[Amel Yacht Owners] Oil leak on the "c" drive

Mark Erdos

Hi Paul,

A couple of thoughts on this:

Any oil that leaks from the engine area will drain and accumulate on the aft side of the rubber housing on the c-drive. First, I think I would use a paper towel to plug the hole in the divider just aft of this to ensure it is not engine oil draining down to the c-drive. You will then collect oil in the floor compartment adjacent to this. I would bet a cold beer this is where the oil is coming from.

If you determine it is not coming from the engine, there are only a couple of areas on the c-drive that could possibly leak. The first is where the oil enters the c-drive from the bulkhead mounted fill container. Check the hose connections with a white paper towel for oil. Mark the housing of the plastic fill container and check it after a couple of hundred engine hours to see if in fact you have lost oil. Where the shaft enters the c-drive there are a bunch of allen head screws that seal the unit. Check these for tightness and wipe the lower lip with a paper towel. The only other area is the top of the unit. It would be obvious if you had an oil leak there.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising – Puerto Rico

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 12:04 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Oil leak on the "c" drive

I have discovered some oil just aft of where the drive unit go throuh the hull. I.e below the flexi  coupling. No oil inthe bilge so the leak must be on the after part somewhere. I find ca 50 ml after  50 h of motoring.

There is a rubber "covarage" with hose clamps just where it go through hull could that be the source of leaking?

It could also be the big flange bolted to the drive, but no obvious drops of oil to be found

Anyone experience similar problem?

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM 259. On the hard Yankee Point Marina Virginia

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Mark, 

I agree completely.

AND, the C Drive oil expands when the C Drive reaches operating temperature. Check to make sure that the cap on the oil reservoir is breathing to allow for expansion and that the reservoir is not overfilled.

Eliminate the simple things first.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 12:51 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Paul,

A couple of thoughts on this:

Any oil that leaks from the engine area will drain and accumulate on the aft side of the rubber housing on the c-drive. First, I think I would use a paper towel to plug the hole in the divider just aft of this to ensure it is not engine oil draining down to the c-drive. You will then collect oil in the floor compartment adjacent to this. I would bet a cold beer this is where the oil is coming from.

If you determine it is not coming from the engine, there are only a couple of areas on the c-drive that could possibly leak. The first is where the oil enters the c-drive from the bulkhead mounted fill container. Check the hose connections with a white paper towel for oil. Mark the housing of the plastic fill container and check it after a couple of hundred engine hours to see if in fact you have lost oil. Where the shaft enters the c-drive there are a bunch of allen head screws that seal the unit. Check these for tightness and wipe the lower lip with a paper towel. The only other area is the top of the unit. It would be obvious if you had an oil leak there.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising – Puerto Rico

www.creampuff.us

From: amelyachtowners@...m [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 12:04 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...m
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Oil leak on the "c" drive

I have discovered some oil just aft of where the drive unit go throuh the hull. I.e below the flexi  coupling. No oil inthe bilge so the leak must be on the after part somewhere. I find ca 50 ml after  50 h of motoring.

There is a rubber "covarage" with hose clamps just where it go through hull could that be the source of leaking?

It could also be the big flange bolted to the drive, but no obvious drops of oil to be found

Anyone experience similar problem?

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM 259. On the hard Yankee Point Marina Virginia

Paul Osterberg

Thank you
We have eliminated the oil from the engine, which was my first choice of source. We do have to fill more oil on the reservoir above after ca 100 h. 
Will see if the allen screws are all tight and if it breath from the oil reservoir
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259.

eric freedman

Paul,

The big hose that connects from the C drive to the hull is open to the sea. Be careful if you play with that.

You would only get sea water if this is leaking.

If your C drive is like the one on my Yanmar , the big bracket is held on to the C drive with 4 bolts.  There is no oil there.

Check  the hoses from the expansion tank of the C drive.

If all is good then you probably have a leak from the very large lip seal on the C drive . It is in the sail drive facing the engine. I would look under the sail drive towards the engine and see if there is any evidence of oil leaking there, If so it would probably be the big lip seal. To replace that lip seal you would have to move the engine forward and disconnect the coupling from the C drive from the coupling/transmission.

I just replaced that lip seal on Kimberlite.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 2:26 PM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Oil leak on the "c" drive

Thank you

We have eliminated the oil from the engine, which was my first choice of source. We do have to fill more oil on the reservoir above after ca 100 h. 

Will see if the allen screws are all tight and if it breath from the oil reservoir

Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259.

Bob Grey

Hi guys, having pulled the top of my C drive apart to replace a shaft, when you replace the lip seal, it has a mating wear bushing in steel that also acts as the spacer to tension up the bearings. I replaced this also when I reassembled the unit. I have the Engineering drawing of the assembly if anyone wants it.

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3
Amel 55

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Sunday, May 28, 2017, 07:42, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]

Paul,

The big hose that connects from the C drive to the hull is open to the sea. Be careful if you play with that.

You would only get sea water if this is leaking.

If your C drive is like the one on my Yanmar , the big bracket is held on to the C drive with 4 bolts.  There is no oil there.

Check  the hoses from the expansion tank of the C drive.

If all is good then you probably have a leak from the very large lip seal on the C drive . It is in the sail drive facing the engine. I would look under the sail drive towards the engine and see if there is any evidence of oil leaking there, If so it would probably be the big lip seal. To replace that lip seal you would have to move the engine forward and disconnect the coupling from the C drive from the coupling/transmission.

I just replaced that lip seal on Kimberlite.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 2:26 PM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Oil leak on the "c" drive

Thank you

Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259.