From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of rcavie
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 9:19 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Instalation SSB

Hello everyone

Does anyone have an SSB ICOM radio installation diagram in SM?

Some tips?

As always I appreciate the help of those who know how

Rafa

SM2k246

Massimo Vecchietti

..I have an ICOM 706 MK II G, what is the question?
Max
SM Patchouli II. N.84

Il 13 Giu 2017 11:04 PM, "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> ha scritto:

Rafa,

I installed an Icom SSB. What specifically would you like to know?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising – Puerto Rico

www.creampuff.us

Does anyone have an SSB ICOM radio installation diagram in SM?

Some tips?

As always I appreciate the help of those who know how

Rafa

SM2k246

rcavie <no_reply@...>

Hi Max
I have the same Icom 706 MK2g and the tunner AT 120.
I will install my radio and I would like if you have a special converter from 24 to 12 V. What kind of antenna do you use, Shakespeare?
Pleas let me know your experience with this radio.
I´ve got some information about grounding from others amel owners.
Thank you very much
Rafael
Agapanthe
SM2k246

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Rafel,

The Icom 24-13.6VDC Converter used by Amel on SSB installations is difficult to find. Normal price is around $800-$1,000USD.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 9:19 AM, rcavie <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hi Max

I have the same Icom 706 MK2g and the tunner AT 120.
I will install my radio and I would like if you have a special converter from 24 to 12 V. What kind of antenna do you use, Shakespeare?
Pleas let me know your experience with this radio.
I´ve got some information about grounding from others amel owners.
Thank you very much
Rafael
Agapanthe
SM2k246

Massimo Vecchietti

...I am very satisfied of this radio ,connected to a Pactor III.
I have used  the  starboard back-stay as antenna and AT 140  tunner
Normal transformer from 24v to 12 v.
Only AT 140 is connected to ground
Max
SY Patchouli II  n 84

Il 14 Giu 2017 5:24 PM, "rcavie" <no_reply@...> ha scritto:

Hi Max

I have the same Icom 706 MK2g and the tunner AT 120.
I will install my radio and I would like if you have a special converter from 24 to 12 V. What kind of antenna do you use, Shakespeare?
Pleas let me know your experience with this radio.
I´ve got some information about grounding from others amel owners.
Thank you very much
Rafael
Agapanthe
SM2k246

eric freedman

Rafael,

There are a lot of inexpensive 24 to 12 volt electronic converters much smaller than the old Icom unit.

I carry a few just in case one of the other 5 converters go bad.

Just google 24 to 12 volt converters. I forgot which ones I purchased .

Here is a sample

http://shop.pkys.com/Victron-Energy-Orion-2412-40-DC-DC-Converter-with-40-Amp-Output_p_2766.html

This one is 480 watts..

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Alan Leslie

You need to be careful with these 24 to 12 volt converters.
Ideally to suit the Amel system you need an isolated converter i.e. one where the input negative is isolated from the output negative.
If you use a non-isolated converter where the input negative is connected to the output negative, then you will have a direct path from the house battery negative to the ships ground when you connect to the Icom SSB, as inside the ICOM SSB the -ve 12v rail is connected to ground. This is anathema to the Amel grounding system of isolating the battery negative from ground.
So, to avoid this you either need an isolated 24-12 converter or, do what I did, with a non-isolated converter, and put in a relay to completely disconnect the converter from the SSB when its not in use.
The Victron 24-12 unit mentioned is not an isolated unit.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

eric freedman

Alan,

You are absolutely right in the case of the ICOM, I forget to check the example.

I did purchase isolated ground units.

I think only on the Icom does it make a difference, the other converters are without a ground.

[...]

Hello Eric,

It's the ground in the SSB transceiver and the antenna tuner that is the problem, and I would think that -ve tied to ground is pretty common practice in most radios.
The AT130/140 tuners, for example, use the ground shield in the coax cables, which are connected to the antenna ground, as the negative return for the tuner power supply which comes from the transceiver.
If the 24-12 converter is not isolated, the -ve rail in the transceiver / tuner combination finds it's way to ships ground through the seawater from the tuner ground plate to the anodes on the rudder.. and it will light up the little red test light in the companionway when you push the switch fwd.... you don;t need to ask me how I know that !

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437