[Amel Yacht Owners] Oil leak on the "c" drive

Mark Erdos

Hi Paul,

A couple of thoughts on this:

Any oil that leaks from the engine area will drain and accumulate on the aft side of the rubber housing on the c-drive. First, I think I would use a paper towel to plug the hole in the divider just aft of this to ensure it is not engine oil draining down to the c-drive. You will then collect oil in the floor compartment adjacent to this. I would bet a cold beer this is where the oil is coming from.

If you determine it is not coming from the engine, there are only a couple of areas on the c-drive that could possibly leak. The first is where the oil enters the c-drive from the bulkhead mounted fill container. Check the hose connections with a white paper towel for oil. Mark the housing of the plastic fill container and check it after a couple of hundred engine hours to see if in fact you have lost oil. Where the shaft enters the c-drive there are a bunch of allen head screws that seal the unit. Check these for tightness and wipe the lower lip with a paper towel. The only other area is the top of the unit. It would be obvious if you had an oil leak there.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising – Puerto Rico

www.creampuff.us