[Amel Yacht Owners] re: using a 110v power-strip on 230v boat - Positive Included this time

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi porter;

We purchased a few universal outlet strips that you can plug US, Europe and British style plugs. It is designed for 220 Volts. We do not carry anything in the boat that is not 220 V 50 Hz compatible. They all have surge protectors.

It really makes life simple and takes out the guess work.

Bill; we have (2) 7 outlet USB chargers plugged in at the Nav station permanent  inverter so we can all plug in any device to charge at all times. With 14 USB charging plugs available, we have not run into a shortage yet.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

On Jul 20, 2017, at 9:48 PM, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'll likely get the eBay one as well.

We're out in the abacos on a shakedown
It's great!!
Helen and the girls liking things a lot.

have developed a few issues however.

I'll ask you opinion in a bit

Many thanks Bill

Porter

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Jul 20, 2017, at 11:44 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Porter,

A long answer for a short question:

I really like the power strip that I bought in Martinique at the computer shop at du Marin. It had 6 220VAC EU (French) receptacles and it had 2 USB receptacles for charging USB connected devices...at times I could have used more USB charging ports.

Of course, you must remember that when it is plugged into 220VAC, it delivers 220VAC to the 6 AC receptacles...and I would NOT plug it into 110VAC.

I am not entirely sure how the internal circuit and transformer for the USB receptacles works with USA 220VAC 60htz, but when I was in Trinidad, I used this device for 4 months and the USB Voltage measured at 5.2VDC, which is within 5% of 5VDC and should be fine..

I like this one from Amazon, but I am not 100% sure that it will work with 220VAC 50htz. I like it so much, that I would be willing to try it: https://www.amazon.com/Protector-3-Outlet-Charging-Station-Childproof/dp/B0719FWCFP/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1500562970&sr=1-5&keywords=power+strip+for+europe

The above from Amazon has a USA 110VAC plug. Nowhere does it state it will take EU current, but I found possibly the same device here at Ebay France: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Power-Strips-with-USB-ports-3-Way-Outlets-6-USB-Ports-Surge-Protection-Power-Str-/222585602171?hash=item33d322c07b:g:6yMAAOSw-wFZbe07

I believe that it is the same device, but with a either a UK or EU 220VAC plug and UK receptacles which I believe will will take a EU two prong plug without a UK to EU adapter...I can't be sure. The specs state:110-250V, Max Output: 2500W 10A , USB Output: 5V 3.4A Frequency: 50/60Hz

If it were me (no liability accepted), I think I would order the one above from Amazon US and use an US to EU adapter to plug it into a 220VAC 50htz French style outlet that you have on your boat. You might also take an old USB wire, cut it, strip it and check the voltage between the black and red wires when plugged into one of the 6 USB ports on the power strip. USB charging should be between 5-5.6VDC. Then also be aware of any heat that may come from the device. I am betting that the input side of the transformer for the USB port power accepts 110-250V 50/60Hz. If you buy this one, please let me know the outcome, so that I can share it with others.
Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

Porter McRoberts

[...]

Bill
Can you make a recommendation as to what to get?  No implied liability of course!

Thank you as always!  Porter

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Jul 19, 2017, at 9:17 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Absolutely correct Gary!

Some of the US 110VAC power strips have electronics inside which are vulnerable to 230VAC 50htz.

This issue is that Duane, or anyone else trying this risky substitute for the "right thing," won't know whether the device will melt-down or not. It is one of the reasons I said in my reply to Duane, "There also could be lots of other issues...It is much simpler and much better to..."

Maybe I should have gone into more detail, and I apologize for not giving the "burn your boat to the waterline" warning. I had written "other issues," and need to state that this is not the only other issue.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Jul 18, 2017 22:58, "Gary Wells gary@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

If the power strip has surge protection it will fry with the 230v (I think). I did have one power strip smoke off, without any load, aboard already so I don't have them any more.
We do have an inverter for the 110v loads and that seems to be a good solution.
In lieu of a strip I use short length, one-to-three extensions.

Gary W.
S/V Adagio
Marmaris, Turkey