[Amel Yacht Owners] Procedure to unfurl and fuel the mizzen on a SM

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Willem,

Is it possible that your sails have vertical battens? Some SM owners added vertical battens.

If you do not have vertical battens, I suggest that 1 crew member goes aloft to the point of the jam and observe while another crew member operates the furler and outhaul in and out. Your sail is probably "backlashed" and folded over itself. This was probably caused by NOT tailing the outhaul while furling the furler.

Of course, you can hire a sailmaker or rigger to help you.

If you do have vertical battens, I suggest that you hire a sailmaker to help you.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School
720 Winnie Street
Galveston Island, Texas 77550 USA

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 12:36 PM, kavanga@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Just arrived in the Netherlands from Denmark. We had a nice sail, but a problem occured with the mizzen. I could not unfurl the whole sail. It seems to be jammed in the upper part of the mizzen mast. First question: how to get it out? Second question: What is the right procedure to fuel and unfurl the mizzen? I noticed that on the winches you can't see the the furling inside the mast profile.
Please advise me.
.

Willem Kroes

SM 351 'Kavanga'

greatketch@...

Another suggestion...

With in mast furlers it is common to have the upper part of the sail fail to unroll if the boom is allowed to rise too high when unfurling.

If you do not have a vang, try keeping just a little bit of tension on mizzen sheet to keep the boom down just a bit.  I'll bet that gets your sail all the way out.

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Nanny Cay, BVI

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

I agree, the same applies when furling. Allowing the boom to rise when furling will lead to a jam up.
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 25 May 2017 at 10:57 "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Another suggestion...

With in mast furlers it is common to have the upper part of the sail fail to unroll if the boom is allowed to rise too high when unfurling.

If you do not have a vang, try keeping just a little bit of tension on mizzen sheet to keep the boom down just a bit.  I'll bet that gets your sail all the way out.

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Nanny Cay, BVI

Willem Kroes

I appreciated the help that was offered about my small problem. Today I managed to get all of the mizzen out and again inside the small mast and practised the right procedure a few times. But pulling alone to get the sail out does not work. I need to do it with two winch handles, but keeping the boom low and tensioning the outhaul at the same pace as bits of sail coming out will do the trick. Thanks a lot!

Willem Kroes
SM 2000 # 351 Kavanga

Op 25 mei 2017 1:06 a.m. schreef "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>:

I agree, the same applies when furling. Allowing the boom to rise when furling will lead to a jam up.
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 25 May 2017 at 10:57 "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Another suggestion...

With in mast furlers it is common to have the upper part of the sail fail to unroll if the boom is allowed to rise too high when unfurling.

If you do not have a vang, try keeping just a little bit of tension on mizzen sheet to keep the boom down just a bit.  I'll bet that gets your sail all the way out.

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Nanny Cay, BVI

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Willem,

When your SM was new, it came with three winch handles. One of them was short. Use the short one on the mizzen furler and a long one on the outhaul. You will get accustomed to this.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On 25 May 2017 at 10:57 "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Another suggestion...

With in mast furlers it is common to have the upper part of the sail fail to unroll if the boom is allowed to rise too high when unfurling.

If you do not have a vang, try keeping just a little bit of tension on mizzen sheet to keep the boom down just a bit.  I'll bet that gets your sail all the way out.

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Nanny Cay, BVI

greatketch@...

Yes!  Using two 10" winch handles to unfurl the mizzen equals occasionally smashed fingers, at least with my level of coordination!

I am not sure how common it is, or if it was standard factory rigging, but our boat has "vangs" to control the height of the booms when furling.  Just lengths of no-adjustable three strand line from the base of the mast to a shackle on the boom.  They are of a length that they allow the boom to rise as high as you would ever need for sail control, but no higher.

They mean that I can just totally release the sheet when using the furler.  The boom is totally free to move horizontally, but can not rise too high to cause difficulty with the rolling or unrolling sail.

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI

Alan Leslie

Hi  Bill,

The mizzen unfurlling exercise looks like a mad knife thrower, hurling knives at an imaginary target !

You have a vang on your mizzen  boom ? Do you have a pic of it ?

I have thought about putting one on, not because of furling issues, but to keep the boom down when gybing so it doesn't ride up the mizzen backstays. Only issue is that I store my dink upside down on the aft cabin roof when passage making.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

greatketch@...

To call it a "vang" is giving it a name probably more than it deserves. It is just a line from the mast to a shackle on the bottom of the boom about 1/3 of the way back.  The same shackle the preventer connects to.

The biggest and best change I have made to my boat was to add control lines and a line tender so I can control the mizzen traveler from the cockpit. So now my gybe procedure is like this....

Sheet in mizzen so the boom is more or less over the traveler car.
Move traveler to windward side.
Turn boat.
Ease the sheet.

All done from the cockpit.

Not only does it make gybing a piece of cake, I can easily and safely balance and fine tune the boat because I do not have to go out on the aft deck to move the traveler around.  For those of us who learned to sail on small boat, traveler adjustments are something you do all the time.  Having a traveler I had to physically muscle around out on the aft deck seemed to really be counter to everything that the Amel rig was about.

I have seen several Amel sailors who don't do anything with their travelers, just leave them amidships and do all sail trim with the sheets.  They are missing a big chunk of the boat's performance potential.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI

---In amelyachtowners@..., <divanz620@...> wrote :

Hi  Bill,

The mizzen unfurlling exercise looks like a mad knife thrower, hurling knives at an imaginary target !

You have a vang on your mizzen  boom ? Do you have a pic of it ?

I have thought about putting one on, not because of furling issues, but to keep the boom down when gybing so it doesn't ride up the mizzen backstays. Only issue is that I store my dink upside down on the aft cabin roof when passage making.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Peter Buckley <carhartt@...>

Hi Bill,

That is great advice. Can you post a few images please of the setup you have for the traveller. I am guilty of leaving the traveller amidships.

Going to the stern always did seem time consuming during a change in direction.

Thanks

Peter
Gradiva Mango #70
Soon to be heading to Queensland……
--
Peter Buckley

83 Twelfth Avenue
Raymond Island VIC 3880

Phone: 0428 427 786

Email: carhartt@...

From: "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: 26 May 2017 01:14:34 +0000
To: <amelyachtowners@...>
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Procedure to unfurl and fuel the mizzen on a SM

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Hi  Bill,

The mizzen unfurlling exercise looks like a mad knife thrower, hurling knives at an imaginary target !

You have a vang on your mizzen  boom ? Do you have a pic of it ?

I ha ve thought about putting one on, not because of furling issues, but to keep the boom down when gybing so it doesn't ride up the mizzen backstays. Only issue is that I store my dink upside down on the aft cabin roof when passage making.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Hello Peter,

I just uploaded to the Files section..Artimon Remote ... This file was in the files section some years ago, but disappeared...
It shows a line tender and blocks mounted on the mizzen sheet track to control the traveler position from the cockpit.
It is my intention to do the same.
Trust this helps you
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

greatketch@...

You can see my implementation of the solution here:

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI