Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rpm
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, August 27, 2017, 6:43 AM

This summer I have not been able to
motor above 2200 rpm , but in neutral I can go right up to
3000 . I have not been able to dive on the prop to see if it
is fouled do to an injury. If I had a problem with fuel ,
turbo etc. would I be able to get up to 3000 in neutral but
not in gear ? Or does this indicate just a fouled
prop. Thanks,PatSM#123

Patrick McAneny

Alexandre, That is not my issue, I failed to say that I have always been able to top out at about 3000 or 3100 rpm and about 8.3 kts. I had put Velux prop anti foul on my prop last year and three months later I could not believe how many barnacles I had . The company never responded to my questions . I surmised that if it works , it is not meant for fresh or brackish water. I know some bottom paint is not to be used in fresh water.
Thanks,
Pat

Date: Sunday, August 27, 2017, 6:43 AM

This summer I have not been able to
motor above 2200 rpm , but in neutral I can go right up to
3000 . I have not been able to dive on the prop to see if it
is fouled do to an injury. If I had a problem with fuel ,
turbo etc. would I be able to get up to 3000 in neutral but
not in gear ? Or does this indicate just a fouled
prop. Thanks,PatSM#123

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Pat,

Velox worked very well for me when I was in the Bahamas, but in San Juan, PTortola and Sint Maarten it doesn’t work…
I think it depends how much barnacles there will be or may be the water temperature…

So if you were able to get 3000 then I would bet your issue is barnacle build up.
When I was in San Juan I did an engine run (at the dock) and was shocked not to be able to exceed 1350 rpm… I dove and saw lots of barnacles on the prop, I cleaned it, then was able to go back to 2200 rpm.

Joel then ave the trick to put a black plastic bag on the propeller.

Sincerely, Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

From: Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>

Date: Sunday, August 27, 2017, 6:43 AM

,

turbo etc. would I be able to get up to 3000 in neutral
but

not in gear ? Or does this indicate just a fouled

prop. Thanks,PatSM#123

karkauai

Brenton's, the US AutoProp people told me that mine was pitched for a 100 HP Yanmar, not my 78HP Volvo.  Amel said they've used the same prop for both engines without problems.

Others with this problem have serviced the prop and solved the problem.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

Paul Osterberg

Ken

When you service the propeller, exactly what is done? Is it new bearings? Can one fix that one self or do I need to send it away? We have clean bottom and newly Velox on the propeller, and Greased the propeller but it  only reach 2600 rev on our TMD 22. Before we reached 2800, I thought it might be the turbo being slow and need cleaning again, or the injectors. We hade the turbo serviced 1000 h ago, do not know how often one should service it, we try to now and then runthe engine hard for 20 to 30 minutes to clean out some carbon dust.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 currently in Bristol RI

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Pat,

I believe that you need to eliminate any sort of propeller fouling before doing anything else because it is the most common issue followed with the AutoProp needing a bearing kit. Next will be turbo and fuel system.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Aug 27, 2017 10:17 AM, "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ken

When you service the propeller, exactly what is done? Is it new bearings? Can one fix that one self or do I need to send it away? We have clean bottom and newly Velox on the propeller, and Greased the propeller but it  only reach 2600 rev on our TMD 22. Before we reached 2800, I thought it might be the turbo being slow and need cleaning again, or the injectors. We hade the turbo serviced 1000 h ago, do not know how often one should service it, we try to now and then runthe engine hard for 20 to 30 minutes to clean out some carbon dust.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 currently in Bristol RI

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Pat,

Sorry, my assumption was that you had an AutoProp. Please disregard my earlier posting.

On Aug 27, 2017 10:17 AM, "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Ken

When you service the propeller, exactly what is done? Is it new bearings? Can one fix that one self or do I need to send it away? We have clean bottom and newly Velox on the propeller, and Greased the propeller but it  only reach 2600 rev on our TMD 22. Before we reached 2800, I thought it might be the turbo being slow and need cleaning again, or the injectors. We hade the turbo serviced 1000 h ago, do not know how often one should service it, we try to now and then runthe engine hard for 20 to 30 minutes to clean out some carbon dust.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 currently in Bristol RI

eric freedman

Paul.,

Replacing the bearings on the Autoprop is easy but time consuming.

However you are a short drive from AB marine in Newport. They are the Autoprop dealers and are very helpful. I am sure they could rebuild your prop in a few days. Otherwise they can sell you the parts and rent you the tools.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

When you service the propeller, exactly what is done? Is it new bearings? Can one fix that one self or do I need to send it away? We have clean bottom and newly Velox on the propeller, and Greased the propeller but it  only reach 2600 rev on our TMD 22. Before we reached 2800, I thought it might be the turbo being slow and need cleaning again, or the injectors. We hade the turbo serviced 1000 h ago, do not know how often one should service it, we try to now and then runthe engine hard for 20 to 30 minutes to clean out some carbon dust.

Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 currently in Bristol RI

Patrick McAneny

Bill, Easy mistake, and since I disconnected my prop driven alternator , I wish I had an Auto prop. I hope you guys are surviving Harvey , you are getting a ton of rain .
Good Luck'
Pat SM #123