Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Isolated converter


Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Eric & Kent,

I think the answer is obvious. Any non-modified and totally original Amel-installed SSB will receive and transmit very little RF from the Amel-installed electric devices, such as battery chargers, etc. 

I know many of my friends on other boats had to shut down everything to use their SSBs.


CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

   

On Jun 24, 2017 22:06, "kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Kent,

I believe we spoke abut an isolated power supply for the

ICOM. Why can a non isolated

be used on the

icom?

fair winds,
Eric


eric freedman
 


Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Eric,

I, too was referring to the Icom 24 t 12VDC converter.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970



On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 1:58 PM, kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Bill,
I was speaking about the Icom dc converter and wondered why someone mentioned it needed an isolated converter. My freezers made rf on the ssb. I installed magnets on the dc power to the compressors and the noise wemt away.
Fair Winds,
Eric
sm 376

----- Original Message -----
From: "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date: Sunday, June 25, 2017 9:22 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Isolated converter
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

> Eric & Kent,
>
> I think the answer is obvious. Any non-modified and totally original
> Amel-installed SSB will receive and transmit very little RF from the
> Amel-installed electric devices, such as battery chargers, etc.
>
> I know many of my friends on other boats had to shut down
> everything to use
> their SSBs.
>
>
> CW Bill Rouse
> Admiral, Texas Navy
> Commander Emeritus
> Amel School www.amelschool.com
> 720 Winnie St
> Galveston Island, TX 77550
> +1(832) 380-4970
>
>
>
> On Jun 24, 2017 22:06, "kimberlite@... et
> [amelyachtowners]" <
> amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Hi Kent,
> >
> > I believe we spoke abut an isolated power supply for the
> > ICOM. Why can a non isolated
> >
> > be used on the
> > icom?
> >
> > fair winds,
> > Eric
> >
> >
>



eric freedman
 


Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Eric,

I understand completely. When I do not understand something that Amel has done in a Super Maramu, I assume that Amel must be right and I do not understand. In all my years with Amel experience this personal rule has not failed me. This same rule does not apply to recent things Amel has done.


CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970



On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 3:48 PM, kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Bill,
When I posted a cheap converter for someone to use, I forgot who said that the converter I recommended was not isolated and could not be used. I wondered why he said that.
If you hook just 24 volts + and - to the converter and take off only 12 volts + and -
and do not connect the bonding to the converter , I do not understand why it can not be used.
Fair Winds,
Eric
sm 376

----- Original Message -----
From: "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date: Sunday, June 25, 2017 3:15 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Isolated converter
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com"

> Eric,
>
> I, too was referring to the Icom 24 t 12VDC converter.
>
> CW Bill Rouse
> Admiral, Texas Navy
> Commander Emeritus
> Amel School www.amelschool.com
> 720 Winnie St
> Galveston Island, TX 77550
> +1(832) 380-4970 <(832)%20380-4970>
>
>
>
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 1:58 PM, kimberlite@...
> [amelyachtowners] wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Bill,
> > I was speaking about the Icom dc converter and wondered why someone
> > mentioned it needed an isolated con verter. My freezers made rf
> on the ssb.
> > I installed magnets on the dc power to the compressors and the noise
> > wemt away.
> > Fair Winds,
> > Eric
> > sm 376
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]"
> > Date: Sunday, June 25, 2017 9:22 am
> > Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Isolated converter
> > To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
> >
> > > Eric & Kent,
> > >
> > > I think the answer is obvious. Any non-modified and totally
> original> > Amel-installed SSB will receive and transmit very
> little RF from the
> > > Amel-installed electric devices, such as battery chargers, etc.
> > >
> > > I know many of my friends on other boats had to shut down
> > > everything to use
> > & gt; their SSBs.
> > >
> > >
> > > CW Bill Rouse
> > > Admiral, Texas Navy
> > > Commander Emeritus
> > > Amel School www.amelschool.com
> > > 720 Winnie St
> > > Galveston Island, TX 77550
> > > +1(832) 380-4970 <(832)%20380-4970>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Jun 24, 2017 22:06, "kimberlite@... et
> > > [amelyachtowners]" <
> > > amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Hi Kent,
> > > >
> > > > I believe we spoke abut an isolated power supply for the
> > > > ICOM. Why can a non isolated
> > > >
> > > > be used on the
> > > > icom?
> > > >
> > > > fair winds,
> > > > E ric
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>



eric freedman
 


Alan Leslie
 

Hi Eric,
It was me.

I'll try again.

It has nothing to do with connecting the bonding to the converter.

Non-isolated converter  means that inside the converter, the 24 volt input negative is connected to the 12 volt output negative.
Inside the ICOM SSB, the 12 volt negative is connected to the SSB ground point.
ICOM recommend you connect the SSB ground point, and the Tuner ground point, to the radio grounding plate on the skeg (which is in the sea water).
With your non-isolated converter you now have an electrical path from the 24 volt negative to the immersed radio grounding plate and through the salt water to the anodes on the rudder which are connected to the ship's ground bonding. So you have a path from the 24 Volt negative to the ship's ground, which in Amel land is not allowed.

Two ways you can deal with this

1. Use an isolated converter. The 24 volt input negative is isolated from (not connected to) the 12 volt output negative, so the fact that inside the SSB the 12 volt negative is connected to the SSB ground is no issue since there is no connection to the 24 volt negative.

2. with a non-isolated converter, install a relay in the 24 volt negative feed to the non-isolated converter, powered from a switch (or the existing cct breaker in the hanging locker, but that's a pain to reach) which you use to switch the 24 volt positive on to your converter and REMEMBER to switch it OFF when not using the SSB. This will connect the 24 volt negative to ships ground, as discussed above, BUT only while you are using the SSB. The short time won't cause any corrosion issues.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437



Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Eric,

No, I do not know, but Amel installs the Icon with a double pole breaker, cutting off both the positive and the negative and the Icom has a double pole rocker switch on its face.

Maybe there is something to it.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970





On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 11:12 PM, kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Bill,
Do you have any idea why someone would say that an non-isolated converter would be bad?
He mentioned that he installed a relay to disconnect the converter when the radio was not in use?
Fair Winds,
Eric
sm 376 Kimberlite

----- Original Message -----
From: "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date: Sunday, June 25, 2017 5:17 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Isolated converter
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com"

> Eric,
>
> I understand completely. When I do not understand something that
> Amel has
> done in a Super Maramu, I assume that Amel must be right and I
> do not
> understand. In all my years with Amel experience this personal
> rule has not
> failed me. This same rule does not apply to recent things Amel 
> has done.
>
>
> CW Bill Rouse
> Admiral, Texas Navy
> Commander Emeritus
> Amel School www.amelschool.com
> 720 Winnie St
> Galveston Island, TX 77550
> +1(832) 380-4970 <(832)%20380-4970>
>
&g t;
>
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 3:48 PM, kimberlite@...
> [amelyachtowners] wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Bill,
> > When I posted a cheap converter for someone to use, I forgot
> who said that
> > the converter I recommended was not isolated and could not be
> used. I
> > wondered why he said that.
> > If you hook just 24 volts + and - to the converter and take
> off only 12
> > volts + and -
> > and do not connect the bonding to the converter , I do not
> understand why
> > it can not be used.
> > Fair Winds,
> > Eric
> > sm 376
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]"
> > Date: Sunday, June 25, 2017 3:15 pm
> > Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Isolated converter
> &gt ; To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com"
> >
> > > Eric,
> > >
> > > I, too was referring to the Icom 24 t 12VDC converter.
> > >
> > > CW Bill Rouse
> > > Admiral, Texas Navy
> > > Commander Emeritus
> > > Amel School www.amelschool.com
> > > 720 Winnie St
> > > Galveston Island, TX 77550
> > > +1(832) 380-4970 <(832)%20380-4970> <(832)%20380-4970>

> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 1:58 PM, kimberlite@...
> > > [amelyachtowners] wrote:
> > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Bill,
> > > > I was speaking about the Icom dc converter and wondered
> why someone
> > > > mentioned it needed an isolated con verter. My freezers
> made rf
> > > on the ss b.
> > > > I installed magnets on the dc power to the compressors and
> the noise
> > > > wemt away.
> > > > Fair Winds,
> > > > Eric
> > > > sm 376
> > > >
> > > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > > From: "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@...
> [amelyachtowners]"> > > Date: Sunday, June 25, 2017 9:22 am
> > > > Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Isolated converter
> > > > To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
> > > >
> > > > > Eric & Kent,
> > > > >
> > > > > I think the answer is obvious. Any non-modified and totally
> > > original> > Amel-installed SSB will receive and transmit very
> > > little RF from the
> > > > > Amel-installed electric devices, such as battery
> chargers, etc.
> > > > >
> > > > > I know many of my friends on other boats had to shut down
> > > > > everything to use
> > > > & gt; their SSBs.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > CW Bill Rouse
> > > > > Admiral, Texas Navy
> > > > > Commander Emeritus
> > > > > Amel School www.amelschool.com
> > > > > 720 Winnie St
> > > > > Galveston Island, TX 77550
> > > > > +1(832) 380-4970 <(832)%20380-4970> <(832)%20380-4970>
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > On Jun 24, 2017 22:06, "kimberlite@... et
> > > > > [amelyachtowners]" <
> > > > > amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > &g t; >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hi Kent,
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I believe we spoke abut an isolated power supply for the
> > > > > > ICOM. Why can a non isolated
> > > > > >
> > > > > > be used on the
> > > > > > icom?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > fair winds,
> > > > > > E ric
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>



eric freedman
 


Alan Leslie
 

Hi Eric,

Sorry, I don't know if the ICOM converter is isolated or not.
If you have one an easy way to check is to put your multimeter on ohms and put one led on the 24 -Ve and the other on the 12-ve...if you get a reading of less than infinity or many megohms, then it's not isolated.
Maybe someone has a data sheet for the ICOM converter ? 

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437