Topics

Instalation SSB

rcavie <no_reply@...>

Hello everyone

Does anyone have an SSB ICOM radio installation diagram in SM?

Some tips?

As always I appreciate the help of those who know how

Rafa

SM2k246

greatketch@...

Hi Rafa,

There is not a lot of things unique about an Amel SSB installation over other boats, but I have a couple of comments on things to consider.  I did not do the installation on our boat, it come with.  So I have no pride of invention, just reporting what works.

We have the long whip antenna mounted on the starboard quarter.  The base plate was mounted on deck and the support was on the rail  When we installed the arch, we moved the base to the transom and the brace to the arch.  It works well either way.

On our boat the antenna tuner was mounted on the shelf in the aft deck locker.  If I was doing it over, I'd mount the tuner in a cabinet inside the aft cabin.  Icom tuners are rated as waterproof, but keeping them rigorously dry is a better plan. and an extra foot or two of lead wire would not be a significant performance issue.  If you want to use the rigging as the antenna, it gets a bit more complex, but still doable, and the physical arrangement will be different.

You'll need a 24 -> 12 volt convertor that is capable of holding the voltage at 13.4 volts at the full rated power draw of the radio if you want the best transmit performance.  That's a lot.  40 Amps if I remember right.

If you are installing an 802, using the triatic stay as the DSC antenna has a lot to recommend it.

There is a lot of black magic on antenna installations.  You'll get a lot a VERY conflicting advice, and everybody will claim to know best.  I am not an antenna expert, but it seems to me copying an installation that works well is a good idea.

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Highlands, NJ

Alan Leslie

Interesting...
We have an ICOM710 with an AT130 tuner mounted in the hanging locker at the aft end of the pilot berth. Our antenna is the main mast backstay. The antenna lead goes through the head access to the base of the mizzen mast and up the mast a few feet and out a hole to connect with the insulated main backstay. It works well.
We initially tried the triatic stay, as the Furuno weather fax was connected to it, but it was worse than useless with the ICOM SSB, so when we re-rigged the boat a couple of years ago, the insulated triatic stay went west.
Interestingly, did you know, that none of the Super Maramu rigging is connected to ground ?
So apart from the risk of a crew member getting zapped, connecting the tuner antenna wire to any part of the standing rigging would work a treat!
We insulated the main backstay to avoid problems with crew getting zapped !
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

greatketch@...

Just to be clear, the triatic is ONLY good as the secondary DSC receiver on a radio like the 802 that needs a separate receive-only antenna for its DSC system to work.  As Alan points out, it would be terrible as a main antenna. It is too short for for some of the lower frequency bands, and, unless you put the tuner at the top of the mast, you would lose virtually all of your transmitting power just getting to the top of the mast.

Since the DSC antenna is receive only, I'd bet that just tying to any piece of ungrounded rigging would be just as good as the triatic.  When I installed an 802 on my old boat I used a 16 foot (3.5 m) piece of 14AWG wire hoisted in the rig for the DSC antenna, and it work like a charm.  Harmonie came to us with a 710, which doesn't have the DSC function so no secondary antenna is used.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Highlands, NJ

---In amelyachtowners@..., <divanz620@...> wrote :

[...]

sbmesasailor

Rafa,

You are getting plenty of good advice from the other members of this group.  The only thing I would add is after you get the system installed, don't try to operate it in a marina.  There is too much interference and you'll think you did something wrong.  I installed ours in San Diego and it wouldn't work until we we were about a mile outside the marina.

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu #121
Shelter Bay, Panama