From: "SV Garulfo svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: 7/7/17 9:57 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel54 ONAN Generator MDKBN Fuel Pump 149 2646

Thanks all for extensive responses.
As for some of you, this must be the result of a prior mechanics work.
We will bear in mind your recommendations when we do our first intervention.

Best wishes,

On 5 July 2017 at 18:29, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks for the plug, Porter.

Every Amel owner should do their very best to contain saltwater when opening anything with saltwater. A combination of towels and suction will keep your Amel engine room looking new. And, it is no more trouble to do things the BEST way.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Jul 5, 2017 09:35, "Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
Mine is extremely rusty.  Purchased that way: likely prior mechanic did not use the Bill Rouse wet/dry vac/ surgical suction method for total NaCl containment.
Applied Corosion X, now unchanged and have a spare in the parts list.

Works fine however is a cosmetic issue at present.

Porter McRoberts
S/V Ibis: Amel 54-#152
Ft. Lauderdale
www.fouribis.com
portermcroberts@...

On Jul 5, 2017, at 10:12 AM, 'Mohammad Shirloo' mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

Hello Thomas;

As stated by others, the fuel pump should look clean, painted finish. The salt water from the raw water impeller will drip/pour over the fuel pump if preventative steps are not taken. If you do not see an active leak or evidence thereof, this would most likely explain the issue. We had the same issue when we purchased ours due to previous “mechanic’s” work. I have carefully cleaned it as best as possible and applied corrosionX to try to control the rust. (A coat of rust preventer, primer and paint may not be a bad idea).

I have also purchased a spare fuel pump, just in case.

Respectfully;

Mohammad & Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

--

GARULFO

Amel 54 #122

Cap d'Agde, France

AAE.png>

--
GARULFO
Amel 54 #122

Mark Erdos

Courtney,

As you unfurl the sail, unfurl it to a point where it gets stuck but do not pull it tight. Snug the outhaul but not very tight. Secure the boom. Work the in mast furling motor back and forth a few times but not too much at once – perhaps a full turn or a couple of turns each direction. Keeping a little tension on the outhaul the whole time. The main sail should slowly start to become unsnagged as you work the in-mast furling back and forth. It takes a little finesse to work it back and forth. As the sail comes out keep the outhaul snug. Usually the snags will give as the sail is going into the mast.

Important: Do not over strain the motors. Do not try to force the sail with the motor. If the motor starts to strain, STOP and go the other direction.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Guadeloupe - Îles des Saintes

www.creampuff.us

We have noticed our ONAN generator fuel pump is looking quite rusty.

Is it meant to deteriorate this way over time?

if not, do you know what might be the cause?

Photos here.

Thanks for your advice,

Thomas & Soraya
--

GARULFO

Amel 54 #122

Cap d'Agde, France

--

GARULFO

Amel 54 #122

Cap d'Agde, France

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Greetings Courtney,

I’ve had nothing but in mast furling boats and I’ve learned the following tricks:

- HEAD into wind!!!
- If your sail is in good condition, there should be no reason to get a jam.
- Ensure your boom is horizontal. if you have a vang, release the tension.
- Keep tension (light) on your outhaul as you furl in.

In your case, I suspect the boom was not horizontal… if this is the case, you might have a “bunch up” about mid mast.  Go up the mast and have an other CM furl in or out as you inspect the offender.  Gently does it … it will fix it self when you are patient.

Good luck

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007, Curacao on the hard.

[...]

Courtney Gorman

sorry, Sail is furled in and I cannot get it out.  it is all the way in was unsure if I should just pull on it or if there is some better way.
Courtney
Amel 54, Trippin'
Brunswick

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Hi all,
After our first sail we have a stuck main sail not enough tension while furling.  Question is how do I solve the problem?
Thanks
Courtney
Amel 54 Trippin'
Brunswick

Stephen Morrison <steve_morrison@...>

Hello Courtney,

Welcome to Brunswick. What dock are you on?  There are 3 Super Maramu here. Duane and Peggy are on dock 9 with Wanderer, I am on dock 10 with my wife Kjersten and two daughters Tougy and Nurai on TouRai, and Paul and Tanya and their daughter Samantha are on dock 14 with Trillium.

All the best,
Steve Morrison
SM 380 TouRai
Brunswick, GA

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Hi all,
After our first sail we have a stuck main sail not enough tension while furling.  Question is how do I solve the problem?
Thanks
Courtney
Amel 54 Trippin'
Brunswick

Courtney Gorman

Bill
1. Sails were luffing, I had used the sail to get off a sandbar and rushed taking it in.
2. Was 80% until I tired to unfurl and now 100% (another bad)
3. They attempt to move but no movement I didn't push it as I did not want to make a bad situation worse.
Thanks
Courtney
Amel 54, Trippin
Brunswick

We have noticed our ONAN generator fuel pump is looking quite rusty.

Is it meant to deteriorate this way over time?

if not, do you know what might be the cause?

Photos here.

Thanks for your advice,

Thomas & Soraya
--

GARULFO

Amel 54 #122

Cap d'Agde, France

<EAD676B092884B628C15FC404DEA9AAE.png>

--
GARULFO
Amel 54 #122
Cap d'Agde, France

Posted by: "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...>

With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest

Courtney Gorman

Thanks Mark
Courtney

We have noticed our ONAN generator fuel pump is looking quite rusty.

Is it meant to deteriorate this way over time?

if not, do you know what might be the cause?

Photos here.

Thanks for your advice,

Thomas & Soraya
--

GARULFO

Amel 54 #122

Cap d'Agde, France

<EAD676B092884B628C15FC404DEA9AAE.png>

--

GARULFO

Amel 54 #122

Cap d'Agde, France

Posted by: "Mark Erdos" <mcerdos@...>

Courtney Gorman

Thanks Jeff
Courtney

We have noticed our ONAN generator fuel pump is looking quite rusty.

Is it meant to deteriorate this way over time?

if not, do you know what might be the cause?

Photos here.

Thanks for your advice,

Thomas & Soraya
--

GARULFO

Amel 54 #122

Cap d'Agde, France

<EAD676B092884B628C15FC404DEA9AAE.png>

--
GARULFO
Amel 54 #122
Cap d'Agde, France

Posted by: Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Stephen Morrison <steve_morrison@...>

Having just gone down to find you on dock 12, it appeared from the dock that the mast foil was under a fair bit of tension and pulled aft jamming the slot. You may want to roll the mast furling motor out a tap and perhaps then back in some to see if you can get a good wrap on the foil without too much tension. I am on dock 10 if you get back to the boat and want extra hands and eyes.

All the best,
Steve Morrison
SM380 TouRai
Brunswick, GA

On Jul 7, 2017, at 2:22 PM, itsfun1 Itsfun1@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Jeff
Courtney

We have noticed our ONAN generator fuel pump is looking quite rusty.

Is it meant to deteriorate this way over time?

if not, do you know what might be the cause?

Photos here.

Thanks for your advice,

Thomas & Soraya
--

GARULFO

Amel 54 #122

Cap d'Agde, France

AAE.png>

--
GARULFO
Amel 54 #122
Cap d'Agde, France

Posted by: Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Courtney Gorman

Thanks Steve and every one else.  With a little tension and some in and out all is now well with my Main........sail.
Thanks
Courtney
Amel 54, Trippin
Brunswick
PS Steve sorry I wasn't around to offer you a drink we were Visiting my mom
Cheers

We have noticed our ONAN generator fuel pump is looking quite rusty.

Is it meant to deteriorate this way over time?

if not, do you know what might be the cause?

Photos here.

Thanks for your advice,

Thomas & Soraya
--

GARULFO

Amel 54 #122

Cap d'Agde, France

<EAD676B092884B628C15FC404DEA9AAE.png>

--
GARULFO
Amel 54 #122
Cap d'Agde, France

Courtney Gorman

Steve,
My wife Cindy and I are on Dock 12 we will be around tomorrow some of the time. Please stop by if you like.  We are gone on sunday but I will be back the following week.
Cheers

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Hi all,
After our first sail we have a stuck main sail not enough tension while furling.  Question is how do I solve the problem?
Thanks
Courtney
Amel 54 Trippin'
Brunswick

webercardio <webercardio@...>

I had this problem 2 years ago - bearings in the furler GEARBOX mounted over the motor were rusty and blocked the gear/motor. I secured the sail and removed the gearbox. Replaced the open bearings with a closed SKF bearing.  Pictures are posted 2 years ago.

 Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54 #162

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Courtney,

I still don't have enough information to give you a definite answer, so here goes my best guess.

The sail has "backlashed" or in other words wound backwards over itself. It is going to take a someone keeping a very close eye on the leech where it goes into the slot in the mast to direct a crew member to furl and unfurl until you get the backlash out. While performing this it is difficult for me to tell you when to have pressure on the clew (outhaul tension) because it depends on how the sail is backlashed. The number one thing that you need to have is patience and do this one inch at a time, moving the furling motor to furl and unfurl while pulling at the appropriate time on the clew (outhaul). If you like, give me a call at the number below. I am assuming that the sails are original and has battens. The battens will make this job much more difficult. If you run out of patience, seek the help of a sail loft.

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 1:19 PM, itsfun1 Itsfun1@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

Hi Courtney,
What Bill describes happened to us. It was totally my fault for very improperly  furling the sail - in high winds with no outhaul.  We were unable to get it out of the mast with in-out motion of outhaul.  It was tightly backlashed.  However, we were successfully in getting it out.

I went up the mast (in a bosun's chair with safety line) where I could see top portion of sail bunched and pulled it out by hand while Gayle operated the outhaul.  You need start at top where it is easier to pull out and slowly work downward.   I think you'll find clearing it from top down is only way. It was impossible for me to pull bottom of sail out.  Little by little you'll work your way to bottom and free sail.  Once we stared this method, it took us about 45 minutes.   It was more pulling by hand than outhaul.  And many times rolling in and then out.

Good luck and patience
Ben

Ben and Gayle
S/V La Bella Vita
SM #347

[...]

Bill thank you very much that is exactly what I did yesterday I'm sorry I did not respond to the group and let you know that the issue was taken care of it was just patients a little bit of tension and in and out and now all is well.
I truly appreciate the generosity and intelligence of this group to help me through these first days as an owner you are all so accommodating and generous thanks to you all.
Courtney
Amel 54
Trippin'
Brunswick

We have noticed our ONAN generator fuel pump is looking quite rusty.

Is it meant to deteriorate this way over time?

if not, do you know what might be the cause?

Photos here.

Thanks for your advice,

Thomas & Soraya
--

GARULFO

Amel 54 #122

Cap d'Agde, France

<EAD676B092884B628C15FC404DEA9AAE.png>

Courtney Gorman

Ben
 thank you I was lucky that the wind was not heavy.  I had used the sail in light winds to get off of a small sandbar and furled it too rapidly because I was nervous and in a hurry, but all is well thank you all for your help.
Courtney

We have noticed our ONAN generator fuel pump is looking quite rusty.

Is it meant to deteriorate this way over time?

if not, do you know what might be the cause?

Photos here.

Courtney Gorman

Mark
I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly thank you so much!!
Courtney

We have noticed our ONAN generator fuel pump is looking quite rusty.

Is it meant to deteriorate this way over time?

if not, do you know what might be the cause?

Photos here.

Thanks for your advice,

Thomas & Soraya
--

GARULFO

Amel 54 #122

Cap d'Agde, France

<EAD676B092884B628C15FC404DEA9AAE.png>

--

GARULFO

Amel 54 #122

Cap d'Agde, France

Posted by: "Mark Erdos" <mcerdos@...>

Mark Erdos

Courtney,

No worries. A rookie mistake. I did the same when we first purchased Cream Puff.

The main thing to remember when furling the main is to head into wind, have the boom level and try to keep a little tension on the outhaul as the sail furls in. The jib is a little easier as you can control the stress on the sail by sheeting out and luff the sail to furl it.

Glad you have it straightened out.

[...]

Reply to sender

Reply to group