Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Gavin,

Once you head West at some point after the Canaries, my experience is that most of your wind will be between 150 Port and 150 Stbd. If you had a Mizzen staysail, it would be used at 90 degrees. My guess is your chute and code zero will not be too happy at this point of sail
​, unless poled-out​
​Your Atlantic crossing should be mostly downwind. You will likely experience opposing swell from NE and SW.​

I have sailed a 55. You should have both a User's and Owner's manual. Many of your questions can be answered by reading the manual and practice. I would estimate 3-5 days of practice in setting the pole, but remember the sea conditions on your passage will be more challenging. It is possible that you will cross the Atlantic with wind between +/- 150 degrees, no main, the genoa poled out and the mizzen on a preventer
​(mizzen when wind is at 150 degrees or less), ​
which came with your 55. We crossed with an Amel 55 and finished only 1 hour behind because the 55 crew couldn't set the pole. BTW, overall, out of 30 boats, the 55 finished first, we were second, and another SM third. All the other brand boats finished later, including an Amel Maramu which stopped for a few days in Verdes. 
​The 55 would have done much better if the crew had practiced setting the pole.​

You ask about chafe on pole lines, but have you considered the halyards? I recommend dropping all sails and possibly cutting about a foot from the top end of the halyard. The very top of that 
​halyard gets chafe from the sheaves and UV damage from the sun...don't cross an ocean without inspection.​

My advice to you is not to cross with the ARC, rather cross with the founder of the ARC, Jimmy Cornell, in his Atlantic Odyssey. The ARC will have 275 boats while Jimmy has a maximum of
​about ​
50 boats
​ because he wants to limit the size​
​The reputation of the ARC was established by Jimmy Cornell, the founder of the ARC and Atlantic Odyssey. ​
The
​ Atlantic Odyssey has many
 other advantages including less than half the cost. Let me know if you want more information on the Atlantic Odyssey. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Aug 22, 2017 4:49 AM, "Gavin Shaw gavingilmorelodge@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

We hope to cross this year with the ARC on an Amel 55 from 2012.

We are completely new to the boat and have not sailed an Amel before. We would therefore really appreciate advice from Amel 55 owners with ocean experience, particularly on these topics.

1.       The ideal trade wind rig with the apparent wind below 15 knots and the best reduced sail plan with a stronger wind. In addition to the standard cutter rig we have a cruising chute and a Code 0 on board.

2.       Any tips on setting up the pole for long term running to minimise chafe and wear on the pole and fittings?

3.       How best to rig a preventer on the mizzen boom when running?

4.       Should we consider a mizzen staysail, if so how best to rig it on the 55 which doesn’t seem to be set up for one?

5.       When should we use the forward staysail and whether it is safe to rig the running backstays with a tackle and integral jamming cleat like a sailing dinghy mainsheet? (To avoid blocking the secondary winch on the windward side)

6.       I don’t think we have a storm jib or trysail but imagine we should use the forward staysail and deeply reefed main in heavy weather. Do we need additional heavy weather sails?

7.       Our fridge and freezer are not working properly. The freezer struggles to reach -5C and the fridge achieves no cooling at all.They are Frigoboat units with keel coolers, made by Veco. The boat is currently in Golfe Juan where the local service company seem unable to fix them. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks for experienced input on any of these topics.

Gavin

Paul Osterberg

Gavin
Agree 100% about going with Jimmy Cornell, Last year we sailed a rally called the Barbados 50 but now the Canary Rally I think, we were ca 30 boats sailing all Canary Islands and the Cape Verde together. It was very nice indeed and we got many cruising friends that we now and then sail together with. Very good value for money, we all agree to that and almost all participants after the finish said that this was one the best thing so fare ever.
When we crossed we sailed more than 70% of the time with pooled out Genua and Balooner. We were first monohull and beat many multihull, only performance multihull faster than us.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM259 now in Newport

eric freedman

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hey Gang,

We too came across with pole out genoa and ballooner.  No main nor mizzen.

Worked well. Made it from Lanzarote direct to Guadeloupe in 18 days.  Works well!!!

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007.

On 22 Aug 2017, at 23:14, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Gavin

Agree 100% about going with Jimmy Cornell, Last year we sailed a rally called the Barbados 50 but now the Canary Rally I think, we were ca 30 boats sailing all Canary Islands and the Cape Verde together. It was very nice indeed and we got many cruising friends that we now and then sail together with. Very good value for money, we all agree to that and almost all participants after the finish said that this was one the best thing so fare ever.
When we crossed we sailed more than 70% of the time with pooled out Genua and Balooner. We were first monohull and beat many multihull, only performance multihull faster than us.

gavin <gavingilmorelodge@...>

Thanks Bill, please see responses in your text.

Gavin

Sent: 22 August 2017 14:02
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

Gavin,

Once you head West at some point after the Canaries, my experience is that most of your wind will be between 150 Port and 150 Stbd. If you had a Mizzen staysail, it would be used at 90 degrees. My guess is your chute and code zero will not be too happy at this point of sail

, unless poled-out We were thinking of poling-out the genoa to windward and using the Code 0 on the other side when not blanketed by the main.

Your Atlantic crossing should be mostly downwind. You will likely experience opposing swell from NE and SW. Thanks for the warning

I have sailed a 55. You should have both a User's and Owner's manual. We only have the document titled “Amel 55 Owner’s manual” which makes no reference to sail or rigging configurations. We’ll ask Amel if they can provide a “User’s manual”, thanks for the tip.  Many of your questions can be answered by reading the manual and practice. I would estimate 3-5 days of practice in setting the pole, WOW! That’s harder than expected, we’ll try it asap  but remember the sea conditions on your passage will be more challenging. It is possible that you will cross the Atlantic with wind between +/- 150 degrees, no main, the genoa poled out and the mizzen on a preventer

(mizzen when wind is at 150 degrees or less),

which came with your 55. We haven’t found an identifiable mizzen preventer on board. This a pre-owned 55 from 2012.  We crossed with an Amel 55 and finished only 1 hour behind because the 55 crew couldn't set the pole. BTW, overall, out of 30 boats, the 55 finished first, we were second, and another SM third. All the other brand boats finished later, including an Amel Maramu which stopped for a few days in Verdes. 

The 55 would have done much better if the crew had practiced setting the pole. Got it!

You ask about chafe on pole lines, but have you considered the halyards? I recommend dropping all sails and possibly cutting about a foot from the top end of the halyard. The very top of that 

halyard gets chafe from the sheaves and UV damage from the sun...don't cross an ocean without inspection. We’re on it, thank you

My advice to you is not to cross with the ARC, rather cross with the founder of the ARC, Jimmy Cornell, in his Atlantic Odyssey

. The ARC will have 275 boats while Jimmy has a maximum of

about

50 boats

because he wants to limit the size

The reputation of the ARC was established by Jimmy Cornell, the founder of the ARC and Atlantic Odyssey.

The

Atlantic Odyssey has many

other advantages including less than half the cost. Let me know if you want more information on the Atlantic Odyssey. I’ll check with the skipper if there is flexibility but thanks very much for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Gavin

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Aug 22, 2017 4:49 AM, "Gavin Shaw gavingilmorelodge@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We hope to cross this year with the ARC on an Amel 55 from 2012.

We are completely new to the boat and have not sailed an Amel before. We would therefore really appreciate advice from Amel 55 owners with ocean experience, particularly on these topics.

1.       The ideal trade wind rig with the apparent wind below 15 knots and the best reduced sail plan with a stronger wind. In addition to the standard cutter rig we have a cruising chute and a Code 0 on board.

2.       Any tips on setting up the pole for long term running to minimise chafe and wear on the pole and fittings?

3.       How best to rig a preventer on the mizzen boom when running?

4.       Should we consider a mizzen staysail, if so how best to rig it on the 55 which doesn’t seem to be set up for one?

5.       When should we use the forward staysail and whether it is safe to rig the running backstays with a tackle and integral jamming cleat like a sailing dinghy mainsheet? (To avoid blocking the secondary winch on the windward side)

6.       I don’t think we have a storm jib or trysail but imagine we should use the forward staysail and deeply reefed main in heavy weather. Do we need additional heavy weather sails?

7.       Our fridge and freezer are not working properly. The freezer struggles to reach -5C and the fridge achieves no cooling at all.They are Frigoboat units with keel coolers, made by Veco. The boat is currently in Golfe Juan where the local service company seem unable to fix them. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks for experienced input on any of these topics.

Gavin

Thanks Paul, see comments in your text, Gavin

Sent: 22 August 2017 22:14

Gavin

Agree 100% about going with Jimmy Cornell, We’ve long been believers in Jimmy’s approach ever since his World Cruising Survey. Sadly we didn’t know about his rally before our skipper signed up for this year’s ARC+ Last year we sailed a rally called the Barbados 50 but now the Canary Rally I think, we were ca 30 boats sailing all Canary Islands and the Cape Verde together. It was very nice indeed and we got many cruising friends that we now and then sail together with. Very good value for money, we all agree to that and almost all participants after the finish said that this was one the best thing so fare ever.

When we crossed we sailed more than 70% of the time with pooled out Genua and Balooner. Is that aka a cruising chute or is it something else? We were first monohull and beat many multihull, only performance multihull faster than us. Brilliant!

Good stuff, many thanks, Gavin

Thanks Eric, please see comments in your text. Gavin

Sent: 22 August 2017 22:28
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

Hi,

We bought a 1400-1500 sq.  foot gennaker.

Once we had great trade winds we flew it non stop for 7 days. I had it made out of heavier material 1.5 oz instead of the normal .75 oz We were able to fly it up to 30 knots true. Wow! How about the main, mizzen and forward staysail? Did you use any of these other sails together with the gennaker?

Much of the time we were surfing near and above 10 knots. I have a photo of the knot meter going down a big wave at over 19 knots. What my old shipmate Don Street calls “A Nantucket sleigh ride”! I think we crossed in either 15 or 16 days from Grand Canaria-Puerto Mogan to Guadeloupe.

Fair Winds,

Eric

SM 376 Kimberlite

----- Original Message -----
Date: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:14 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

> Gavin Agree 100% about going with Jimmy Cornell, Last year we
> sailed a rally called the Barbados 50 but now the Canary Rally I
> think, we were ca 30 boats sailing all Canary Islands and the
> Cape Verde together. It was very nice indeed and we got many
> cruising friends that we now and then sail together with. Very
> good value for money, we all agree to that and almost all
> participants after the finish said that this was one the best
> thing so fare ever.
> When we crossed we sailed more than 70% of the time with pooled
> out Genua and Balooner. We were first monohull and beat many
> multihull, only performance multihull faster than us.
> Paul on SY Kerpa SM259 now in Newport
>
>
>
>

Hey Jean-Pierre, please see comments in your text, Gavin

Sent: 23 August 2017 04:55

Hey Gang,

We too came across with pole out genoa and ballooner. Same question again: is what you call a “ballooner” also known as a “cruising chute”?  No main nor mizzen.

Worked well. Made it from Lanzarote direct to Guadeloupe in 18 days. Good job Works well!!!

Jean-Pierre Germain,

SY Eleuthera, SM 007. Thanks again, Gavin

On 22 Aug 2017, at 23:14, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Gavin

Paul Osterberg

Gavin
The balooner is a "Genua in spinacker cloth" same size as the Genua, it is hoisted in one of the groves on the Genua furler.
There is a special function who keep the balooner in place so you can take down the halyard, thus furling both together when wind increases or when one encounter a squall. Very efficient indeed. We were "racing" (as Bill said two boats and there is a race) a HR 53 He had his spinnaker up in rather fresh wind, but we was a little bit faster. The HR 53 is a very fast boat in strong wind.
Paul SY Kerpa SM259

Thanks again Paul, I have never seen such a sail but I’ll pass on your information to the owner.

Regards, Gavin

Sent: 24 August 2017 13:58
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

Gavin

The balooner is a "Genua in spinacker cloth" same size as the Genua, it is hoisted in one of the groves on the Genua furler.

There is a special function who keep the balooner in place so you can take down the halyard, thus furling both together when wind increases or when one encounter a squall. Very efficient indeed. We were "racing" (as Bill said two boats and there is a race) a HR 53 He had his spinnaker up in rather fresh wind, but we was a little bit faster. The HR 53 is a very fast boat in strong wind.

Paul SY Kerpa SM259