Santorin - propeller generator - Hutchinson belt to be changed

Attilio Siviero <attilio.siviero@...>

Dear Craig,

Before to leave Didim last week, I noticed that the belt coupling the propeller shaft to the secondary generator, useful to have some power when sailing at 4kts or more and with the gear in neutral, was heavily damaged and close to failure. Since there was a spare one already positioned close to the propeller block, I changed the belt and now the system works properly.

Obviously now I do not have a spare belt, therefore the question is: to install a new belt, to keep as spare close to the propeller block, should I disconnect the junction, rise the entire engine, and place the new belt? Or, the belt can be assembled locally?

Thanks for a light

Attilio&Maria
Amel Santorin #84 "Sisila" now in Lavrion, Olympic Marina

Inviato da iPad

Ian Park

Attilio
We had a belt replaced in Martinique during some Hurth gearbox work. Yes, you need to separate the Vetus shaft coupling. You do not need to lift the engine. The AMEL mechanic just moved the engine back a little by slackening the engine bolts. It didn't alter the engine alignment.
If your replacement belt is good then you could easily leave putting a spare on until you need to change the Vetus coupling joints. They should last a few years.

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

Craig Briggs

Ciao amico,
Sorry, but yes, you will have to uncouple the engine and slide it back a little. No problem though, as I'm sure Maria can do it in about 15 minutes.
Looks like you are headed west. Will you be dropping down around the Pelopenese or doing the Canal?
Cheers,
Craig & Katherine

---In amelyachtowners@..., <attilio.siviero@...> wrote :

[...]

Actually, you do have to remove the engine bolts and move the engine back two - three inches so you can open the coupling. Just loosening the bolts does not allow the engine to slide at all. Then, sliding the engine back is much easier to do if your un-weight the engine using a line between the two cockpit winches through the engine lift tabs. You don't actually lift the engine, just un-weight it so you can easily slide it back to open the coupling then slide it back in place.
Cheers, Craig SN68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <parkianj@...> wrote :

Attilio
We had a belt replaced in Martinique during some Hurth gearbox work. Yes, you need to separate the Vetus shaft coupling. You do not need to lift the engine. The AMEL mechanic just moved the engine back a little by slackening the engine bolts. It didn't alter the engine alignment.
If your replacement belt is good then you could easily leave putting a spare on until you need to change the Vetus coupling joints. They should last a few years.

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

Ian Park

Thanks Craig. Haven't done the job myself. Just watched. Good tip about taking the weight off.
Ian