Topics

Base for Jabsco Quiet Flush head Brojen

karkauai

Hi all.
On my last passage, the base of my foreword Quiet Flush Jabsco head broke. Jabsco has changed the base and the old ones are no longer available. The new base doesn't have the outboard bolt holes to bolt it to the fiberglass pan, only 3 bolt holes on the perimeter of the base. The fore and aft holes line up with the old ones. The inboard hole is barely on the edge of the flat part of the cabin sole, I drilled it but found no backing plate to tap. There is no access without removing the fiberglass shower enclosure.

I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the fiberglass under the head, and epoxying a piece of stainless underneath where the inboard hole is, then drilling and tapping it.

I might be able to drill a big enough hole to insert a Molly bolt, but not sure I can get it to tighten up with nothing to hold it under the flooring.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Solution?

Is there any down side to cutting a fist-sized hole in the shower pan?

I could move the head outboard a centimeter or so to give myself a flat surface to work with, no more as the macerator motor won't allow it. Any thoughts about that?

Does anyone know the configuration of the backing plates under the original holes?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Kent
SM243
Kristy
St Michaels, MD, USA

greatketch@...

I have not had to solve that particular problem, but it sounds like a rivnut might be an answer instead of a molly-bolt

Another creative solution, might be to get a sheet of 3/8" thick G10.  Epoxy it down on top of the existing fiberglass base.  If you go slow and are very careful with a sharp new tap you can drill and tap it.  It is strong enough to hold threads, and is non-corroding.  I have used it a lot as backing plates.  It usually comes in a light green color that is not horrible to the eye.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Gloucester, Mass