Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Cabin Air Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good afternoon,

Today, I hear the fuse of the 220 Volt Panel tripping (the one behind the panel).
I found out the fuse of the marina also trip.

After running tests, the cause is the Aft Cabin Air Conditioning (which I have been using non stop for 9 days).

Running the salon does not trip anything.

What could be the cause?
How to diagnostic and solve the issue?

Did I use too much the air conditioning?
How come the Diruptor did not trip, but the 220 Volt Panel did?
How come I trip the marina fuse?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Port de Gustavia, Saint Barthélémy, FWI

John Clark

Hi Alex,
   Do the breakers trip as soon as the AC tries to start?   On my older SM there is a time delay.  The water pump starts, then the fan, then after about ten seconds the compressor starts.
If yours is similar perhaps you can isolate the component that is causing trouble.

Might be inexpensive fix like a start capacitor.

Regards,   John

SV Annie (fmr. Vent de Soleil)  SM 37
Charleston, SC

On Jun 26, 2017 5:19 PM, "Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good afternoon,

Today, I hear the fuse of the 220 Volt Panel tripping (the one behind the panel).
I found out the fuse of the marina also trip.

After running tests, the cause is the Aft Cabin Air Conditioning (which I have been using non stop for 9 days).

Running the salon does not trip anything.

What could be the cause?
How to diagnostic and solve the issue?

Did I use too much the air conditioning?
How come the Diruptor did not trip, but the 220 Volt Panel did?
How come I trip the marina fuse?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Port de Gustavia, Saint Barthélémy, FWI

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Hello John,

Very likely the breaker trip as soon as the Air Conditioning tries to start.

Would be nice if this was the start Capacitor.
Going to wait for more replies then look at the capacitors tomorrow (the electric room at the marina is closed).

Does the “start” Capacitor only work when the air conditioning starts?
If yes, then I am afraid it is not that as the air conditioning have been running continuously.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Cabin Air Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, June 26, 2017, 4:24 PM

Hi Alex,   Do the breakers trip as
soon as the AC tries to start?   On my older SM there is a
time delay.  The water pump starts, then the fan, then
after about ten seconds the compressor starts.
 If yours is similar perhaps you can isolate the
component that is causing trouble.
Might be inexpensive fix like a
start capacitor.
Regards,   John
SV Annie (fmr. Vent de Soleil)  SM
37Charleston, SC
On Jun 26, 2017 5:19 PM,
"Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...
[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Mark Erdos

Alexandre,

The start capacitor starts the compressor as the unit cycles during normal usage. These are common causes of failure in marine AC units. It is possible that you had some low voltage or fluctuation in the marina and the capacitor failed.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising – St Croix, USVI

www.creampuff.us

Date: Monday, June 26, 2017, 4:24 PM

Hi Alex,   Do the breakers trip as
soon as the AC tries to start?   On my older SM there is a
time delay.  The water pump starts, then the fan, then
after about ten seconds the compressor starts.
 If yours is similar perhaps you can isolate the
component that is causing trouble.
Might be inexpensive fix like a
start capacitor.
Regards,   John
SV Annie (fmr. Vent de Soleil)  SM
37Charleston, SC
On Jun 26, 2017 5:19 PM,
"Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...
[amelyachtowners]"
wrote:

John Clark

Right, but I bet the compressor turns on and off to regulate temperature...so maybe the start/run capacitor trips the breaker sometime after it warms up....

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, June 26, 2017, 4:24 PM

Hi Alex,   Do the breakers trip as
soon as the AC tries to start?   On my older SM there is a
time delay.  The water pump starts, then the fan, then
after about ten seconds the compressor starts.
 If yours is similar perhaps you can isolate the
component that is causing trouble.
Might be inexpensive fix like a
start capacitor.
Regards,   John
SV Annie (fmr. Vent de Soleil)  SM
37Charleston, SC
On Jun 26, 2017 5:19 PM,
"Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...
[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:

eric freedman

eric freedman

eric freedman

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Alexandre,

One way to trip both a breaker internal to the boat and a breaker at the dock at the same time and to not trip the Diruptor breaker can conceivably be:

1.  The breaker internal to your boat happens to be an RCD breaker in addition to being a regular breaker.

2.  The breaker at the dock happens to be RCD breaker in addition to being a regular breaker, or, the breakers are joined in such a way that if the RCD breaker trips, it also disconnects the regular breaker.

This happened to Peregrinus.  It was a current leak from a defective water heating unit.  Both an RCD breaker internal to the boat and the dock's breakers would trip simultaneously.  The Diruptor never tripped.

Cheerio,

SM2K Nr. 350
Kaunos (ancient Caria), Asia Minor

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning John, Mark, Eric and Francisco and thank you for your replies,

Based on what you wrote, I suspect a short and a dead compressor…

Going to test the Capacitors, but how to “discharge them” prior to testing?

Eric, I did not really understand the: “if the AC switch is off at the thermostat does it still trip the breaker?”

To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, June 26, 2017, 9:24 PM

Alexandre.
if the AC switch is off at the thermostat does it still
trip the breaker?
The breaker on the AC panel side is a quick blow
circuit breaker, If there is a short it will
trip before the diruptor. If the AC is on at the
thermostat and the circuit still trips the breaker,
Check the continuity of the compressor to ground. If
there is a short to ground the compressor is dead.
Fair Winds,
Eric
sm 376

----- Original
Message -----
From: "Alexandre
Uster von
Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date: Monday, June 26, 2017 5:19 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Cabin Air
Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina
To: amelyachtowners@...

> Good afternoon,
>
> Today, I hear the
fuse of the 220 Volt Panel tripping (the one
> behind the panel).
found out the fuse of the marina also trip.

> After running tests,
the cause is the Aft Cabin Air Conditioning
> (which I have been using non stop for 9
days).

> Running
the salon does not trip anything.

> What could be the cause?
> How to diagnostic and solve the issue?
>
> Did I use too much
the air conditioning?
> How come the
Diruptor did not trip, but the 220 Volt Panel did?
> How come I trip the marina fuse?
>
> Thanks in advance.

> Sincerely,
Alexandre
> SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
> Port de Gustavia, Saint Barthélémy,
FWI

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Alex,

I think I understand that as soon as you turn on the A/C, the main 30amp Ground Fault Interrupt (GFI) breaker trips (on the side of the 220V breaker panel). Your shore power also has a GFI breaker.

If this is true, that particular symptom probably has nothing to do with the the compressor, or any part on the Climma Compact 9 unit for the aft cabin.

Here is why:
  • When you turn ON any of your AC units, the only powered device inside the Compact 9 is the countdown timer. It will be the only thing powered until the countdown expires which is probably 10-20 seconds.
  • When you turn ON any of your AC units the pump relay box and the pump should be immediately powered.
Therefore:
If the 30 amp Ground Fault Breaker trips during the timer countdown, your symptom is most likely caused by a ground fault, and the most likely place for a ground fault is at the Calpeda BCM20E pump, or less likely the pump relay box.

This is what I would investigate:
  1. Is the mechanical seal leaking and running inside the motor? (most likely)
  2. Is the capacitor good? If you don't know replace it.
  3. Did the pump motor get wet?
I hope this helps.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

From: "Alexandre
Uster von
Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date: Monday, June 26, 2017 5:19 pm
Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

> Good afternoon,
>
> Today, I hear the
fuse of the 220 Volt Panel tripping (the one
> behind the panel).
found out the fuse of the marina also trip.

> After running tests,
the cause is the Aft Cabin Air Conditioning
> (which I have been using non stop for 9
days).

> Running
the salon does not trip anything.

> What could be the cause?
> How to diagnostic and solve the issue?
>
> Did I use too much
the air conditioning?
> How come the
Diruptor did not trip, but the 220 Volt Panel did?
> How come I trip the marina fuse?
>
> Thanks in advance.

> Sincerely,
Alexandre
> SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
> Port de Gustavia, Saint Barthélémy,
FWI

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Bill,

As always thanks for your help.

Haven’t start to look at the air conditioning (finishing work for a client).

I am able to run the salon air conditioning without problem (haven’t tried the forward cabin) so to me, the calpeda pump is fine.
The breaker only trips when I use the aft cabin air conditioning.
So something in that units is causing the issue (I assume a short, ground fault).

In 30 min, I should be able to test the capacitors, I just don’t know how to “discharge” them… any suggestion?

Thanks again, sincerely, Alexandre

To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: Tuesday, June 27, 2017, 8:00 AM

[...]
what I would investigate:Is the
mechanical seal leaking and running inside the motor? (most
likely)
Is the capacitor good? If
you don't know replace it.Did the pump motor

------------------------------ --------------

On Mon, 6/26/17, kimberlite@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Cabin Air Conditioning
Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com

From: "Alexandre

Uster von

Baar uster@... [
amelyachtowners]"

Date: Monday, June 26, 2017 5:19 pm

Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com

> Good afternoon,

> Today, I hear the

fuse of the 220 Volt Panel tripping (the one

> behind the panel).

found out the fuse of the marina also trip.

> After running tests,

the cause is the Aft Cabin Air Conditioning

> (which I have been using non stop for 9

days).

> Running

the salon does not trip anything.

> What could be the cause?

> How to diagnostic and solve the issue?

> Did I use too much

the air conditioning?

> How come the

Diruptor did not trip, but the 220 Volt Panel did?

> How come I trip the marina fuse?

> Thanks in advance.

> Sincerely,

Alexandre

> SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

> Port de Gustavia, Saint Barthélémy,

FWI

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202 --
#yiv7236470202ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-mkp #yiv7236470202hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-mkp #yiv7236470202ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-mkp .yiv7236470202ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-mkp .yiv7236470202ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-mkp .yiv7236470202ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-sponsor
#yiv7236470202ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-sponsor
#yiv7236470202ygrp-lc #yiv7236470202hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-sponsor
#yiv7236470202ygrp-lc .yiv7236470202ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202activity span
.yiv7236470202underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv7236470202 .yiv7236470202attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv7236470202 .yiv7236470202attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7236470202 .yiv7236470202attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv7236470202 .yiv7236470202attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv7236470202 .yiv7236470202attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7236470202 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv7236470202 .yiv7236470202bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7236470202 .yiv7236470202bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7236470202 dd.yiv7236470202last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7236470202 dd.yiv7236470202last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7236470202 dd.yiv7236470202last p
span.yiv7236470202yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv7236470202 div.yiv7236470202attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7236470202 div.yiv7236470202attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv7236470202 div.yiv7236470202file-title a, #yiv7236470202
div.yiv7236470202file-title a:active, #yiv7236470202
div.yiv7236470202file-title a:hover, #yiv7236470202
div.yiv7236470202file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7236470202 div.yiv7236470202photo-title a,
#yiv7236470202 div.yiv7236470202photo-title a:active,
#yiv7236470202 div.yiv7236470202photo-title a:hover,
#yiv7236470202 div.yiv7236470202photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7236470202 div#yiv7236470202ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv7236470202ygrp-msg p a span.yiv7236470202yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv7236470202 .yiv7236470202green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv7236470202 .yiv7236470202MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv7236470202 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv7236470202 .yiv7236470202replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv7236470202 input, #yiv7236470202 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv7236470202
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-mlmsg #yiv7236470202logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-msg
p#yiv7236470202attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-reco
#yiv7236470202reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-sponsor #yiv7236470202ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-sponsor #yiv7236470202ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-sponsor #yiv7236470202ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv7236470202

eric freedman

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

My suggestion is to buy a multi-tester that will check capacitors.

Inside the Climma Compact Control Box are 5 capacitors. Three of these are Fan Speed Capacitors...they are the smallest of the 5 and are normally strapped together. You will see these three first, before digging deeper to find the next two. If it is a capacitor, it is likely the next two.

If you cannot get a tester, replace these two. Here is a previous post from Gary Silver

From Gary Silver #335
Each Climma Air Conditioner of the vintage of my boat (SM Hull # 335) has five capacitors as follows:
1 each: 40 microFarads 420 volts to 470 volts (Biggest physical size)
1 each: 10 microFarads 420 volts to 470 volts (Medium size)
2 each: 2 microFarads 450 volts, 50 Hertz (small size)
1 each: 3.15 microFarads 450 volt, 50 Hertz (small size)

The capacitors that failed on my boat (and which I believe are the run capacitors for the compressor motors) were the 10 microFarad capacitors. The original ones were cylindrical and measured 3 inches long by 1 and 3/8 inches in diameter and were in a plastic casing. They had 5/8 inch long spade connectors. The replacement ones I found were ovoid, in a metal casing, were larger physically and rated at 600 volts. None of those have failed but were large enough that they would not fit inside the control box that contained all the other electronic components. I attached them to the outside of the box and insulated the connectors so nobody would take a large shock if they shorted across the terminals. The only capacitors that have failed were the 10 mfd capacitors. I bought spares of each, but have only had to use the 10 microFarad capacitors.

To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>

From: "Alexandre

Uster von

Baar uster@... [
amelyachtowners]"

Date: Monday, June 26, 2017 5:19 pm

Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com

> Good afternoon,

> Today, I hear the

fuse of the 220 Volt Panel tripping (the one

> behind the panel).

found out the fuse of the marina also trip.

> After running tests,

the cause is the Aft Cabin Air Conditioning

> (which I have been using non stop for 9

days).

> Running

the salon does not trip anything.

> What could be the cause?

> How to diagnostic and solve the issue?

> Did I use too much

the air conditioning?

> How come the

Diruptor did not trip, but the 220 Volt Panel did?

> How come I trip the marina fuse?

> Thanks in advance.

> Sincerely,

Alexandre

> [...]

#yiv7236470202reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-sponsor #yiv7236470202ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-sponsor #yiv7236470202ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-sponsor #yiv7236470202ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv7236470202 #yiv7236470202ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {

I run the forward air conditioning without problem.

As Eric ask, I switch on the Aft Air Conditioning with the switch in neutral position (neither cold not hot) and right away the Ground Fault Interrupt (GFI) breaker trip (as well as the marina).
What does that tell you?

To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Tuesday, June 27, 2017, 9:10 AM

Alexandre,
there is a switch and thermostat by each AC unit. when
the switch is in neutral position does the breaker still
trip? if not does it trip when the switch is in the heat
position?
To discharge the capacitor take a wire with insulated
alligator clips put one clip on the body of the pump or case
and the other clip to a lug of the capacitor.
Fair winds,
Eric
Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina
To: amelyachtowners@...

> Good morning John, Mark,
Eric and Francisco and thank you for

your replies,

Based on what you wrote, I suspect a short and a dead
> compressor…
>
> Going to test the Capacitors, but how to
“discharge them” prior
> to testing?

> Eric, I did not
really understand the: “if the AC switch is off
> at the thermostat does it still trip the
breaker?”

Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre

> On Mon, 6/26/17, kimberlite@...
[amelyachtowners]

amelyachtowners@...
> Date:
Monday, June 26, 2017, 9:24 PM

> Alexandre.
> if the AC switch is off at the thermostat
does it still
> trip the breaker?
> The breaker on the AC panel side is a
quick blow
> circuit breaker, If there is
a short it will
> trip before the
diruptor. If the AC is on at the

thermostat and the circuit still trips the breaker,
> Check the continuity of the compressor to
ground. If
> there is a short to ground
the compressor is dead.
> Fair Winds,
> Eric
> sm 376
>
> ----- Original
> Message -----
> From:
"Alexandre

amelyachtowners@...

> > Good afternoon,
>

> > Today, I hear the
> fuse of the 220 Volt Panel tripping (the
one
> > behind the panel).
> found out the
fuse of the marina also trip.

> > After running tests,
> the cause is the Aft Cabin Air
Conditioning
> > (which I have been
using non stop for 9
> days).
> >
> > Running
> the salon does not trip anything.
> >
> > What could
be the cause?
> > How to diagnostic
and solve the issue?

> > Did I use too much
> the air conditioning?
>
> How come the
> Diruptor did not
trip, but the 220 Volt Panel did?

How come I trip the marina fuse?

> > Thanks in advance.
>

> > Sincerely,

Alexandre
> > SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
> > Port de Gustavia, Saint
Barthélémy,
> FWI

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Alex,

Have you looked at the Compact unit? Is it full of water with a clogged drain?

Bill

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

> Good morning John, Mark,
Eric and Francisco and thank you for

your replies,

Based on what you wrote, I suspect a short and a dead
> compressor…
>
> Going to test the Capacitors, but how to
“discharge them” prior
> to testing?

> Eric, I did not
really understand the: “if the AC switch is off
> at the thermostat does it still trip the
breaker?”

Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre

> On Mon, 6/26/17, kimberlite@...
[amelyachtowners]
> wrote:
>
> Subject: Re:
[Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Cabin Air Conditioning
> Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse &
marina
> To:
amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

> Date:
Monday, June 26, 2017, 9:24 PM

> Alexandre.
> if the AC switch is off at the thermostat
does it still
> trip the breaker?
> The breaker on the AC panel side is a
quick blow
> circuit breaker, If there is
a short it will
> trip before the
diruptor. If the AC is on at the

thermostat and the circuit still trips the breaker,
> Check the continuity of the compressor to
ground. If
> there is a short to ground
the compressor is dead.
> Fair Winds,
> Eric
> sm 376
>
> ----- Original
> Message -----
> From:
"Alexandre
> Uster von

Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]"
> Date: Monday, June 26, 2017 5:19 pm
> Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Cabin
Air
> Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt
Panel Fuse & marina
> To:
amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

> > Good afternoon,
>

> > Today, I hear the
> fuse of the 220 Volt Panel tripping (the
one
> > behind the panel).
> found out the
fuse of the marina also trip.

> > After running tests,
> the cause is the Aft Cabin Air
Conditioning
> > (which I have been
using non stop for 9
> days).
> >
> > Running
> the salon does not trip anything.
> >
> > What could
be the cause?
> > How to diagnostic
and solve the issue?

> > Did I use too much
> the air conditioning?
>
> How come the
> Diruptor did not
trip, but the 220 Volt Panel did?

How come I trip the marina fuse?

> > Thanks in advance.
>

> > Sincerely,

Alexandre
> > SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
> > Port de Gustavia, Saint
Barthélémy,
> FWI

eric freedman

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Hello Bill,
No water in the tray, it has been going normally into the aft bathroom.

To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>

Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse & marina

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com

> Good morning John, Mark,

Eric and Francisco and thank you for

your replies,

Based on what you wrote, I suspect a short and a dead

> compressor…

> Going to test the Capacitors, but how to

“discharge them” prior

> to testing?

> Eric, I did not

really understand the: “if the AC switch is off

> at the thermostat does it still trip the

breaker?”

Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre

------------------------------ --------------

> On Mon, 6/26/17, kimberlite@...

[amelyachtowners]

> wrote:

> Subject: Re:

[Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Cabin Air Conditioning

> Tripping 220 Volt Panel Fuse &

marina

amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com

Monday, June 26, 2017, 9:24 PM

> Alexandre.

> if the AC switch is off at the thermostat

does it still

> trip the breaker?

> The breaker on the AC panel side is a

quick blow

> circuit breaker, If there is

a short it will

> trip before the

diruptor. If the AC is on at the

thermostat and the circuit still trips the breaker,

> Check the continuity of the compressor to

ground. If

> there is a short to ground

the compressor is dead.

> Fair Winds,

> Eric

> sm 376

> ----- Original

> Message -----

"Alexandre

> Uster von

Baar uster@... [
amelyachtowners]"

> Date: Monday, June 26, 2017 5:19 pm

> Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Aft Cabin

Air

> Conditioning Tripping 220 Volt

Panel Fuse & marina

amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com

> > Good afternoon,

> > Today, I hear the

> fuse of the 220 Volt Panel tripping (the

one

> > behind the panel).

> found out the

fuse of the marina also trip.

> > After running tests,

> the cause is the Aft Cabin Air

Conditioning

> > (which I have been

using non stop for 9

> days).

> > Running

> the salon does not trip anything.

> > What could

be the cause?

> > How to diagnostic

and solve the issue?

> > Did I use too much

> the air conditioning?

> How come the

> Diruptor did not

trip, but the 220 Volt Panel did?

How come I trip the marina fuse?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Sincerely,

Alexandre

> > SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

> > Port de Gustavia, Saint

Barthélémy,

> FWI

eric freedman

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

I think Eric is right and I think that the first thing I would do is replace the two capacitors I mentioned earlier.

Best,

Bill Rouse

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 11:30 AM, kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Alexandre,
with the switch In neutral position the AC unit is off. I would suspect a short in the wiring somewhere. it could be anywhere.
Good luck,
Eric