Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Haulout - Storage Checklists

hanspeter baettig

Hi Dan Carlson
I and other Amel owners do not understand your question. You are the new owner of BeBe ,earlier boat from Bill the Admiral?
My two cent words. Ask him. He knows ewerything about your boat and he knows Trinidad as well as I remember.
Kr
Hanspeter
Tamango 2, SM 16
PS:
During summer time it will be humide and wet. When i was there for 3 month during huricane saison, I put on the outside of the hutch in the saloon a aircoold ac, which was checked 3 times per week by a local person. Also my boat was coverd with a with plasitic cover, seald by heat, and the boat was by Peak in a special saved yard. Saved by Rottwiler dog's in the night.
Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 11.05.2017 um 17:47 schrieb 'dancarlson367@...' dancarlson367@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Hi all,   We will be hauling our SM out at the end of the month for 5 months of storage in Trinidad.

We would love to see checklists and hear tips from others who have a good annual routine.

Some key questions for me are:
- temp and humidity control
- UV protection
- pest control
- dinghy storage
- storage of sails and other canvas items

Thanks for any experiences you can share.

Best regards, Dan Carlson
sv BeBe, SM 387

Dan Carlson

The question is simple Hanspeter,  Bill and Judy lived aboard BeBe full time for 12 years. The two seasons that they were in Trinidad they were in the water and were on the boat the majority of the time.  I am looking for perspectives and checklists from Amel owners that regularly haul their boats for hurricane season. That is not an experience that Bill and Judy regularly lived.

Thank you for tip on your use of an air conditioner.  I do have a dehumidifier and do plan to use that. And I also plan to use Peakes secure storage area.

Any perspectices from other owners would also be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Dan Carlson

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 5:21 PM, 'Hanspeter.baettig' hanspeter.baettig@... [amelyachtowners]
wrote:

[...]

karkauai

Hi Dan.  I left my boat there one Summer and used a hatch AC from Dynamite who also came aboard once or twice a week to make sure the AC was running and flush the watermaker membranes.  I didn't have the boat covered and left the sails furled in the masts, but took the Genoa down and stowed it in the saloon.  Kristy was filthy with dust, but others whose boats were enclosed in plastic had mildew and bird crap all over their boats. If I were to do it again, I would not enclose in plastic. The main and mizzen sheets and outhauls were filthy and took two whole days to clean, I would recommend removing them and stowing below.  Also, stuff rags in every hole you can find to keep birds and wasps from building nests.

Hope that helps some.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Ian Park

Dan
We were hauled out at Peakes two years ago fir the hurricane season. There was advice aplenty about plastic wrapping, aircon, and applying wax to the hull and leaving it unpolished. There were advocates for and against each of these. When I asked for advice from Peakes engineering they gave no definitive answer. They cited boats that did all these precautions and had mildew and also a boat just looked and left for 3 years, that was pristine when opened up again.
Our decision. A/C was expensive to install and to pay the extra charge they make for the electricity . Our hull was 20 years old and beautiful- despite a life in the Med and various visits to the Caribbean. The boat is very well insulated, and we couldn't understand the plastic covering which would make it like a greenhouse . We decided to do non of these. We employed a local lad (recommended by Peakes - they are badged in order to work their) to go on board once a month and open all hatches for an hour, to wash the boat down, to change the dehumidifying crystals in the two containers inside the boat, and to send us an email report. The boat was perfect when we got back and we paid the same lad to polish the boat before launching.
If you use your dehumidifier I think you will be just fine, just check the charge for power. I would recommend the use of one of the yard lads to open up once a week and check things over - it is great peace of mind. I would be concerned about a dehumidifier on for 5 months with the boat shut up - I don't know how that would affect the woodwork. Others may be able to quote experience here.
I'm sure others will have different views, that was just my experience at Peakes.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Ian Park

Dan
I would second everything that Kent said. I forgot to mention plugging every hole with plastic or cloth, including the holes in the hull. Peakes will also tell you to buy a tub of cheap grease and liberally smear a ring round every part of the cradle and chain leading to the boat - to stop ants and other nasties crawling up and finding a new home!
We had a new Genoa made at Ullmans and he checked the other sails too. If you were having yours cleaned or any stitching re-done you can take your sails off while you're afloat in the marina and leave them there for the off season. It's only a 300m motor across to Peakes.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Ric Gottschalk <ric@...>

Dont plug the cockpit drains or bilge drain. Actually had friend sink his engine on the hard. i preferred the cover that goes down to the top rail. Think umbrella.
Balihai
Sn24

Ric Gottschalk
Kitchen Magic Refacers, Inc
Office 410-923-5800
Fax 410-923-5802

On May 12, 2017, at 3:43 AM, parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dan
I would second everything that Kent said. I forgot to mention plugging every hole with plastic or cloth, including the holes in the hull. Peakes will also tell you to buy a tub of cheap grease and liberally smear a ring round every part of the cradle and chain leading to the boat - to stop ants and other nasties crawling up and finding a new home!
We had a new Genoa made at Ullmans and he checked the other sails too. If you were having yours cleaned or any stitching re-done you can take your sails off while you're afloat in the marina and leave them there for the off season. It's only a 300m motor across to Peakes.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Herbert Lackner

Hi Dan,

we habe been on the hard in Trinidad at Peakes last summer.  What I think is worth to mention:

  • Trindidad ist hot and humid in summer, but not as humid as I feared.  We had no AC or dehumidifier, closed the boat complete, covered some ventilation holes and did not ask anyone to vent it. We did not had any mold (a lot of other boats had!).
  • We did not leave any food on the boat
  • We put all our cloths in large black plastic bags, but them in the hot sund until they were really hot, sucked the air out and closed them.  All the clothes stayed „fresh“.
  • We gave the sails to the Ullman Sails sail maker for check and storage. Was good.
  • We put enough grease onto the posts to make sure that no ants go on the boat, also on the tie downs. We had no ants, many other boats had.
  • We covered the cockpit with a silver cover (from the peakes shop, the silver is much better than the blue one) for UV protection
  • Put everything away from the boat that shall not get dirty
  • We have a stainless chain that we cleaned with phosporic acid and stored it in trhe chain locker. If it would be a galvanized chain I would leave it outside
  • We put some roach-traps in the boat but had no roaches in, some boats had
  • Filled the diesel  tank full with diesel and put additive in it
  • And did all the standard stuff for winterizing (engine etc.)
  • And: Ask Sue what she recommends to avoid „insects“ enter the boat at the save storage

All the best, herbert

KALI MERA

SN120

Isla Providencia

hanspeter baettig

My last one
way you put your boat to Trinidad if you hear all the problems. Why not take it a littel bit easy. It's no problem you hear around, Trinidad Peak, Power Boat are good places for the huricane saison. Do not believe all the negative stuff you hear. Make your on experience

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 13.05.2017 um 00:25 schrieb herbert@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

[...]

Craig Briggs

Marina Seco in Mexico suggests plugging all holes in the hull with stainless steel wool. It let's any water drip out and keeps the bugs out.
Craig, SN68 Sangaris

Dan Carlson

Thanks for all of the helpful tips and experiences.

I will let you all know how it goes in about 5 months when we re-comission.

If anyone has additional checklists you can also email me at carlsdan61 at gmail dot com.

Thanks all, Dan Carlson