[Amel Yacht Owners] Battery charger for SM

eric freedman

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Ian and Judy.
Our hull numbers are about the same.
We have a 100 amp and 30 amp dolphin mounted above and behind the gen set. Fit well there.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On 22 Jun 2017 22:27, "Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill and Danny,

Thanks. I have emailed Reya in Toulon , sent a photo and details of the problem so hope they will be able to fix it.

If not, I will come back to this site to see if anyone else has recommendations for alternatives. Unfortunately, Reya now make a 40 amp whose dimensions are  too big for my space  or a 20 amp which I could fit if I put it sideways, but I'm not sure how the fan would like that.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Italy

From: amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: 22 June 2017 18:33:39
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Battery charger for SM

Ian,

Try the following contacts:
REYA - EUROMARINE - Groupe Alliance Marine
2599 Route de la Fénerie
06580 Pégomas
Tel. + 33 493 904 708
Fax + 33 493 902 440
Email: export"at"reya.com

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 11:52 AM, simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Ian and Judy.
We contacted the dolphin manufacturer from Fiji regarding repair. Because of the impractability of two way transport from Fiji they gave us a great new price. This was 3 ,or so years ago. We were very impressed with their service, and with the product.
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 22 Jun 2017 5:24 p.m., "Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi all,

After 17 years of valiant service our 30 amp, 24v charger has died. The green light still shines brightly and the fan works, but no output. A local electrician has pronounced a problem with the circuit board. I have written to Reya to see if they will repair it, but they are not known as quick correspondents.

The thing I love about the Dolphin charger is that it is small and light ( less than 5 kg ).  To replace it means finding another which is no more than 28cm  high and  34 wide.  The depth isn't critical.

Has anyone had success in 

a) getting Reya to repair an old Dolphin,   or

b) finding a suitable alternative which can fir in the same space ?

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Fiumicino, Italy

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Hi Danny , 

Sounds as though you have the same set up as we do. 
The Dolphins take up very little space but they do take up all the space available . 
If Reya say that they can't repair my 30 ah ( same size as the 50 ah ) then the challenge will be to find a new charger which can fit the save of the old one . 
Unfortunately it seems that in the last 17 years chargers seem to have grown bigger ! 
If anyone has successfully found an alternative that fits the space it would be good to hear . 

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen ,  SM 302 Italy

On 23 Jun 2017, at 08:34, simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Ian and Judy.
Our hull numbers are about the same.
We have a 100 amp and 30 amp dolphin mounted above and behind the gen set. Fit well there.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 22 Jun 2017 22:27, "Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill and Danny,

Thanks. I have emailed Reya in Toulon , sent a photo and details of the problem so hope they will be able to fix it.

If not, I will come back to this site to see if anyone else has recommendations for alternatives. Unfortunately, Reya now make a 40 amp whose dimensions are  too big for my space  or a 20 amp which I could fit if I put it sideways, but I'm not sure how the fan would like that.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Italy

From: amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: 22 June 2017 18:33:39
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Battery charger for SM

Ian,

Try the following contacts:
REYA - EUROMARINE - Groupe Alliance Marine
2599 Route de la Fénerie
06580 Pégomas
Tel. + 33 493 904 708
Fax + 33 493 902 440
Email: export"at"reya.com

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 11:52 AM, simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Ian and Judy.
We contacted the dolphin manufacturer from Fiji regarding repair. Because of the impractability of two way transport from Fiji they gave us a great new price. This was 3 ,or so years ago. We were very impressed with their service, and with the product.
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 22 Jun 2017 5:24 p.m., "Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi all,

After 17 years of valiant service our 30 amp, 24v charger has died. The green light still shines brightly and the fan works, but no output. A local electrician has pronounced a problem with the circuit board. I have written to Reya to see if they will repair it, but they are not known as quick correspondents.

The thing I love about the Dolphin charger is that it is small and light ( less than 5 kg ).  To replace it means finding another which is no more than 28cm  high and  34 wide.  The depth isn't critical.

Has anyone had success in 

a) getting Reya to repair an old Dolphin,   or

b) finding a suitable alternative which can fir in the same space ?

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Fiumicino, Italy

Alan Leslie

Hi Ian and Judy,

Our 30A Dolphin charger died too, a few of years ago.
We replaced it with a much more sophisticated unit - ProMariner ProNautic 2430P from Defender
It has selections for every known battery type plus custom settings.
It fitted perfectly in the space taken by the Dolphin 30.

All the guff is here :

It hasn't missed a beat.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437  

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Thanks Alan , that's really useful . 

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 
Gently sailing south in Italian waters

On 23 Jun 2017, at 12:48, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Ian and Judy,

Our 30A Dolphin charger died too, a few of years ago.
We replaced it with a much more sophisticated unit - ProMariner ProNautic 2430P from Defender
It has selections for every known battery type plus custom settings.
It fitted perfectly in the space taken by the Dolphin 30.

All the guff is here :

It hasn't missed a beat.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437