[Amel Yacht Owners] Lofrans Tigres windlass turns itself on

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Solinoids inside the Lofranz control box are sticking. Replace the box.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Jul 5, 2017 07:53, "sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We had the windlass energized one day when we were doing some other maintenance, and the windlass turned itself on!  At that moment we were taking a break below deck so there is no way we inadvertently turned it on.  It came on in the "up-chain" mode.  We left it on and two days later it did it again in the middle of the night.

It seems the most reasonable explanation is the "Up" button.  The switch externally is not corroded, but the rubber cover is torn so it could have gotten moisture inside it to bridge the switch.  I checked it with a multi-meter and it has a very fluky read, sometimes 5kohms button off and 23kohms button on, and sometimes "0.L" in both positions.  That would make some sense if the button was internally corroded, but in neither case was there good continuity with the button off (it had to be in that position for the winch to come on...right?)

Internally all the windlass connections have grease on them (one assumes non-conductive) and appear in great condition (no corrosion).  The down button had been replaced by Steve Leeds in early 2015.

Is there anything else that I should be checking?

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477

Duane Siegfri

Bill,

Would a sticking solenoid cause it to activate when nobody has used it recently?  The second time was in the middle of the night, so high cabin temperature would be unlikely.

Do you know if the box is sealed?  If I can open it up maybe it's repairable?

On the other hand, I probably should replace it from an abundance of caution.

Thanks,
Duane

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Duane,

You can open it...4 screws.

I attached a page from my book for Amel School.

If you checked and eliminated switches, it is the control box.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

Patrick McAneny

We were anchored next to a boat in Martinique ( fortunately on the far leeward end of the anchorage ). While ashore his windlass came alive and hauled all his chain and anchor aboard . The wind pushed the boat aground , no damage , fellow sailors pulled the boat back out and re anchored it. I guess there is a lesson to be learned , it can happen .
Pat
SM #123

Would a sticking solenoid cause it to activate when nobody has used it recently?  The second time was in the middle of the night, so high cabin temperature would be unlikely.

Do you know if the box is sealed?  If I can open it up maybe it's repairable?

On the other hand, I probably should replace it from an abundance of caution.

Thanks,
Duane

greatketch@...

Duane,

Unless the control box has gotten wet inside (which given its location is very unlikely) I can not imagine a realistic scenario that would cause its relays to change state without power being applied to the coils. Granted, I am not always as imaginative as I should be!

If you described a case where the windlass would not shut off after running, the control box is one of the first places I would look, but you said the windlass started up on its own hours (at least) after being used.  That's not a symptom of a "sticking" relay.

Bill Kinney
SM160,  Harmonie
Boston, Mass

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi all, surely you have all heard of the horror story about a sheet winch on a 54 continuing to run after the operator released it. Being used to haul the male partner up the mast. The female partner and winch operator was severely injured as was a next door helper.

Subsequent to that Joel posted how he witnessed a sheet winch on a 54 self start. Caused, I am told by a fault in the push switch. Amel have moved to Haarken as a result of a messy legal issue.

So these things. can happen. I have heard of a boat that had a halyard left on an electric winch. It was tied off to the pulpit. It self started in the owners absence and did major damage to the pulpit.

So folks, it happens, so we need to be aware and take precautions. Dont leave sheets or halyards loaded on live winches and turn off power to the windlass before leaving he boat.

I don't believe it is a brand issue, it is electrical contacts in a challenging marine enviroment

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 06 July 2017 at 12:47 "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Duane,

Unless the control box has gotten wet inside (which given its location is very unlikely) I can not imagine a realistic scenario that would cause its relays to change state without power being applied to the coils. Granted, I am not always as imaginative as I should be!

If you described a case where the windlass would not shut off after running, the control box is one of the first places I would look, but you said the windlass started up on its own hours (at least) after being used.  That's not a symptom of a "sticking" relay.

Bill Kinney
SM160,  Harmonie
Boston, Mass

greatketch@...

Something I haven't seen mentioned here before, is that the switches for the winches are specified by Lewmar as having only a 3 to 5 year life span before they need to be replaced.  I am sure that is conservative, but remember they are not forever!

Once that rubber cover starts to get dull and "grainy" from sun exposure it's time to swap them out--before it fails.  Its an easy job, and prevents dangerous problems.

I remember seeing a photo in a SM sales listing with one of the winch switches having an obvious hole in the rubber cover.  That gave me a very good idea of the attention to maintenance on that boat!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Boston, Mass

christian alby <calbyy@...>

I met the same problem of the rubber cover on the switch being 'cooked' by sun & water, & made a windlass cover to keep protected.
makes a difference to extend life of rubber parts.

christian alby - Désirade VIII maramu 1982 now in Canet en Roussillon