[Amel Yacht Owners] Battery Charger Thoughts?

John Clark

Hi Bill K,
    I have a smaller bank of 6 AGMs with a Mastervolt 40 and a Dolphin 30.  I run them both for the high amp portion of a charge then finish with the Dolphin.  It works fine, both are "clever" so I can run either to hold a float on the battery.

One reason (aside from cabling size) to stick with two is the redundancy two chargers bring.  One failure does not leave you cold.

If you have a larger battery bank then perhaps slightly larger units are in order.

Regards,  John

John Clark
SV Annie SM 37
Pamlico Sound

On Aug 29, 2017 9:54 PM, "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

It's getting time to update our 220V/24V charging systems, and I am hoping the collective wisdom here can shorten my research efforts.

Our current system is a mish-mash of original and replacement units.  We have one 50 Amp charger from the original Amel installation, and two 25 Amp Xantrex units. One of the Xantrex units has died.

Is there any reason to maintain the original Amel installation of a large (100 Amp) charger AND a smaller (30 Amp) charger for use on shore power? I assume a modern 100 Amp charger can easily hold a 450 Amp-hr battery bank at float voltage even under no load without over-charging.

Anyone have a recommendation for a large (100 Amp or greater) 220VAC/24VDC charger? There do not seem to be very many available for 24VDC service.

Anyone have recommendations for units NOT to consider?  I have experienced poor reliability with several different Xantrex units.  Although a limited data set, once burned, twice shy.

We have AGM batteries, so we can make good use of high charging currents, for much of the charging cycle.

Bill Kinney

SM160, Harmonie

Boston, Mass

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Same here, did not go with the 100 Amp charger being concerned with the wiring size.
My vessel came with the 8 house batteries and the 30 + 50 Dolphin.
I don’t know if vessels that were delivered with the 12 house batteries had larger wires.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
IGY Simpson Bay Marina, St Maarten, NA

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Battery Charger Thoughts?
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 9:58 PM

BillBoth my original units
failed:  50 amp and 30 amp Dolphins.  I replaced with two
60 amp Master-volts. I briefly considered a 100 Amp
Master-volt unit but original wiring size would not support
higher amps.  However, since each 60 Amp is on different
circuit I can run both at same time getting a more rapid
charge - 110-115 Amp.  When amp input drops below 60 I turn
one unit off.  So far I'm happy with units.

Ben
Ben and Gayle S/V La
Bella VitaSM #347Le Marin
Martinique
Sent from my
iPad
On Aug 29,
2017, at 6:54 PM, greatketch@yahoo.com
wrote:

[...]

greatketch@...

John,

Thanks for the input.  That is pretty much the way we use ours.

I believe Amel's rational for installing a small charger to use a the dock was a 100 Amp charger can draw almost 10 Amps @ 220VAC when in bulk charge mode, out of the 16Amps total available from the shore power connection, leaving very little left over to run house loads.

All of the modern chargers I have seen have an easy way to limit their AC current usage when supply is restricted, so the need for the smaller charger seems to have gone away as chargers have gotten more sophisticated.

I am definitely thinking we will be keeping at least two chargers installed.  Not being able to charge batteries because of a single point failure would be a problem.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Boston, Mass

---In amelyachtowners@..., <john.biohead@...> wrote :

Hi Bill K,
    I have a smaller bank of 6 AGMs with a Mastervolt 40 and a Dolphin 30.  I run them both for the high amp portion of a charge then finish with the Dolphin.  It works fine, both are "clever" so I can run either to hold a float on the battery.

One reason (aside from cabling size) to stick with two is the redundancy two chargers bring.  One failure does not leave you cold.

If you have a larger battery bank then perhaps slightly larger units are in order.

Regards,  John

John Clark
SV Annie SM 37
Pamlico Sound

Stephen Davis

Hi Bill,

On our older SM, we have a single 100 amp Mastervolt charger which works well, and yes, we upgraded the wiring size. The charger does draw about 10 amps when it is putting 100 amps into the batteries in bulk mode, but usually steps down to a lower rate quickly, as I never discharge my batteries too far.

Because we are circumnavigating on our boat, redundancy is very important, and we carry a spare 80 amp mastervolt charger. I can change the chargers out in under 30 minutes, and never have to live with a greatly reduced charging capacity. It's a great solution for us, but a little more expensive than having a 2nd 30 amp charger.

We also installed a Watt and Sea hydro generator on the transom while in St Maarten last spring. We made a 3 day passage to Bonaire after installing the unit, never ran the generator, and arrived with full batteries. For anyone considering long passages, I think this is a great option. If anyone is interested in the installation, I can provide some pictures in a couple of weeks when we return to the boat. These are expensive gadgets, but we were fortunate to obtain a lightly used one from a friend in Martinique along with the custom made stainless mounting bracket for the SM. Sorry for the thread creep, but it seemed to fit in with charging the batteries.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Aruba

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Hi Bill K,
    I have a smaller bank of 6 AGMs with a Mastervolt 40 and a Dolphin 30.  I run them both for the high amp portion of a charge then finish with the Dolphin.  It works fine, both are "clever" so I can run either to hold a float on the battery.

One reason (aside from cabling size) to stick with two is the redundancy two chargers bring.  One failure does not leave you cold.

If you have a larger battery bank then perhaps slightly larger units are in order.

Regards,  John

John Clark
SV Annie SM 37
Pamlico Sound

Alan Leslie

Yes the 12 battery system has significantly bigger wiring for the 100 A charger
Alan
Elyse SM437

greatketch@...

Steve,

I for one would love to see pictures of the hydrogenerator installation on your boat.

My old boat had a water generator of a different brand, and with it as the only charging source, on a 21 day crossing from Hawaii to California the batteries never dropped below 95% SOC--and that was on a boat significantly slower than a Amel.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Boston, Mass

---In amelyachtowners@..., <flyboyscd@...> wrote :

[...]

Bill,

It is a fairly efficient machine, and really starts to shine above 7 knots, but does OK at 6. I was fortunate to find one used, and with someone else having engineered a very solid bracket. We are currently in Hawaii, but will get some pictures up on the forum when we return to Aruba and start preparing Aloha for our next leg to Columbia. It is only a 2 minute process to remove the unit from the transom, and store it in the aft lazarette. I think when you see our install, you will realize it does not hinder your access to the transom at all.

Steve
Aloha SM 72