Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Gavin,

Once you head West at some point after the Canaries, my experience is that most of your wind will be between 150 Port and 150 Stbd. If you had a Mizzen staysail, it would be used at 90 degrees. My guess is your chute and code zero will not be too happy at this point of sail
​, unless poled-out​
​Your Atlantic crossing should be mostly downwind. You will likely experience opposing swell from NE and SW.​

I have sailed a 55. You should have both a User's and Owner's manual. Many of your questions can be answered by reading the manual and practice. I would estimate 3-5 days of practice in setting the pole, but remember the sea conditions on your passage will be more challenging. It is possible that you will cross the Atlantic with wind between +/- 150 degrees, no main, the genoa poled out and the mizzen on a preventer
​(mizzen when wind is at 150 degrees or less), ​
which came with your 55. We crossed with an Amel 55 and finished only 1 hour behind because the 55 crew couldn't set the pole. BTW, overall, out of 30 boats, the 55 finished first, we were second, and another SM third. All the other brand boats finished later, including an Amel Maramu which stopped for a few days in Verdes.
​The 55 would have done much better if the crew had practiced setting the pole.​

You ask about chafe on pole lines, but have you considered the halyards? I recommend dropping all sails and possibly cutting about a foot from the top end of the halyard. The very top of that
​halyard gets chafe from the sheaves and UV damage from the sun...don't cross an ocean without inspection.​

My advice to you is not to cross with the ARC, rather cross with the founder of the ARC, Jimmy Cornell, in his Atlantic Odyssey. The ARC will have 275 boats while Jimmy has a maximum of
​about ​
50 boats
​ because he wants to limit the size​
.
​The reputation of the ARC was established by Jimmy Cornell, the founder of the ARC and Atlantic Odyssey. ​
The
​ Atlantic Odyssey has many
 other advantages including less than half the cost. Let me know if you want more information on the Atlantic Odyssey.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Aug 22, 2017 4:49 AM, "Gavin Shaw gavingilmorelodge@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

We hope to cross this year with the ARC on an Amel 55 from 2012.

We are completely new to the boat and have not sailed an Amel before. We would therefore really appreciate advice from Amel 55 owners with ocean experience, particularly on these topics.

1.       The ideal trade wind rig with the apparent wind below 15 knots and the best reduced sail plan with a stronger wind. In addition to the standard cutter rig we have a cruising chute and a Code 0 on board.

2.       Any tips on setting up the pole for long term running to minimise chafe and wear on the pole and fittings?

3.       How best to rig a preventer on the mizzen boom when running?

4.       Should we consider a mizzen staysail, if so how best to rig it on the 55 which doesn’t seem to be set up for one?

5.       When should we use the forward staysail and whether it is safe to rig the running backstays with a tackle and integral jamming cleat like a sailing dinghy mainsheet? (To avoid blocking the secondary winch on the windward side)

6.       I don’t think we have a storm jib or trysail but imagine we should use the forward staysail and deeply reefed main in heavy weather. Do we need additional heavy weather sails?

7.       Our fridge and freezer are not working properly. The freezer struggles to reach -5C and the fridge achieves no cooling at all.They are Frigoboat units with keel coolers, made by Veco. The boat is currently in Golfe Juan where the local service company seem unable to fix them. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks for experienced input on any of these topics.

Gavin

Paul Osterberg

Gavin
Agree 100% about going with Jimmy Cornell, Last year we sailed a rally called the Barbados 50 but now the Canary Rally I think, we were ca 30 boats sailing all Canary Islands and the Cape Verde together. It was very nice indeed and we got many cruising friends that we now and then sail together with. Very good value for money, we all agree to that and almost all participants after the finish said that this was one the best thing so fare ever.
When we crossed we sailed more than 70% of the time with pooled out Genua and Balooner. We were first monohull and beat many multihull, only performance multihull faster than us.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM259 now in Newport

eric freedman

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hey Gang,

We too came across with pole out genoa and ballooner.  No main nor mizzen.

Worked well. Made it from Lanzarote direct to Guadeloupe in 18 days.  Works well!!!

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007.

On 22 Aug 2017, at 23:14, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Gavin

Agree 100% about going with Jimmy Cornell, Last year we sailed a rally called the Barbados 50 but now the Canary Rally I think, we were ca 30 boats sailing all Canary Islands and the Cape Verde together. It was very nice indeed and we got many cruising friends that we now and then sail together with. Very good value for money, we all agree to that and almost all participants after the finish said that this was one the best thing so fare ever.
When we crossed we sailed more than 70% of the time with pooled out Genua and Balooner. We were first monohull and beat many multihull, only performance multihull faster than us.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM259 now in Newport

gavin <gavingilmorelodge@...>

Thanks Bill, please see responses in your text.

Gavin

From: "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:14 pm
To: amelyachtowners@...

> Gavin Agree 100% about going with Jimmy Cornell, Last year we
> sailed a rally called the Barbados 50 but now the Canary Rally I
> think, we were ca 30 boats sailing all Canary Islands and the
> Cape Verde together. It was very nice indeed and we got many
> cruising friends that we now and then sail together with. Very
> good value for money, we all agree to that and almost all
> participants after the finish said that this was one the best
> thing so fare ever.
> When we crossed we sailed more than 70% of the time with pooled
> out Genua and Balooner. We were first monohull and beat many
> multihull, only performance multihull faster than us.
> Paul on SY Kerpa SM259 now in Newport

gavin <gavingilmorelodge@...>

Hey Jean-Pierre, please see comments in your text, Gavin