Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Bow thruster issues

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Ben,

Was the bow thruster pinned in the UP position for the passage?

If it were me, I would go to Amel in le Marin for them to adjust. You may have burned up the actuator motor that lifts and lowers.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 7:54 AM, joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

After a particularly rough passage from Virgin Gorda to Sint Maarten, I noticed a good deal of water under floorboard outside forward head.  I know from  this forum that it was from thruster.  Thruster had been removed and serviced last October while on the hard and leaked not one drop.  In any event I used my Amel in the water tool to remove unit for inspection.  I found that both external foam gaskets were in place and not deformed as was inside gasket.  And shaft seal was firmly in place.  I re-installed  unit and proceeded to Le Marin - where I'm now berthed.  Again more water but now I think I know why.

Apparently the clamp that holds sensor labeled "H" -which I believe controls upward stop position - broke.  (Sensor is hanging free by its connection). This cased thruster to move way too far up and then not far enough down which eventually mal adjust ed the rigging.  After using then thruster when  I arrived into Le marin the unit came up and stuck in the up position. It will now not move up or down.  Top cable is extremely tight pulling thruster to a point above safety pin hole so pin cannot be inserted.  Lower downward pull cable is extremely loose.  All this indicates rigging much out of alignment.  When I switch on the unit all three sensors - H, B, and SP - light up when switches are flipped but no movement.

My question --- Is there a breaker or fuse on the up/down jack motor?  My control box and sensors have power but I cannot get motor movement down.  I need to get unit down some before I can proceed with rigging adjustment.

I can of course go to Amel here in Le Marin. But I would like to better understand the thruster.

Ben

Ben and Gayle

La Bella Vita

SM2 #347

Le Marin

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Ben,

On my SM2K, and I am pretty sure on yours too, there is a fuse, it is in the little black box, pictures will help you:
http://nikimat.com/bow_thruster_sensor.html

I hope this will solve your problem.
Remember (that in the event the sensors are not working) you can always control the up and down of the bow thruster from the forward cabin.
In short, switch off (like if you were sailing) the bow thruster (using the switch where you put the pin in).
Go to the cockpit and pick either up or down (depending on what you want).
Then go back to the cockpit and put everything in neutral.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Port de Gustavia, Saint Barthélémy, FWI

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow thruster issues
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Thursday, June 29, 2017, 7:54 AM

[...]

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

It was pinned on initial passage to Sint Maarten and then to Le Marin.  But now pin will not go in because shaft is too far up.  I pulled pin to use at Le Marin but did not notice rigging issues or dangling sensor.  Using it  with inoperable sensor and rigging out of alignment allowed unit to jam - I think.

Ben

Ben Driver
S/V La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Jun 29, 2017, at 9:02 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Alex
Ben

Ben and Gayle
S/V La Bella Vita
SM #347

To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Thursday, June 29, 2017, 7:54 AM

[...]

OK, since you are in le Marin, you should see Amel.

Bill Rouse

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 7:54 AM, joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Totally agree with Bill,
I had someone working on the sensors when I was in Florida, this was a "guessing game".
Same for the rigging, Amel know what they are doing.
Just change the fuse then see if it moves, but let Amel do the work.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow thruster issues
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>

Sent from my
iPad
com> wrote:

Ben,
Was the bow thruster pinned in the
UP position for the passage?
If it were me, I would go to Amel in
le Marin for them to adjust. You may have burned up the
actuator motor that lifts and lowers.
Best,

CW
Bill RouseAdmiral, Texas
NavyCommander
EmeritusAmel School www.amelschool.com720 Winnie StGalveston Island, TX
77550+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at
7:54 AM, @JoeDoakes
com> wrote:

[...]

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795 --
#yiv2367631795ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-mkp #yiv2367631795hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-mkp #yiv2367631795ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-mkp .yiv2367631795ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-mkp .yiv2367631795ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-mkp .yiv2367631795ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-sponsor
#yiv2367631795ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-sponsor
#yiv2367631795ygrp-lc #yiv2367631795hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-sponsor
#yiv2367631795ygrp-lc .yiv2367631795ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795activity span
.yiv2367631795underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv2367631795 .yiv2367631795attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv2367631795 .yiv2367631795attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2367631795 .yiv2367631795attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv2367631795 .yiv2367631795attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv2367631795 .yiv2367631795attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2367631795 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv2367631795 .yiv2367631795bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2367631795 .yiv2367631795bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2367631795 dd.yiv2367631795last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2367631795 dd.yiv2367631795last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2367631795 dd.yiv2367631795last p
span.yiv2367631795yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv2367631795 div.yiv2367631795attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2367631795 div.yiv2367631795attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv2367631795 div.yiv2367631795file-title a, #yiv2367631795
div.yiv2367631795file-title a:active, #yiv2367631795
div.yiv2367631795file-title a:hover, #yiv2367631795
div.yiv2367631795file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2367631795 div.yiv2367631795photo-title a,
#yiv2367631795 div.yiv2367631795photo-title a:active,
#yiv2367631795 div.yiv2367631795photo-title a:hover,
#yiv2367631795 div.yiv2367631795photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2367631795 div#yiv2367631795ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv2367631795ygrp-msg p a span.yiv2367631795yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv2367631795 .yiv2367631795green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv2367631795 .yiv2367631795MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv2367631795 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv2367631795 .yiv2367631795replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv2367631795 input, #yiv2367631795 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv2367631795
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-mlmsg #yiv2367631795logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-msg
p#yiv2367631795attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-reco
#yiv2367631795reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-sponsor #yiv2367631795ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-sponsor #yiv2367631795ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-sponsor #yiv2367631795ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv2367631795 #yiv2367631795ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv2367631795

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

I plan to see them today.  I'm hoping they have a better eye for this rigging than I.  And there are many SM's here to use as a reference.

Ben

Ben and Gayle
S/V La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Jun 29, 2017, at 9:43 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

I will do just that fuse and let them adjust.  I was lucky to have it work when I pulled in with 20 knot winds

Ben Driver
S/V La Bella Vita
SM #347

To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>