Topics

Volvo D2-75 for a SuperMaramu

Hi All,

I am sorry to say that we have had a poor experience with TPS, the Volvo agents in Hyeres. Suffice it say that last winter they made a meal out a major service on our 17 year old TMD22P, and 150 hours later we still lack confidence in an engine which didn't miss a beat before they attended to it.

 I am 70  ( Judy remains 21 ) and God willing  can   look forward to another ten years or so of gentle cruising, but I am too busy now to have an unreliable engine.

So, ridiculous expense though it may sound, we are  thinking of swapping our old engine for a new one. Volvo have recommended the D2-75, 75 hp, no electrics beyond the starter motor ( a huge plus in my book )

Its feet and drive connection are said to be a good fit for the old engine.

The alternative would be the D3-110, but we have never been short of power with the TMD22P, which although 78hp is governed down to 60 hp by Amel. Also, I like the extra range that the smaller engine would give.

Has anyone had experience of a D2-75 in an SM ?

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece

greatketch@...

Ian and Judy,

I have no personal experience with the D2-75, but it does look like a good match for the SM.

I like the all mechanical operation.

I like the low end torque.  I find this to be the biggest issue with my TMD22.  Sometimes when bucking into a strong headwind, I have a choice between "too slow" or "too fast", and response to short busts of throttle when in close quarters is less than I am used to.

I like that it seems to be a good fit in the existing engine footprint.

I like that it is naturally aspirated.

If you do decide to go with that engine, I hope you'll post about your experiences.  It would be valuable to those of us with aging powerplants who are considering repowering.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard.