[Amel Yacht Owners] Repair

VLADIMIR SONSEV

Paul,
I Chesapeake bay I have had good experience with Osprey Co.
They are in Herrington Harbor North.

Vladimir
SM 345
202 258 1916

On Jul 28, 2017 18:13, "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Patrick and others
We had some hard encounter with a submerged breakwater. We hit with the keel just where the reflector of the transducer are for the logg. There are some de-lamination around the bulkhead just in front of the water tank. the yard we are at now said it more or less cosmetic. however we need to repair.
Probably in the Chesapeake area. So my question is.Is Skip Jack in Sassafras a good place for this or should we head for other place. currently in Port Washington and heading for Main so any good Marina on the stretch Main to Chesapeake bay would be suitable.
All suggestions highly appreciated
Paul a not so proud or happy captain on SY Kerpa SM#259
.

Paul Osterberg

Thank you
Paul

Beaute Olivier

Hello Paul,

I fully agree with Joel, this cannot be qualified as "cosmetic".
A few questions:
-What was your boat speed and were you motoring or sailing, and what was the wind speed? The damages are directly related to these data.
-Did you see the location of the impact from outside (diving) or did you get the boat out of the water? This area is critical and it makes a big difference if the impact is below the GRP keel/ballast junction or above (below the Sonic speed sensor or above).

Your surveyor (and you) will need to inspect the whole inside of the freshwater tank too, and the main mast chain-plates bolts (from inside).
Depending on the speed and if you were sailing or motoring, you will need to have the rigging inspected too.

Good luck in these bad days.

Olivier.

On Saturday, July 29, 2017 4:28 AM, "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Thank you
Paul

Paul Osterberg

Thank you Oliver
We were motoring at about 6 knots speed in flat water. hitting a submerged breakwater with a lot of big granit blocks
We hauled the boat and the main impact is just below the sonic speed sensor, but the iron keel also toke some of the impact.
I can't find the inspection hatches for the water tank. I assume one might be below the front open  refrigerator, one might be below the combined fridge freezer but that one is fiberglass in and difficult to remove.
I guess there should also be one forward of the combined fridge freezer but has not located where to get in an inspect the water tank. Assume the forward inspection hatch is the most important one right now.

Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Patrick McAneny

Paul , No Skipjack would not be good for such a repair. However, Nick at Georgetown Marina would be . A million dollar cat hit a buoy just north of Norfolk , had extensive damage a couple of months ago. They had repairs done in Norfolk , they were poorly done ,so they returned to Georgetown to have Nick make the repairs correctly. They have a carpentry shop in case any woodwork needs to be done.
Good Luck,
Pat SM#123

We had some hard encounter with a submerged breakwater. We hit with the keel just where the reflector of the transducer are for the logg. There are some de-lamination around the bulkhead just in front of the water tank. the yard we are at now said it more or less cosmetic. however we need to repair.
Probably in the Chesapeake area. So my question is.Is Skip Jack in Sassafras a good place for this or should we head for other place. currently in Port Washington and heading for Main so any good Marina on the stretch Main to Chesapeake bay would be suitable.
All suggestions highly appreciated
Paul a not so proud or happy captain on SY Kerpa SM#259
.

Paul Osterberg

Thanks Patrick
Is that the marina called Georgetown Yacht Basin ion Active Captain? Could not find Georegtown Marina "only"

Paul

Patrick McAneny

Paul , Yes it is. Pat