Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Onan starting problem

Mark Erdos

Willem,

It seems to me based on what you wrote you have identified the problem. Perhaps the solenoid is bad or out of adjustment. Or, perhaps the spring needs to be cleaned or re-tensioned.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Monday, August 14, 2017 8:48 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan starting problem

Hi all,

Today the Onan suddenly stopped working. No fault breakers activated. But also after a while I could not start the generator again. Just cranking. But when I move the manual shut off solonoid in against the spring pressure it fires up. But when I remove the pressure on the solonoid it shuts down again.

What is wrong and what to do?

Willem Kroes

SM #351 Kavanga at anchor in Falmouth

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Willem,

I took a factory Onan service course in the UK.  During the course the instructor mentioned that the start/stop solenoid is the most frequent problem on the Kubota engines.

Buy 2 solenoids = 1 being a spare.

Woodward 1502  PN 307-2546-00 Shut down solenoid will fit.

Good luck.

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 14 Aug 2017, at 15:31, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Willem,

It seems to me based on what you wrote you have identified the problem. Perhaps the solenoid is bad or out of adjustment. Or, perhaps the spring needs to be cleaned or re-tensioned.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Grenada

Sent: Monday, August 14, 2017 8:48 AM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan starting problem

Hi all,

Today the Onan suddenly stopped working. No fault breakers activated. But also after a while I could not start the generator again. Just cranking. But when I move the manual shut off solonoid in against the spring pressure it fires up. But when I remove the pressure on the solonoid it shuts down again.

What is wrong and what to do?

Willem Kroes

SM #351 Kavanga at anchor in Falmouth

Willem Kroes

Hi Mark and other Amel lovers,

Yes, the problem appears to be the solenoid. Before this problem the Onan had a different problem that was caused by me. I put some rags to clean the dipstick onder the Kubota and the result was lots of black smoke. I realized after consulting the installation manual that this problem was caused by lack of air. Now the generator is running with a piece of rope plus shock cord to hold the solenoid valve into the 'on' position. So the electric shut off is not working anymore and I have to do this by hand. The problem is that also the fault mechanism is not working and that is a risk, I have to take until the new solenoid arrives.

Best regards,

Willem 

SM #351 "Kavanga" at anchor in Falmouth waiting for a favourable wind to cross the Biscay.

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello again Willem,

Seapower Marine is a good parts supplier in UK (Falmouth)… especially if you are pressed for time.

+44 1473 718713

Good luck with your fix.

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 15 Aug 2017, at 09:26, kavanga@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Yes, the problem appears to be the solenoid. Before this problem the Onan had a different problem that was caused by me. I put some rags to clean the dipstick onder the Kubota and the result was lots of black smoke. I realized after consulting the installation manual that this problem was caused by lack of air. Now the generator is running with a piece of rope plus shock cord to hold the solenoid valve into the 'on' position. So the electric shut off is not working anymore and I have to do this by hand. The problem is that also the fault mechanism is not working and that is a risk, I have to take until the new solenoid arrives.

Best regards,

Willem 

SM #351 "Kavanga" at anchor in Falmouth waiting for a favourable wind to cross the Biscay.

eric freedman

Hi Willem,

What solenoid are you referring to?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:27 AM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan starting problem

Best regards,

Willem 

Willem Kroes

I am referring to the horizontal placed solenoid connected to the red manual stop lever.

Regards, Willem

eric freedman

Thanks Willem,

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 4:46 AM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan starting problem

I am referring to the horizontal placed solenoid connected to the red manual stop lever.

Regards, Willem