Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Bottom Paint Question [2 Attachments]

John Clark

Hi Chuck,
   The choice of paint I think will depend on where you plan to sail her.  I keep a daysailor in Charleston and use an ablative I think SeaHawk,  one of the 75 80 percent copper.

On the SM here in Caribbean there is a hard epoxy on her, a Micron product the previous owner had applued in Grenada.

      Regards John

Vent de Soleil SM 37
Great Bay, Sint Maarten

On May 12, 2017 11:07 AM, "clacey9@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from clacey9@... [amelyachtowners] included below]

Hi All,

Perspective buyer here. Looked at a boat on the hard and fresh water is her home (6 months in 6 months out). Will move to salt water in the near future. I know I need to paint but I also know there is saltwater/freshwater specific paints. Tried to query the conversations tab here for an answer (a little quirky to get around). Has anyone been in this situation? I would like to avoid two bottom jobs in two years if possible. Take a look at the pics. I value your opinions.

Thx
Chuck

On May 12, 2017 11:07 AM, "clacey9@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from clacey9@... [amelyachtowners] included below]

Hi All,

Perspective buyer here. Looked at a boat on the hard and fresh water is her home (6 months in 6 months out). Will move to salt water in the near future. I know I need to paint but I also know there is saltwater/freshwater specific paints. Tried to query the conversations tab here for an answer (a little quirky to get around). Has anyone been in this situation? I would like to avoid two bottom jobs in two years if possible. Take a look at the pics. I value your opinions.

Thx
Chuck

rossirossix4

Hi Chuck,
International Trilux 33,   It works very well in both fresh-water and salt-water. Although it works well in fresh water it works very well in salt-water--many aluminum boats operating in salt-water only use it.  It has Biolux anti-slime additives.  It remains active even with long periods of haul-out  http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCentre/trilux-33-info-usa-eng.pdf
Bob, KAIMI SM 429

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Thanks all for the replies and advice. The boat is going to be put back in the water without it being re-painted for at least a month. How bad will this be considering the rust on the keel and peeling layers. After survey and hopefully purchase I as new owner will put back in the yard and arrange a bottom job. What's the overall risk?

Thx
Chuck