[Amel Yacht Owners] Mango Zincs [3 Attachments]

J Wagamon <jwagam@...>

Thank you all for your replies! I do have a mystery on my hands as there is no hole for the zincs. I am going to have to make a new one then test for continuity.

On May 15, 2017, at 2:53 AM, christian alby calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Jay
I guess this looks like the rudder holder plate bolts passage on the Maramu
check picture attached - taken when rebuiding the rudder last year.
on the Maramu the anodes are on the rudder, continuity copper wires are running down the outer part of the skeg linked to the rudder bolts by tin weld; goes thru holder plate into the rudder blade to the anodes bolts.
even though different breed, hope this helps.
fair wids
christian alby - Désirade VIII Maramu #116 now in Port Leucate

Christian Alby - France home fixe +33 (0)5 34 39 06 02 home Internet +33 (0)9 60 37 22 72 mobile +33 (0)6 42 69 07 80

De : "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
À : "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Envoyé le : Dimanche 14 mai 2017 19h56
Objet : Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Mango Zincs

Jay,

I believe that there have been many modifications to that Mango. I seem to remember a late model Mango that had the zincs on the rudder like Santorins, SMs, 54s, 55s, and 64s. I am not sure of the position of early model Mangos. Hopefully a Mango owner can give you a clear answer for hull #60.

The most important issue regarding the zincs and the bonding system is: does the zinc electrically connect with no resistance to the bonded items? Have you checked continuity between the zinc and the engine propellor shaft? What about inside the area of the rudder post/quadrant? Is there evidence of the bonding wire connecting to the rudder post or quadrant? This connection the the rudder post/quadrant is what you should see on the above mentioned models. Unrelated to your direct question, but significant because of the potential modifications on hull #60, is this: Is there a weep hole in the bottom (underneath) of the rudder?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 11:09 AM, J Wagam jwagam@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com> wrote:

Hi Amel Owners,

I am trying to track down the location for zincs on my mango. Next to the grounding plate is a threaded hole that had a bolt in it. It goes all the way through. I assumed this was the zinc location but it is very close to the plate. Does anybody have an idea of what this hole is for? If not for zincs, where is the zinc location?

Thank You!
Jay Wagamon
Mango #60 Hobo Tiempo

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Jay,

I previously asked you if there was a weep hole at the bottom of the rudder because I suspected more than one modification in that area. It appears to me that I can see where the holes were for the zincs on the rudder.

If the previous owner removed and filled in the zinc mounts, the following questions should be resolved:
  1. Did you check to see if the weep hole still exists?
  2. Did you find where the bundle of yellow/green bonding wires join in the engine room near the top of the gray water sump?
  3. Have you done a continuity check from each of the components to the bundle?
  4. Have you located the bonding wire near the top of the rudder post?
Although it will certainly be best to bring that Mango back to original condition, but because of all of the other issues with that boat, it is probably impossible to do. It is possible that you will want to consider locating zincs in a different location than the rudder, but I believe that the quadrant and rudder post should be connected to the bonding system.

Regarding the hole next to the SSB grounding plate, I believe that this is part of the rudder hinge bracket, and that there was something through that hole securing the rudder hinge. Several questions come to mind about this missing attachment item, but the most serious is how well is that rudder attached and has water penetrated the skeg? Have you tested for moisture on the skeg?

I wish you the very best in the restoration of this once proud Mango and hope that you can get all of your issues behind you.