From: "kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]"
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2017 11:06 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Isolated converter

Hi Kent,
I believe we spoke abut an isolated power supply for the
ICOM. Why can a non isolated
be used on the
icom?
fair winds,
Eric

eric freedman

karkauai

I have an ICOM 710 that was original on the boat in 1999, and an AT 130? antenna tuner, also original equipment.  I can't receive any regular broadcasts (like Herb Hilgenberg in years past, Chris Parker, etc).  I was able to contact someone locally (a friend of a radio guy i had looking at it) transmitting on a know frequency, but didn't hear his reply.  I had the whole system checked by a radio guy, sent the radio to ICOM who said it was OK, and put an insulated backstay antenna when I replaced my rigging a few years ago.  Still no go.  I haven't had the tuner checked, I guess that'd be the next place to look.

Does anyone know a good radio technician in the Annapolis area?

Another issue is that my hearing is getting worse, especially when there's any background noise.  I'm wondering if it's worth spending any more money on SSB if I'm not going to be able to understand a thing anyway.  Has anyone used any kind of noise cancelling headphones to eliminate static or background noise?  Does it help?

I've used Iridium SatpHone for all at sea communications, and now have an InReach as well.

Kent
SM243
Kristy

eric freedman

karkauai

Thanks, Eric,
 Will do.

Kent
Kristy
SM243

webercardio <webercardio@...>

Try to get a member from the local ham radio club on your boat to measure  your  system/antenna.
They have the equipment you need - swr meter etc.
 If everything works well than you can use systems to filter the speech.
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise

Stephen Davis

Hey Kent,

Try the link below to find a SSB tech in your area. It looks like at least 4 folks you could call.

Steve
Aloha SM72
Aruba

On Jun 26, 2017, at 10:59, webercardio webercardio@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Try to get a member from the local ham radio club on your boat to measure  your  system/antenna.
They have the equipment you need - swr meter etc.
 If everything works well than you can use systems to filter the speech.
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise

karkauai

Hi Steve, thanks, but no link attached?
Send to my email below, thanks.