Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

Bob Grey

Hi Gavin, I have a 55 

In answer to your questions.

You need to re tension the pole down haul ropes (3) after setup as they stretch, then the pole moves and chafes the genoa sheets. The pole should be tensioned with its halliard to keep it stable and not move.

If your running downwind 150-210deg then put the mizzen away it just cuts flow to the main or Genoa.

I rarely use the staysail, but when I need it 45+knots tacking to windward, the running back stay really needs to be tightened by winch, don't rethink the Amel design.

The staysail is your storm jib.

The most obvious is that the heat exchanger plates on the bottom of the boat have been painted or antifouled.

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017, 19:24, Gavin Shaw gavingilmorelodge@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

We hope to cross this year with the ARC on an Amel 55 from 2012.

We are completely new to the boat and have not sailed an Amel before. We would therefore really appreciate advice from Amel 55 owners with ocean experience, particularly on these topics.

1.       The ideal trade wind rig with the apparent wind below 15 knots and the best reduced sail plan with a stronger wind. In addition to the standard cutter rig we have a cruising chute and a Code 0 on board.

2.       Any tips on setting up the pole for long term running to minimise chafe and wear on the pole and fittings?

3.       How best to rig a preventer on the mizzen boom when running?

4.       Should we consider a mizzen staysail, if so how best to rig it on the 55 which doesn’t seem to be set up for one?

5.       When should we use the forward staysail and whether it is safe to rig the running backstays with a tackle and integral jamming cleat like a sailing dinghy mainsheet? (To avoid blocking the secondary winch on the windward side)

6.       I don’t think we have a storm jib or trysail but imagine we should use the forward staysail and deeply reefed main in heavy weather. Do we need additional heavy weather sails?

7.       Our fridge and freezer are not working properly. The freezer struggles to reach -5C and the fridge achieves no cooling at all.They are Frigoboat units with keel coolers, made by Veco. The boat is currently in Golfe Juan where the local service company seem unable to fix them. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks for experienced input on any of these topics.

Gavin

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi,
I'm a fan of the SM twin headsail system. However if I'm lazy or some other reason a very effective system is wing on wing x 3. Pole the headsail out to (say) port. Prevent the main out to starboard and percent the mizzen out to port.
This system gives wind acceleration. The wind hits the mizzen, accelerates across it and hits the main faster, then accelerates across the main and hits the biggest sail twice accelerated. You can sail downwind up to 15/degrees off 180 .put the boat on wind steer auto helm and kick back.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On 24 Aug 2017 16:41, "Bob Grey renaissanceiii@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Gavin, I have a 55 

You need to re tension the pole down haul ropes (3) after setup as they stretch, then the pole moves and chafes the genoa sheets. The pole should be tensioned with its halliard to keep it stable and not move.

If your running downwind 150-210deg then put the mizzen away it just cuts flow to the main or Genoa.

I rarely use the staysail, but when I need it 45+knots tacking to windward, the running back stay really needs to be tightened by winch, don't rethink the Amel design.

The most obvious is that the heat exchanger plates on the bottom of the boat have been painted or antifouled.

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3
Amel 55 #25.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017, 19:24, Gavin Shaw gavingilmorelodge@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We are completely new to the boat and have not sailed an Amel before. We would therefore really appreciate advice from Amel 55 owners with ocean experience, particularly on these topics.

1.       The ideal trade wind rig with the apparent wind below 15 knots and the best reduced sail plan with a stronger wind. In addition to the standard cutter rig we have a cruising chute and a Code 0 on board.

2.       Any tips on setting up the pole for long term running to minimise chafe and wear on the pole and fittings?

4.       Should we consider a mizzen staysail, if so how best to rig it on the 55 which doesn’t seem to be set up for one?

5.       When should we use the forward staysail and whether it is safe to rig the running backstays with a tackle and integral jamming cleat like a sailing dinghy mainsheet? (To avoid blocking the secondary winch on the windward side)

6.       I don’t think we have a storm jib or trysail but imagine we should use the forward staysail and deeply reefed main in heavy weather. Do we need additional heavy weather sails?

7.       Our fridge and freezer are not working properly. The freezer struggles to reach -5C and the fridge achieves no cooling at all.They are Frigoboat units with keel coolers, made by Veco. The boat is currently in Golfe Juan where the local service company seem unable to fix them. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Gavin

gavin <gavingilmorelodge@...>

Thanks Bob, please see comments in your text below.

Sent: 24 August 2017 05:41
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

Hi Gavin, I have a 55 

Many of the kind responses from this group have been from owners of earlier yachts which were I believe designed by Henri Amel himself whereas Berret Racoupeau designed the 55. If you’ve sailed on the earlier yachts, do you think the 55 sails very differently from the Henri boats? 

You need to re tension the pole down haul ropes (3) after setup as they stretch, then the pole moves and chafes the genoa sheets. The pole should be tensioned with its halliard to keep it stable and not move. Understood, thank you, do you think the downhauls should be replaced with non-stretch lines?

If your running downwind 150-210deg then put the mizzen away it just cuts flow to the main or Genoa. Thanks

I rarely use the staysail, but when I need it 45+knots tacking to windward, the running back stay really needs to be tightened by winch, don't rethink the Amel design. Sorry, we don’t know the Amel design. Is that in the Amel User’s manual which was not included when the boat was bought from the previous owner?

The staysail is your storm jib. Thank you, ours is on a Reckmann electric furler and I wondered if it would be heavy enough for very strong winds?

The most obvious is that the heat exchanger plates on the bottom of the boat have been painted or antifouled. Just in case it helps other owners, after 5 unsuccessful visits from an authorised Frigoboat/Veco service engineer, we have now been told the most likely cause is that the fridge/freezer was left on when Amel hauled the boat in Hyeres. Apparently with the keel coolers out of the water and the compressors running the circulation of the refrigerant soon fails.

Bob Grey

Renaissance 3

Amel 55 #25.

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017, 19:24, Gavin Shaw gavingilmorelodge@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Gavin

gavin <gavingilmorelodge@...>

Thanks Danny, sounds good, we’ll definitely give it a try. We’re so new to the boat I haven’t established yet if or how to get the autopilot to steer a wind angle.

Regards, Gavin

Sent: 24 August 2017 08:38
To: Bob Grey renaissanceiii@... [amelyachtowners]

Hi,
I'm a fan of the SM twin headsail system. However if I'm lazy or some other reason a very effective system is wing on wing x 3. Pole the headsail out to (say) port. Prevent the main out to starboard and percent the mizzen out to port.
This system gives wind acceleration. The wind hits the mizzen, accelerates across it and hits the main faster, then accelerates across the main and hits the biggest sail twice accelerated. You can sail downwind up to 15/degrees off 180 .put the boat on wind steer auto helm and kick back.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 24 Aug 2017 16:41, "Bob Grey renaissanceiii@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Gavin, I have a 55 

Bob Grey

Renaissance 3

Amel 55 #25.

Gavin

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Gavin,

You don't have to use wind steer, that just adds another level of pleasure. Your instrument handbooks will tell you how

Regards

Danny

On 26 August 2017 at 03:50 "'gavin' gavingilmorelodge@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Danny, sounds good, we’ll definitely give it a try. We’re so new to the boat I haven’t established yet if or how to get the autopilot to steer a wind angle.

Regards, Gavin

To: Bob Grey renaissanceiii@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>

Hi,
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

Hi Gavin, I have a 55 

Bob Grey

Renaissance 3

Amel 55 #25.

Gavin

Bob Grey

On Saturday, August 26, 2017, 00:14, 'gavin' gavingilmorelodge@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Thanks Bob, please see comments in your text below.

Sent: 24 August 2017 05:41
To: amelyachtowners@...

Hi Gavin, I have a 55 

Many of the kind responses from this group have been from owners of earlier yachts which were I believe designed by Henri Amel himself whereas Berret Racoupeau designed the 55. If you’ve sailed on the earlier yachts, do you think the 55 sails very differently from the Henri boats? 

You need to re tension the pole down haul ropes (3) after setup as they stretch, then the pole moves and chafes the genoa sheets. The pole should be tensioned with its halliard to keep it stable and not move. Understood, thank you, do you think the downhauls should be replaced with non-stretch lines?

No you do it once after setup, not a big job. 

If your running downwind 150-210deg then put the mizzen away it just cuts flow to the main or Genoa. Thanks

I rarely use the staysail, but when I need it 45+knots tacking to windward, the running back stay really needs to be tightened by winch, don't rethink the Amel design. Sorry, we don’t know the Amel design. Is that in the Amel User’s manual which was not included when the boat was bought from the previous owner? 

The backstay set up is shown at handover didn't find it in a manual. 

The staysail is your storm jib. Thank you, ours is on a Reckmann electric furler and I wondered if it would be heavy enough for very strong winds?

Seriously the reckman on the staysail is over strength for the job!

The most obvious is that the heat exchanger plates on the bottom of the boat have been painted or antifouled. Just in case it helps other owners, after 5 unsuccessful visits from an authorised Frigoboat/Veco service engineer, we have now been told the most likely cause is that the fridge/freezer was left on when Amel hauled the boat in Hyeres. Apparently with the keel coolers out of the water and the compressors running the circulation of the refrigerant soon fails.

Hmm I can't comment but would doubt this explanation.

Bob Grey

Renaissance 3

Amel 55 #25.

Gavin

Bob Grey

If you have the same system as me, hold down the standby key and press auto key, sets to wind not compass.

Took me a year to work out, being a man we don't read manuals.

On Saturday, August 26, 2017, 01:50, 'gavin' gavingilmorelodge@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Regards, Gavin

To: Bob Grey renaissanceiii@... [amelyachtowners]

Hi,
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

Hi Gavin, I have a 55 

Bob Grey

Renaissance 3

Amel 55 #25.

Gavin

jhe1313@...

Gavin, I own a 55 and have gone upwind in 35 kn plus In the Strait of Gibraltar. We had the staysail and a heavily reefed main up. The boat was going 6.5 kn at 30 to 35 apparent wind angle and was generally behaving great. When the wind was going above 35, kn we furled a bit of the staysail. The curler worked fine. But to tack, you need to furl the staysail. Otherwise, you will shred the staysail sheets on the fittings for the pole. You will need the runners on hard, using the small cockpit winches as per the Amel instructions. Hope that helps. Cheers Joerg

Gavin Shaw <gavingilmorelodge@...>

Thanks Joerg, very helpful.

We bought hull 9 (2012) a few months ago. Although the first owner passed on an Amel 55 owner's manual this provides no advice on rig and sail configurations. When we asked Amel if there was a user's manual with recommended sail arrangements they said no. Yet you refer to "instructions" for how to use the staysail when beating in strong winds. If you have Amel approved instructions for using the sails generally would you be able to send these as an email attachment?

Many thanks,

Gavin

jhe1313@...

Gavin, there is an article on the Amel forum (set up by Amel) on how to rig the runners. That's what I was referencing in my post. I don't have anything about the sails generally. Cheers Joerg

hanspeter baettig

Hello Gavin
as a long time amel owner (SM ) I understand the reply from Amel about your "?" question if Amel provides a manual about sail arrangements. Why Amel said no ?
Amel can not look always about your actual weather conditions, simple , you understand ?
Maybe you should first learn sailing on a dingy  😉have big pleasure with your great boat.
Fair winds
Hanspeter
SM16, Tamango2
Alger, Algerien

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 05.09.2017 um 13:15 schrieb Gavin Shaw gavingilmorelodge@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Thanks Joerg, very helpful.

We bought hull 9 (2012) a few months ago. Although the first owner passed on an Amel 55 owner's manual this provides no advice on rig and sail configurations. When we asked Amel if there was a user's manual with recommended sail arrangements they said no. Yet you refer to "instructions" for how to use the staysail when beating in strong winds. If you have Amel approved instructions for using the sails generally would you be able to send these as an email attachment?

Many thanks,

Gavin