[Amel Yacht Owners] not enough RPM and only 6 knots with 2300

tfortner1975

Hi Philipp,

How is the cleanness of your prop and hull? No barnacle growth?

Trevor
SV Iris, SN027
Phuket - on the hard

On Jun 25, 2017, at 8:16 AM, philipp.sollberger@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Does anybody has an idea what I still can do with my engine (TMD22), that I get back my speed from 7 knots with 2300 RPM and with the max RPM of 3500 and a speed through the water with 8 knots?
I have already cleaned the tank and the diesel and I have changed the turbo charger because  the clap could be moved.

I had the happy situation with the max rpm and max speed two years ago and since then the performance went down.

Thanks for your remarks in advance.

Fair winds.

Philipp, Félicie
SM 124

PS: I got the information from the engine technician, that the engines can go to 4500 rpm but AMEL has put a bigger Propeller with the effect that max rpm is 3500 with turbo charger. So you can't overdrive the engine with max rpm. The consumation is only going up exponentially....

philipp.sollberger@...

Hi Trevor,

The hull and the prop were cleaned completely last year and I had the same situation not more speed than 6 knots.

I thought also about barncacle growth but after cleaning hull and prop there was no remarkable change after it.

Fair winds.

Philipp
SM 124, Félicie

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

See my previous. 2800rpm is the correct Max operating rpm for the tmd 22. Whatever any one else may tell you.
Regards
Danny
SM299
Ocean Pearl

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On 25 Jun 2017 09:16, "philipp.sollberger@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Philipp,

Same here, I will not exceed 2300 rpm while the boat is moving.
If at the dock (boat attached) then I can reach more.

I was told this is because of the propeller being oversized (and is normal).
If before you were able to go faster, it is likely because your vessel is now heavier.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Port de Gustavia, Saint Barthélémy, FWI

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] not enough RPM and only 6 knots with 2300
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, June 25, 2017, 2:16 AM

[...]

Hi all
Again I say. TMD 22 in Amel SM. Max revs under power is 2800rpm. If you were getting 3500 almost certainly the waste gate on the turbo was seized and the engine was being over turbo'ed.
This will lead to damage to the rings and pistons leading to loss of compression and loss of performance. The waste gates purpose is to limit the pressure provided by the turbo. As revs increase the waste gate progressively opens.
So once again. TMD 22. 2800rpm working max revs. No load it will happily run up to 4000 which is what misleads so many owners.