[Amel Yacht Owners] Rpm

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Pat,

It is a common problem that some of us have,
In my case, even with a rebuilt propeller, new turbo and clean hull I was not able to exceed 2350 rpm.
Even thought my boat is heavier than recommended, I believe it is because of the oversize propeller, Kent on Kristy re pitched his and can now go 2800 rpm.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
IGY Simpson Bay Marina, St Maarten, NA

--------------------------------------------

On Sun, 8/27/17, sailw32@aol.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rpm
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, August 27, 2017, 6:43 AM

This summer I have not been able to
motor above 2200 rpm , but in neutral I can go right up to
3000 . I have not been able to dive on the prop to see if it
is fouled do to an injury. If I had a problem with fuel ,
turbo etc. would I be able to get up to 3000 in neutral but
not in gear ? Or does this indicate just a fouled
prop. Thanks,PatSM#123

Patrick McAneny

Alexandre, That is not my issue, I failed to say that I have always been able to top out at about 3000 or 3100 rpm and about 8.3 kts. I had put Velux prop anti foul on my prop last year and three months later I could not believe how many barnacles I had . The company never responded to my questions . I surmised that if it works , it is not meant for fresh or brackish water. I know some bottom paint is not to be used in fresh water. 
Thanks, 
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Sun, Aug 27, 2017 7:55 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rpm

Good morning Pat,

In my case, even with a rebuilt propeller, new turbo and clean hull I was not able to exceed 2350 rpm.
Even thought my boat is heavier than recommended, I believe it is because of the oversize propeller, Kent on Kristy re pitched his and can now go 2800 rpm.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

On Sun, 8/27/17, sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

To: amelyachtowners@...

motor above 2200 rpm , but in neutral I can go right up to
3000 . I have not been able to dive on the prop to see if it
is fouled do to an injury. If I had a problem with fuel ,
turbo etc. would I be able to get up to 3000 in neutral but
prop. Thanks,PatSM#123

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Pat,

Velox worked very well for me when I was in the Bahamas, but in San Juan, PTortola and Sint Maarten it doesn’t work…
I think it depends how much barnacles there will be or may be the water temperature…

So if you were able to get 3000 then I would bet your issue is barnacle build up.
When I was in San Juan I did an engine run (at the dock) and was shocked not to be able to exceed 1350 rpm… I dove and saw lots of barnacles on the prop, I cleaned it, then was able to go back to 2200 rpm.

Joel then ave the trick to put a black plastic bag on the propeller.

Sincerely, Alexandre

On Sun, 8/27/17, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@aol.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Date: Sunday, August 27, 2017, 7:22 AM

Alexandre, That is not my issue, I failed to
say that I have always been able to top out at about 3000 or
3100 rpm and about 8.3 kts. I had put Velux prop anti foul
on my prop last year and three months later I could not
believe how many barnacles I had . The company never
responded to my questions . I surmised that if it works , it
is not meant for fresh or brackish water. I know some bottom
paint is not to be used in fresh water. 
Thanks, 

Pat

-----Original
Message-----

[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>

<amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>

Sent: Sun, Aug 27, 2017 7:55 am

Good morning Pat,

In my case, even with a rebuilt propeller, new turbo and
clean hull I was not able to exceed 2350 rpm.

Even thought my boat is heavier than recommended, I believe
it is because of the oversize propeller, Kent on Kristy re
pitched his and can now go 2800 rpm.

Sincerely, Alexandre

SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

On Sun, 8/27/17, sailw32@aol.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:

motor above 2200 rpm , but in neutral I can go right up
to

3000 . I have not been able to dive on the prop to see if
it

is fouled do to an injury. If I had a problem with fuel

turbo etc. would I be able to get up to 3000 in neutral
but

prop. Thanks,PatSM#123

karkauai

Brenton's, the US AutoProp people told me that mine was pitched for a 100 HP Yanmar, not my 78HP Volvo.  Amel said they've used the same prop for both engines without problems.

Others with this problem have serviced the prop and solved the problem.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

Paul Osterberg

Ken

When you service the propeller, exactly what is done? Is it new bearings? Can one fix that one self or do I need to send it away? We have clean bottom and newly Velox on the propeller, and Greased the propeller but it  only reach 2600 rev on our TMD 22. Before we reached 2800, I thought it might be the turbo being slow and need cleaning again, or the injectors. We hade the turbo serviced 1000 h ago, do not know how often one should service it, we try to now and then runthe engine hard for 20 to 30 minutes to clean out some carbon dust.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 currently in Bristol RI

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Pat,

I believe that you need to eliminate any sort of propeller fouling before doing anything else because it is the most common issue followed with the AutoProp needing a bearing kit. Next will be turbo and fuel system. 

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Aug 27, 2017 10:17 AM, "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ken

When you service the propeller, exactly what is done? Is it new bearings? Can one fix that one self or do I need to send it away? We have clean bottom and newly Velox on the propeller, and Greased the propeller but it  only reach 2600 rev on our TMD 22. Before we reached 2800, I thought it might be the turbo being slow and need cleaning again, or the injectors. We hade the turbo serviced 1000 h ago, do not know how often one should service it, we try to now and then runthe engine hard for 20 to 30 minutes to clean out some carbon dust.

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Pat,

Sorry, my assumption was that you had an AutoProp. Please disregard my earlier posting. 

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Aug 27, 2017 10:53 AM, "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
Pat,

I believe that you need to eliminate any sort of propeller fouling before doing anything else because it is the most common issue followed with the AutoProp needing a bearing kit. Next will be turbo and fuel system. 

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Aug 27, 2017 10:17 AM, "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Ken

eric freedman

Paul.,

Replacing the bearings on the Autoprop is easy but time consuming.

However you are a short drive from AB marine in Newport. They are the Autoprop dealers and are very helpful. I am sure they could rebuild your prop in a few days. Otherwise they can sell you the parts and rent you the tools.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2017 11:17 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...

Ken

Patrick McAneny

Bill, Easy mistake, and since I disconnected my prop driven alternator , I wish I had an Auto prop. I hope you guys are surviving Harvey , you are getting a ton of rain .
Good Luck'
Pat SM #123

-----Original Message-----
From: 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: Sun, Aug 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Pat,

Sorry, my assumption was that you had an AutoProp. Please disregard my earlier posting. 

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Aug 27, 2017 10:53 AM, "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
Pat,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Aug 27, 2017 10:17 AM, "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Ken