[Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

Eric Freedman

I hate to be a party pooper. I feel that rally’s gives one a false sense of security.

If you are attending for the camaraderie , then that’s good.

If you feel that someone is going to help you out in the middle of a long passage, I would not count on it.

I have sailed Kimberlite somewhere between 73-76,000 miles and have never been in a rally. I have heard of disastrous happenings on the radio from rallies. A benefit is weather routing.

My friend Eric Forsyth just left  NY for the Azores having already logged 375,000 miles on his home made 42 footer. He is 85 years young. I asked what he did about weather routing and he said “I just go out and deal with it”. You might check out his website www.yachtfiona.com. He has never sailed in a rally. 2 circumnavigations the Antarctic 3 times, Northwest passage and more.

I would rather be 101% prepared before leaving a port and sailing  on my own.

I have made many long passages sometimes singlehanded.

I guess to each his own.

I just remember being the last person to speak to Triple Stars before the wife died. They were in the NARC rally. There were fast Swans in the rally and the slowest was Triple Stars a Pacific Seacraft they were 190 miles from the leader and 80 miles from the nearest NARC member

I recall one brother drowning on an ARC because he was over the side and could not disconnect from his harness.

There was Stars and  Stripes sailing just west of me and was lost with all hands.

Numerous boats have hit whales and had to jury rig things to make it home. I remember a boat with a red sail and  a sail number 666, lost and never heard of again. There are others , but I cannot remember.

Fortunately you can hit a whale without much, if any damage to your boat- we did off of Grand Canaria.

You might look at the ORC category 1 monohull rules for your boats passage.

I wish you good luck on your passage.

I would also highly recommend that you have a Jordan Series Drogue on hand made by the originator Ace Sailmakers in Connecticut. It is a lifesaver in extreme weather. I sailed through a hurricane with it.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:14 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

Gavin

Agree 100% about going with Jimmy Cornell, Last year we sailed a rally called the Barbados 50 but now the Canary Rally I think, we were ca 30 boats sailing all Canary Islands and the Cape Verde together. It was very nice indeed and we got many cruising friends that we now and then sail together with. Very good value for money, we all agree to that and almost all participants after the finish said that this was one the best thing so fare ever.

When we crossed we sailed more than 70% of the time with pooled out Genua and Balooner. We were first monohull and beat many multihull, only performance multihull faster than us.

Paul on SY Kerpa SM259 now in Newport

gavin <gavingilmorelodge@...>

Thanks again Eric, as before see further comments below, Gavin

Sent: 23 August 2017 05:15
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

I hate to be a party pooper. I feel that rally’s gives one a false sense of security.

If you feel that someone is going to help you out in the middle of a long passage, I would not count on it.

I have sailed Kimberlite somewhere between 73-76,000 miles and have never been in a rally. I have heard of disastrous happenings on the radio from rallies. A benefit is weather routing. I’m copying your perspectives to the skipper, for his consideration

My friend Eric Forsyth just left  NY for the Azores having already logged 375,000 miles on his home made 42 footer. He is 85 years young. I asked what he did about weather routing and he said “I just go out and deal with it”. You might check out his website www.yachtfiona.com. He has never sailed in a rally. 2 circumnavigations the Antarctic 3 times, Northwest passage and more. Fascinating, thank you for the references

I guess to each his own. Agreed

I just remember being the last person to speak to Triple Stars before the wife died. They were in the NARC rally. There were fast Swans in the rally and the slowest was Triple Stars a Pacific Seacraft they were 190 miles from the leader and 80 miles from the nearest NARC member

I recall one brother drowning on an ARC because he was over the side and could not disconnect from his harness.

There was Stars and  Stripes sailing just west of me and was lost with all hands.

Numerous boats have hit whales and had to jury rig things to make it home. I remember a boat with a red sail and  a sail number 666, lost and never heard of again. There are others , but I cannot remember.

Fortunately you can hit a whale without much, if any damage to your boat- we did off of Grand Canaria. You might look at the ORC category 1 monohull rules for your boats passage.

I wish you good luck on your passage. Many thanks Eric

I would also highly recommend that you have a Jordan Series Drogue on hand made by the originator Ace Sailmakers in Connecticut. It is a lifesaver in extreme weather. I sailed through a hurricane with it. Hopefully the skipper will consider it.

Fair Winds

Eric

Gavin

Agree 100% about going with Jimmy Cornell, Last year we sailed a rally called the Barbados 50 but now the Canary Rally I think, we were ca 30 boats sailing all Canary Islands and the Cape Verde together. It was very nice indeed and we got many cruising friends that we now and then sail together with. Very good value for money, we all agree to that and almost all participants after the finish said that this was one the best thing so fare ever.

When we crossed we sailed more than 70% of the time with pooled out Genua and Balooner. We were first monohull and beat many multihull, only performance multihull faster than us.

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Hi all,

This is our experience--we crossed east to west with the Arc in 2002 ( when it suffered its first fatality, one brother falling overboard from a two brother boat, drowning despite being attached on his harness. The boat was doing 8 knots .)

We enjoyed the competitive sailing, crossing two up in just over 17 days ,  for the most part just poling out our genoa . We had some good parties in Las Palmas at the start and many more at the end.Over the  next seven months that we were in the eastern Caribbean we bumped into a number of friends whom we had met through the Arc and 15 years later still stay in touch with a handful, now scattered all over the world.

Do you feel safer on a rally ? The fact that we didn't see another boat for the whole crossing after the first 24 hours says it all. Whether you are on a rally or crossing solo an ocean is a big place and you are entirely on your own. Yes, there have been occasions when one Arc boat has been able to help another but you would be unwise to rely on that happening.

Our subsequent ocean passages  circumnavigating South America and crossing back to Europe from the Bahamas were all solo. The Arc is the only rally that we have been on, but it was great fun and if setting off for the Caribbean again from Europe we would certainly consider doing it again.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Greece

From: amelyachtowners@... on behalf of 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: 23 August 2017 04:14:47
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

I have sailed Kimberlite somewhere between 73-76,000 miles and have never been in a rally. I have heard of disastrous happenings on the radio from rallies. A benefit is weather routing.

My friend Eric Forsyth just left  NY for the Azores having already logged 375,000 miles on his home made 42 footer. He is 85 years young. I asked what he did about weather routing and he said “I just go out and deal with it”. You might check out his website www.yachtfiona.com. He has never sailed in a rally. 2 circumnavigations the Antarctic 3 times, Northwest passage and more.

I guess to each his own.

Fortunately you can hit a whale without much, if any damage to your boat- we did off of Grand Canaria.

You might look at the ORC category 1 monohull rules for your boats passage.

I wish you good luck on your passage.

I would also highly recommend that you have a Jordan Series Drogue on hand made by the originator Ace Sailmakers in Connecticut. It is a lifesaver in extreme weather. I sailed through a hurricane with it.

Fair Winds

Eric

Gavin