders and cables. These pieces of foam sometime make pulling the leader a little difficult, but not impossible.

Also, remember your Amel is new to you, but may not be in original condition. I have seen new owners of pre-owned Amels complain about something Amel did, when, in fact, it was someone else.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and one day soon you may be enjoying your Amel.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School
X-BeBe #387
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:54 AM, calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

VLADIMIR SONSEV

When I could not get a "cable lube" I used K-Y Jelly.  You can get it or similar product in any drugstore.
It works good but more expensive than "cable lube".

Vladimir Sonsev
SM #345
"Life is Good"

On Apr 27, 2017, at 11:54 AM, calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

good afternoon Bill

I called foam plugs the foam rings used by Amel to keep leader lines from wrapping around each other: immediate result instead of intent.
what caused the 'plug' was the fact that previous owners wishing to save on cost, linked two short lengths of two different electrical power cables using scewed electrical connectors about halfway thru the cable duct; leaving leaders & foam rings inisde tube. I posted pictures of the result when 'drilled out' using my 6 Meters lgth manual drill & pressurised water to help the plug glide down.
2 Weeks preparation of Tools, 1-1/2 hr set up site followed by 45 mn screwing on & pulling did the trick.
Way is clear now to reinstate to original condition following Henri's ways.

I would never dream of moaning about such a wonderful boat, where all is linked to act & serve most efficently as a whole.

note : original (1982) leader lines did not break when pulled and held on tight until drilled out, when new nylon lines broke Under strain at 1-1/2 the SWL !

fair weather to you

Christian Alby - France home fixe +33 (0)5 34 39 06 02 home Internet +33 (0)9 60 37 22 72 mobile +33 (0)6 42 69 07 80

De : "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
À : "amelyachtowners@..."
Envoyé le : Jeudi 27 avril 2017 23h12

[...]

I am happy for you that you have solved the issue. I have known Amels with mast wiring lasting 35 years. I have a friend with an Oyster that replaced all of his mast wiring at 5 years.

I am always amazed at what some yacht owners will do to save a few pennies.

My experience is that most Amel Owners maintain their Amel in factory condition and respect the fact that, more than any other builder, Amel has a history of designing reliability and quality into an Amel and all of its systems. Simply stated, you have to own an Amel for years to completely understand this.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus