Mainsail furler - manual crank problem

Duane Siegfri

I've overhauled the mainsail furler gearboxes and I was dry-fitting them back on before I painted them when I realized that the manual furler for the mainsail foil in the mast is stuck fast.  I cannot rotate it with a winch handle at all.  Of course, the gearbox is not reinstalled yet so it should be free to furl the mainsail.

It is fastened to the mast with four bolts similiar to the gearbox.  If I remove those it seems to me that the foil will be supported by the mainsail halyard (which is attached to the sail, with is wound around the foil).  Still, I plan to take a halyard and tie it below the sail around the foil to help support the weight and keep it from moving, especially to keep it in the upper bearing.

I have not found any information on this site relative to the manual furler except for Gates Frederichs photos of his overhaul of the Mizzen furler which appears to be of very similiar construction.

If anyone has a tip on overhauling this manual gearbox please let me know.

By the way, the problem with the motorized furler turned out to be the upper bearing in the gearbox below the sail was rusted solid.  The drive shaft in the gearbox was severely pitted at the upper oil seal so I had a machine shop turn it down from 30mm to 29mm which cleaned up 90% of the pitting and should give a relatively good surface for the oil seal to ride on.  You can get the oil seal in 28mm which fit nicely on the shaft.

I wonder if using Corrosion-X on the drive shaft above the upper gearbox seals would help protect it?  Of course a freshwater rinse after sailing would also be a good idea.

Thanks,

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477

Alan Leslie

Hi Duane,

I had this issue a couple of years ago. I replaced the manual gearbox .... at great expense from Amel !

The upper bearing on the main gearbox is a trap for salt water. I regularly wash it out with fresh water and spray lanolin grease on it to try to prevent the corrosion caused by the build up of salt water.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

webercardio <webercardio@...>

See my photos from 16TH August 2015.
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162

Duane Siegfri

Alan,

Thanks for the reply.  I think I can repair this one.  I just have to figure out how to remove the tapered roller bearing.

Wolfgang,

Can you tell me how you removed the tapered roller bearing?  It doesn't seem to be pressed on from below, I put a bearing separator on it and put a very large load on it and it didn't budge. Please take a look at the attached photo.

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Duane Siegfri

I have posted a series of photos on disassembly of the manual furler.

After doing this I would urge you to take the mainsail gearboxes (manual and electric) out and grease the top bearing at least every two years.  Also install new oil seals top and bottom.  Best insurance against paying for a new $800 to $1,000 part.

I'm going to try to fabricate a rubber "skirt" that will band clamp around the part above the top bearing to keep water out but still allow some air circulation.  If I manage that I'll post a photo in the same directory.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Duane Siegfri

It's in the folder in Photos "Manual Furler Gearbox"

Ralph Heilig

Hallo Duane,

thank you for the great Photos! I have a similar Problem. My gearbox is leaking oil out of one of the (4) screws of the Winch Socket.

Also I lost (its broken)  the "dust cover" on the exterior housing.

I have a stupid question:

Is this gearbox filled with Oil or grease? If yes which oil or grease and how do I refill it correctly?

Currently everything is working fine. But the oil dropping out of the lower screw is making me nervous....

Thank you,
Ralph
Santa Isabella
AMEL54#144

Duane Siegfri

Hi Ralph,

I believe they should be greased, based on all the comments I've read here.  To stop the oil leak you could replace the O-Ring on the black collar of the winch socket, but of course most of the oil will drain out when you remove it.

The top bearing in this manual gearbox will not be lubricated by oil at the bottom of the gearbox, and it is especially subject to corrosion with water running down from the mainsail right on top of it.  The oil seal should keep the water out if it's in good condition, but they have a lifespan and at the end they leak.

I would remove the gearbox, disassemble it, and be sure you had grease on the top bearing, and that it's in good condition.  Many people here are adding grease zerts to the gearboxes driven by motors so they can add grease annually.  I packed it with a good quality wheel bearing grease.  Take special care to apply a liberal amount of grease to the top bearing and fill the top oil seal with grease.

Good luck!
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Alan Leslie

I'm not sure that grease is the right lubricant for these gearboxes.
Grease tends to get thrown off gear wheels and ends up solidifying in the corners of the gearbox casing. For the gears to be properly lubricated they need to be immersed in oil.
The original Leroy Somer recommendation was Shell Tivella A.
This is what our Leroy Somer agent told me some time ago :

These gearboxes are old so the lubrication brands would have changed.

Today Tivella A is replaced with Shell Tivella S320.

I believe the smallest can available is 20 litres.

If you only have 1 gearbox to fill you could use a gear oil, 90 viscosity, available from auto shops in 1 litre containers.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Allan Sercombe | General Manager

Emerson Industrial Automation | Emerson Industrial Automation Australia Pty Ltd | 16 Tucks Road | Seven Hills | NSW | 2147 | Australia

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437

Ralph Heilig

Duane,

thank you for your fast Reply! I will change the Dust Cover make an Inspection. Thanks to you now I know the Part Number (NAK VA-45).

My one is leaking out of the screw at the left bottom (see photo).

Best Regards,

Ralph
Santa Isabella
AMEL54#144