Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Alex aboard Nikimat

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Derek Gates told me that he notified both Embassies.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sep 11, 2017 01:58, "grazyna.piesiewicz@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

A message copied form the Amel owners group on Facebook, a call for help from Alexandre:

"From our friend Alexandre asking for help. Please read it. St Maarten.

Moral is low.
I don’t even want to mop the floor.
Just waiting for the generator to get the Wifi
The fridge is warm.
People, including the Hotel employee, are angry.
The government doesn’t sell fuel to civilians.
when we run out of diesel for the generator: no internet, no fridge, no stove, no water for the toilet nor shower and computers, phone, etc. will run out of batteries.
I really don’t see a way out of this.
10.00 they are having difficulties to start the generator.
The Hotel internet is down and I can’t access the one next door.
I just cry.
During the 2 hours the generator was running, all I did was trying to get Wifi.
Then, to make the thing worst, the Hotel which originally agree on $1500 plus water and electricity, now wants $2250 because they can not meter the electricity nor water I use?!?
We argue for one hour, I tell them I am taking back my diesel and selling it to the higher offer.
Finally we settle for $1600 all together, but I lost trust in them.
I no longer feel safe here, more and more I want to leave, but I also don’t want to loose all I remove from the boat.
18.30 the generator starts, but no internet anywhere.
20.00 finally an internet connection.
Just sending the message I wrote.
I am so tired, if you could please contact any Swiss or French consulate to let them know I am at Simpson Bay Suites
3D Billy Fully Roaad
Pelican, St Maarten, N.A.
1.721.544.4441 (I doubt it works)
info@... (I doubt it works)
simpsonbaysuites@... (I doubt it works)
Thanks in advance.
Sincerely, Alexandre"

John Clark

Good job Derek.  I hope Alex stays inside the hotel.  It will be hard for the next week or so, but SXM is not a place for an "outsider"at the moment.

John Clark

On Sep 11, 2017 01:58, "grazyna.piesiewicz@concurrence.etat.lu [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

hanspeter baettig

Alex, Bill
I spoke with the Swiss Goverment. In St.Martin there is no Swiss Emassy and no Consulat.
The contact Alex needs is the following:
Regional Konsulatcenter for St. Martin is in Den Haag, Holland
Regionales Konsularcenter Benelux Den Haag
c/o Schweizerische Botschaft
Lange Voorhout 42
2514 EE Den Haag
Niederlande
this office is also responsible for St. Martin
Phone: +31 70 3642831/32
Fax: +31 70 3651238
maybe I coud help a littel bit.
And Alex take care my thougt are with you
Hanspeter
SM16, Tamango 2

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 11.09.2017 um 14:03 schrieb 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

[...]

Darren Ward <darren_ward@...>

Is there any cruiser south or from PR that can sail to St Martin to rescue Alex and his belongings?

On Monday, September 11, 2017 8:34 AM, "'Hanspeter.baettig' hanspeter.baettig@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

[...]

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

We spoke to a friend in Cannes who is retired lawyer and lifelong Amel owner.  He is attending an Amel function Thursday where he will ask Amel's help for owners caught in the storm.  Also he is posting Alex's post from St Martin on a Cannes net so more I'll know of his and others dilemma. He  told us this morning  the government is sending foreign legion to restore order.  His email is below:

J'ai poste sur mon facebook et sur celui de mes amis de St martin mais pour l'instant c'est le chaos à St Martin.L'armee et 500 légionnaires et des commandos de police arrivent aujourd'hui à St Martin pour sécuriser l'île.C'est horrible et nous le plaignons beaucoup.Nous sommes en FRANCE et ne pouvons rien faire d'ici.J'ai envoyé à AMEL votre message et le témoignage d'Alex,COURAGE GAYLE NOUS VOUS EMBRASSONS ET ESPÉRONS DES JOURS MEILLEURS POUR VOUS REVOIR À ST MARTIN.

TRANSLATION
I post on my facebook and that of my friends of St martin but for now it is the chaos in St Martin. The army and 500 legionnaires and police commandos arrive today in St Martin to secure We are in FRANCE and can do nothing from here. I have sent to AMEL your message and the testimony of Alex, COURAGE GAYLE WE WILL EMBRACE AND HOPE BEST DAYS TO REVIEW YOU IN ST MARTIN.

Ben and Gayle
S/V La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Sep 11, 2017, at 5:34 AM, 'Hanspeter.baettig' hanspeter.baettig@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

We got a mail from our friends in France - Edouard And Marie-Helene Parent .  They were able to hook Alex up with a Swiss national who will assist him - if possible

"I received your file and send on the net a swiss friend is in contact with him for an help by Swiss consul"

Marie-Helene

Ben and Gayle
La Bella Vita
SM #347
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Monday, September 11, 2017, 8:07 AM, Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

[...]

Ken Powers <sailingaquarius@...>

To All,

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the people that were in the path of Irma.   Is there anyone close to Alex that could pick him up and take him somewhere safe....  maybe Martinique....

I hope things get better quickly,

Ken Powers
Aquarius SM2K
sailingaquarius.com

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:18 AM, "Ben Driver joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

[...]

Mark Erdos

Ken,

Private boats and airplanes are barred from going into the area. Even small yachts trying to provide aid have been turned away.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us

email: benelux@...

[...]

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Ken and everybody on the Amel Forum,

I haven’t had the time to read all the message on the forum, but will.

The electricity was back, but is now intermittent, I think this is either because the electricity company which was damaged and can not run at full capacity is giving a few hours per district or because they shut the power to work on something then put it back.

We had water, but the cistern is empty… they suspect a leak.

Last Sunday the moral was low and I wanted to leave ASAP, now I am better.
I saved all my cloth, spare parts, etc. and I am not going to leave without them.
I am talking to all the people I can to get or buy a 20ft container and put everything I saved in it then likely go to Martinique.

I don’t think boats would be allow to come in, no more marinas, too many debris and sunk boats, not to mention the looters.

But THANKS to all of you for your support.
I really appreciate it and I hope to meet many of you during your travel.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Lost during Hurricane Irma, IGY Simpson Bay Marina, St Maarten, NA

To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: Thursday, September 14, 2017, 4:53 AM

All,
My
thoughts and prayers go out to all the people that were in
the path of Irma.   Is there anyone close to Alex that
could pick him up and take him somewhere safe....  maybe
Martinique....
hope things get better quickly,
Ken
PowersAquarius
SM2K sailingaquarius.com

On Tuesday, September
12, 2017 10:18 AM, "Ben Driver @JoeDoakes
[amelyachtowners]"

@JoeDoakes [amelyachtowners]
<amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

[...]

Sent from my
iPad

3642831/32Fax: +31 70 3651238email: benelux@... I coud help a
littel bit.And Alex take care my
thougt are with youHanspeterSM16, Tamango 2

Von meinem iPad
gesendet
Am 11.09.2017 um 14:03
schrieb 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Derek Gates told me that he notified
both Embassies.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas
Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel
School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island,
TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sep 11, 2017 01:58,
"grazyna.piesiewicz@...
[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

eric freedman

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Eric,
Thanks as always for your generosity!
Hopefully I will find a place where I can put all the cloth, spare parts, etc.
But I keep your offer in mind!
Keep in touch! Sincerely, Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Thursday, September 14, 2017, 11:00 AM

Hi Alexandre,
Kimberlite should be in Martinique about November 10
for a few months.
You are  more than welcome to stay aboard.
Fair Winds,
Eric

----- Original
Message -----
From: "Ken Powers
sailingaquarius@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date: Thursday, September 14, 2017 5:53 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Alex
aboard Nikimat
To:
"amelyachtowners@..."

> To All,
> My thoughts and prayers go out to all the
people that were in
> the path of Irma.
  Is there anyone close to Alex that could
> pick him up and take him somewhere
safe....  maybe Martinique....
hope things get better quickly,
> Ken
PowersAquarius SM2K sailingaquarius.com

> On Tuesday,
September 12, 2017 10:18 AM, "Ben Driver

@JoeDoakes [amelyachtowners]"
> wrote:
>

>   We got a mail
from our friends in France - Edouard And
> Marie-Helene Parent .  They were able to
hook Alex up with a
> Swiss national who
will assist him - if possible

> "I received your file and send on the
net a swiss friend is in
> contact with
him for an help by Swiss consul"

> Marie-Helene
>
> Ben and GayleLa Bella VitaSM #347Sent
from Yahoo Mail for iPad

> On Monday, September 11, 2017, 8:07 AM,
Ben Driver/YAHOO
> @JoeDoakes
[amelyachtowners]
> wrote:
>
> We spoke to a
friend in Cannes who is retired lawyer and
> lifelong Amel owner.  He is attending an
Amel function Thursday
> where he will
ask Amel's help for owners caught in the storm.
>  Also he is posting Alex's post from
St Martin on a Cannes net
> so more
I'll know of his and others dilemma. He  told us this

> morning  the government is sending
foreign legion to restore
> order.  His
email is below:
> J'ai poste sur mon
facebook et sur celui de mes amis de St
> martin mais pour l'instant c'est
le chaos à St Martin.L'armee et

500 légionnaires et des commandos de police arrivent
aujourd'hui
> à St Martin pour
sécuriser l'île.C'est horrible et nous le
> plaignons beaucoup.Nous sommes en FRANCE
et ne pouvons rien
> faire
d'ici.J'ai envoyé à AMEL votre message et le
témoignage
> d'Alex,COURAGE GAYLE
NOUS VOUS EMBRASSONS ET ESPÉRONS DES JOURS
> MEILLEURS POUR VOUS REVOIR À ST
MARTIN.

TRANSLATION
> I post on my facebook and
that of my friends of St martin but

for now it is the chaos in St Martin. The army and 500
> legionnaires and police commandos arrive
today in St Martin to
> secure We are in
FRANCE and can do nothing from here. I have
> sent to AMEL your message and the
testimony of Alex, COURAGE
> GAYLE WE
WILL EMBRACE AND HOPE BEST DAYS TO REVIEW YOU IN ST
MARTIN.

> Ben and Gayle S/V La Bella VitaSM #347
> Sent from my iPad
> On
Sep 11, 2017, at 5:34 AM, 'Hanspeter.baettig'
> hanspeter.baettig@...
[amelyachtowners]
> wrote:
>

>   Alex, BillI spoke with the Swiss
Goverment. In St.Martin
> there is no
Swiss Emassy and no Consulat.The contact Alex needs
> is the following:Regional Konsulatcenter
for St. Martin is in
> Den Haag,
HollandRegionales Konsularcenter Benelux Den Haagc/o
> Schweizerische BotschaftLange Voorhout
422514 EE Den
> HaagNiederlandethis
office is also responsible for St.

MartinPhone: +31 70 3642831/32Fax: +31 70 3651238email:
> benelux@... I coud help a
littel bit.And Alex take
> care my
thougt are with youHanspeterSM16, Tamango 2

> Von meinem iPad
gesendet
> Am 11.09.2017 um 14:03 schrieb
'Bill & Judy Rouse'

yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]
> :
>
>   Derek Gates told me that he notified
both Embassies.

> CW Bill Rouse

Admiral, Texas Navy
> Commander
Emeritus
School www.amelschool.com
> 720 Winnie
St
> Galveston Island, TX 77550
> +1(832) 380-4970
>

> On Sep 11,
2017 01:58, "grazyna.piesiewicz@...
> [amelyachtowners]" wrote:
>
>   A message copied
form the Amel owners group on Facebook, a
> call for help from Alexandre:
>
> "From our
friend Alexandre asking for help. Please read it. St
> Maarten. Moral is low.
> I don’t even want to mop the floor.
> Just waiting for the generator to get the
Wifi
> The fridge is warm.
> People, including the Hotel employee, are
angry.
> The government doesn’t sell
fuel to civilians.
> when we run out of
diesel for the generator: no internet, no
> fridge, no stove, no water for the toilet
nor shower and
> computers, phone, etc.
will run out of batteries.
> I really
don’t see a way out of this.
> 10.00
they are having difficulties to start the generator.
> The Hotel internet is down and I can’t
access the one next
> door.
> I just cry.
> During
the 2 hours the generator was running, all I did was
> trying to get Wifi.

Then, to make the thing worst, the Hotel which originally
agree
> on $1500 plus water and
electricity, now wants $2250 because

they can not meter the electricity nor water I use?!?
> We argue for one hour, I tell them I am
taking back my diesel
> and selling it
to the higher offer.
> Finally we settle
for $1600 all together, but I lost trust in
> them.
> I no longer
feel safe here, more and more I want to leave, but
> I also don’t want to loose all I remove
from the boat.
> 18.30 the generator
starts, but no internet anywhere.

20.00 finally an internet connection.

Just sending the message I wrote.
> I am
so tired, if you could please contact any Swiss or French

> consulate to let them know I am at
Simpson Bay Suites
> 3D Billy Fully
Roaad
> Pelican, St Maarten, N.A.
> 1.721.544.4441 (I doubt it works)
> info@... (I doubt it
works)
> simpsonbaysuites@... (I
doubt it works)
> Thanks in advance.
> Sincerely, Alexandre"

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Dear Amel friends,

I finally had the time, electricity and bandwidth to read the messages all of you sent.
I can’t tell you how touched I truly am.

Thanks you
Bill & Judy, Eric, Mark, Kent, Danny, Ian, Derek, Jean-Pierre, John, Hanspeter, Jeff, Peter, Trevor, Giovanni, Alex, Grazyna, Darren, Brent, James & Chloe, Mike & Petra, Ben & Gayle, Patrick & Elaine, Ian & Judy, Colin & Lauren, I hope I did not forget anyone.

Thanks Brent, I am glad I was able to help you in your studies.
Patrick & Elaine thanks for opening a bottle of Champagne !
Colin & Lauren, thank you again, I saw a Maramu in Island Water World that lost its mast, I could not see the name.
Also Rafael’s Super Maramu was in Anse Marcel, we are not sure.

Also thanks for being behind me regarding the insurance, I am afraid this will be the next fight, will see.

Duane & Peg, I am glad you only had 40/50kt of wind and Wanderer is safe!

How did Jeff do?

Sincerely, Alexandre

Mike Johnson

Hi Alex,

Thank you. Our thoughts and prayers are still with you.

Mike & Peta

Solitude
SM461