Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] finding LED bulbs for overhead lights

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hi Ryan,

Try boatlamps.co.uk… their site has piccies of every LED fixture known.

Good luck.

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 16 Aug 2017, at 19:22, Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,
I'm in the process of converting all the interior lights on my SM to LED.  It was easy to find BA15d LED bulbs for the wall lights, so that's taken care of (though I did break one since the label on the fixture said they're G4, but they're definitely BA15d -- twist, don't pull!).  I'm having a bear of a time finding a bulb that will work in the overhead fixtures though.  They all take G4 bulbs, but the sockets are mounted such that the two pins are vertically aligned.  All the bulbs for this application (example) have pins that are horizontal, so they won't fit.  I have been able to find some LED bulbs that are the same form factor as the original halogens, but they have much lower light output because they're smaller and some of the LEDs are pointing at the ceiling, so I don't want those.  I also haven't had luck finding a 90 degree adapter.  Does anyone have a solution to this problem?  I've seen posts in the archive about people who have changed their lights, but not how they did it.  I thought I should ask before I go creating my own adapters or kludging something together.

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, USA

Ryan Meador

Maybe I'm just missing something, but the offerings on that site look the same as the others I've found, which is to say none will fit my boat.  All of the "side pin" G4 bulbs have the pins in the plane of the disc, and I need them rotated 90 degrees to the plane of the disc (but not back pin, I still want the pins out the side).  Does my Super Maramu have non-standard light fixtures?  I've attached a photo of one, but it's a little difficult to see the orientation of the pins.

Thanks,
Ryan

On 16 Aug 2017, at 19:22, Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

greatketch@...

Hi Ryan,

That's an unusual orientation for a G4 mount, and although my fixtures look similar to yours on the outside, the internal details are different.

You might try these bulbs...  they plug in with a wire, so the orientation of the pins isn't an issue....

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Gloucester, Mass

greatketch@...

Ryan....

On more thing, we'll be in Boston next week.  Give me a shout at greatketch at yahoo dot com if you want to get together and compare notes.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Gloucester, Mass

Ryan Meador

Bill, those lights are the best option I've seen yet.  Thank you!  I wonder if they'd sell me just the pigtails for me to solder onto another manufacturer's bulb, since theirs are a little dimmer than I'd like (I read the existing 20W halogens are 300 lumens and I want to meet or exceed that).

I'll send you an email off-list about meeting up.

Thanks,
Ryan

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 9:40 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ryan....

On more thing, we'll be in Boston next week.  Give me a shout at greatketch at yahoo dot com if you want to get together and compare notes.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Gloucester, Mass

Paul Osterberg

Ryan
We have the same issue, I found a yachty who sold led lamps, and he soldering a few lamps for me with the right orientations of the pins. I was not sure he would be successful so only ordered a few. But they worked.
If you or someone found led lamps with the right orientation please let me know. By the way we bought the one that give red light first time they are switched on and bright white the second time they are turned on.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM259 Martha's Vineyard