[Amel Yacht Owners] Intermittent Bow Thruster to Port

Stephen Davis

Thanks Bill...Hello to all our friends in Martinique as well.

Steve
Aloha SM72

On May 5, 2017, at 15:00, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Steve,

I can tell you that I have heard of an intermittent thruster problem on a 54 more than once, but not a SN or SM.

The relay solenoids are too good to be the most likely. Unless it is a loose connection somewhere, I agree with everyone else on the joy stick. Next would be the huge relay solenoids, then last the motor.

Good luck. Martinique says hello to ALOHA.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On May 5, 2017 08:48, "Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Alex,

I agree. That seems to be the most likely cause, but was curious if anyone else has experience this, and what the fix was. Wish I had been smart enough to buy a new joystick switch as a spare like you did.

Steve
Aloha SM72

On May 5, 2017, at 08:30, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Good morning Steve,

Feels to me it is the joystick.
May be the rubber protection was cracked then some water sip in.
May be removing it then cleaning and adding corrosion X will help…

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Island Water World Marina, Sint Maarten, NA

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Intermittent Bow Thruster to Port
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, May 5, 2017, 7:21 AM

When we left our slip in Sint Maarten a few days
ago, when I used the bow thruster to port, it intermittently
would not respond. If I continued to toggle the joystick
back to center and the to port, it would usually start ion
my 4th of 5th attempt. Once the thruster started, it would
work normally until I re-centered the joystick. On the next
attempt to port, it would sometimes work on the first try,
or it could take several attempts again. Bow thrusting to
starboard works normally every time.

I suspect the problem is just in the switch below the
toggle, as it appears to be original to my 1992 SM. Has
anyone else had these same symptoms, and if so, how did you
repair it? Also, is there something else I should be
looking for that might be causing the problem?

All thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Steve and Liz Davis

Aloha SM72

Bonaire

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, May 5, 2017, 7:21 AM

[...]

Great advice...thanks.

Steve
Aloha SM72

On May 5, 2017, at 09:58, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,

The joystick is easily taken apart and you can clean up the contact points, which are surely the cause of your problem. I've done mine a couple of times over the years - just be gentle with prying it open so you don't break the plastic housing. There are a few springs and stuff that may pop out, so go slowly. When you can't figure out how it goes back together, remove your anchor joystick and study that - they are the same.
Good luck with it,
Craig SN68 Sangaris

To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Friday, May 5, 2017, 7:21 AM

[...]