[Amel Yacht Owners] Roller Furling Questions

Stephen Davis

Hey Mark,

I'm assuming you are referring to the rivet holes which hold the aluminum extrusion in place. You should have a total of 8 rivets around it. I can't tell from the pictures if the rivets are in the holes...are they? It is normal for them to be covered with silicone.

Steve
Aloha SM72
Aruba for the summer

On Jul 2, 2017, at 14:54, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Could someone look at the attached picture and tell me if something is suppose to go in these holes (I circled them in the photo)?

Currently the foil rotates independently from the drum drive thingamajig (the grey wheel attached to the motor), I have four holes that have been filled with silicone. The foil only rotates when the sail is on and is attached to both the foil and the drum. Should the foil be attached to the drum with something in these holes? If so, how?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Guadalupe

www.creampuff.us

Mark Erdos

Steve,

Thanks you. I suspected it there should be rivets. I have eight holes (four on each side). The holes are in the drum and the foil. They look like they align. There is nothing in these holes other than silicone. I can lift the foil up above the drum and there is no evidence of any connector ever being there. This has been the way since we purchased the boat and only now are we having issues to warrant a close inspection of the set up.

Does anyone know the size of the rivets I should use???? I am assuming pop rivets?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

[...]

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Mark,

The first time I saw anything like that was this week on a Super Maramu with a hull number in the 50s. One of my Amel School clients was considering this SM and I was reviewing photos that he took including IMG_0589.JPG, attached. Another photo of this SM appeared that the "rigger" replaced the standing rigging with undersized wire and undersized turnbuckles. I suspect that the "rigger" popped the rivets to install new rigging wire inside that foil.

Your Amel originally had rivets and I bet you lost them when it was re-rigged. The later model SMs had stainless steel allen head bolts, like BeBe. See the attached BeBe #387 Furler.JPG...this was after I had it repainted in Trinidad.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
720 Winnie Street
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

Mark Erdos

I have since found a picture in the Amel Manual that clearly shows there should be rivets in these holes.

Does anyone have any advice as to the type of pop rivets? I have aboard an assortment of standard aluminum pop rivets. I am assuming these will work so long as they snugly fit into the holes.

[...]

Unfortunately, I'm not back to the boat for another week, but I do have spare rivets and the specs on the boat. I'm fairly certain you can find the rivet size on one of the forum threads. I had to drill mine out when I rebuilt my furler, and then put new ones in. They are fairly large aluminum rivets, and you will need a big rivet gun with lots of leverage to get them in. According to Olivier, they are aluminum, and intended to shear under an extreme load instead of damaging the gearbox. Keep spares, as they do occasionally shear. I bought a whole box from fastenal.

Steve

[...]

Craig Briggs

Hi Mark,
You'll have to measure the hole diameter yourself because they may have been enlarged when they were drilled out. And, since you can lift the extrusion out of the socket you can also measure the thickness (rivet length) you'll need. You may find one or more holes a bit larger than others, depending on how carefully they were drilled out.  If so enlarge all the holes so you can deal with only one diameter rivet. This it not a fabrication requiring extreme precision - witness the several versions other posters have mentioned from monel rivets, to ss allen bolts, etc.- although I'd recommend Al rivets like the original.
Good luck with it - a fun project!
Craig, SN#68 Sangaris; Abacos, Bahamas

---In amelyachtowners@..., <mcerdos@...> wrote :

Steve,

Thanks you. I suspected it there should be rivets. I have eight holes (four on each side). The holes are in the drum and the foil. They look like they align. There is nothing in these holes other than silicone. I can lift the foil up above the drum and there is no evidence of any connector ever being there. This has been the way since we purchased the boat and only now are we having issues to warrant a close inspection of the set up.

Does anyone know the size of the rivets I should use???? I am assuming pop rivets?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

John Clark

Hi All,
  I thought I read on the forum that Amel (in Martinique) was replacing the rivets with bolts as they serviced furlers?

My furler assembly is an earlier version but with similar foil attachment and Amel replaced the rivets with stainless Allen head bolts.  I visited a Super Maramu last year which also had the stainless bolt modification.  There are pictures and a discussion here on the forum under the heading:

"Jib furling Rivets - Bolts"

                Regards,  John

John Clark
SV Annie  SM 37
Charleston, SC

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

When I re-rigged Liahona I replaced the aluminum blind rivets that Amel had installed originally with 1/4 th inch diameter aluminum "pop" (aka blind rivets).   I had followed the discussion on the forum about having the rivets being sacrificial so that they would shear in overload rather than fracture the pulley/gear or tear out the bottom of the foil.  I still think that idea has merit even though it makes re-rigging more difficult (i.e. drilling out the blind rivets.

The forum indicated that the rivets be 3/4 in long so I bought the minimal number of 1/4 inch diameter 3/4 inch long aluminum rivets from RivetsOnline.com  (100 for $18.00).  The rivet tool for that size rivet was $70 from the same source.  I found that the 3/4 inch (25.4mm) length rivets were too long to set properly in my foil/furling pulley/gear application so I removed the rivet from the pull-stem, trimmed them to 19.5 mm long, re-placed the rivet on the pull stem and pulled them with my new tool.  This resulted in a nicely flush head in the recess in the furling pulley/gear.   I applied Dow 737 RTV to the foil as I seated it in the pulley gear and also sealed all the rivets with the same as well as making sure I sealed the tracks within the foil where they seated in the pulley/gear.  The idea is to make this join impervious to salt water and salt accretions.  The Down 737 RTV is the best to use on aluminum as it does not have acetic acid (corrosive to aluminum) in it like most common RTVs and is approved for use on aluminum aircraft structures.

All the best,

Gary S. Silver  A & P (FAA certified airframe and powerplant mechanic)
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
Puerto Del Rey  Puerto Rico

Anybody needs some of these rivets, I can supply some for the cost of postage.