Water pump for Climma A/C

steve_morrison@...

Hi all.  We moved on to SM #380 this week in Brunswick, GA and have been running the A/C a good bit very the past two days when I noticed early this morning that it had shut down. Initially I noticed the breaker behind the 220 panel had tripped, but after a reset, I switched on the salon AC and didn't hear the pump kick in and opened the engine room hatch to see the water Climma water pump smoking. As I am in the US and fairly stationary for the next month or so I am considering replacing the pump with a new unit rather than trying to troubleshoot and repair what I imagine is original and therefor nearly 15 years old. What are my options for a replacement pump and what must I consider?  Thank you all.

Steve Morrison

Sm 380 TouRai

Brunswick, GA

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Steve:  Where on the pump was the smoke coming from.  Most likely it was the capacitor in the electrical box on the top of the pump (at least if it is a blue Calpeda pump).  Easily replaced for $15.  Anything more than that and a new pump might be in order.  March pumps have been used but one sized for that spot (as it services all three ACs is over $500 in a 220 VAC 50/60 hertz magnetic impeller variety.  I don't recall the gph (gallons per hour) rating of the Calpeda pump put I know it is listed on this website somewhere.  Try to match that if the easy and cheap start/run capacitor replacement doesn't work.

Gary Silver   SM #335   s/v Liahona   Puerto Rico

steve_morrison@...

Thank you Gary.  The smoke was indeed coming from the top of the motor around the capacitor cover.  I ordered the new March Pump that Mark linked to on Ebay to arrive Friday, but will also trace down a new capacitor and see if I can't get the original pump functioning properly before I replace it and put it aside as a back up.

All the best,
Steve Morrison
SM 380 TouRai
Brunswick, GA